• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

It is better to be injured early than late in the season.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
This team has had it's moments and fair share of injuries this year. Some that hindered the growth of defensive rookies, and some that caused us to have to go to Landry Jones for a game.

The Steelers have placed 13 people on IR this season. Fortunately, only Cameron Heyward was a starter, and Marcus Wheaton, who was a contributor last year, was not able to make an impact this season. I personally thought Heyward's injury would be a season killer. We had a young, playmaking defense that relied on a strong D-line to free up our linebackers. Heyward was the catalyst on that line and one of the leaders of our new, young defense. When he went down in the Dallas game, I thought, well that's it. It was a fun year, but no chance to win it now. Sitting at 4-5, and now without their best defensive player, it was a daunting task for the steelers to compete, let alone get back into the playoffs. Because at this point, it looked like the Steelers had to win out to get there.

Then something odd happened. The Steelers started getting healthy, with some thanks to a late bye week. Ben returned to form after his knee surgery, Pouncey didn't let hand surgery stop him from missing a game. Dupree and Green came back from IR and the PUP. The rookies on D were all now starting, and playing well. Then we had a bunch of young WRs called up and they performed well too! The O-line solidified. The defense solidified and the rotations diminished. One good aspect from all of the early injuries, is it gave a lot of players time and experience to become better football players.

The Steelers started stacking wins. 6 to be exact, and that clinched the division for them. The 7th win was a bonus, or a gift depending on how you view the Browns ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Then #8 last week in a dominating performance against the fins.

This is not your first half of the season Steelers. This is a healthy, cohesive, confident group, who now, can play with anyone in the league. It is known that the best team in the league does not always win the Super bowl. Usually it's the team playing the best at the end of the season that wins it. This year, it looks like the Steelers may be the latter.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm ready. Damn right about it's usually the team playing the best. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why it can't be us this year. Let's do this!!

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Keep on keeping on! Sunday can't get here soon enough.

mdk2

Reaction score
This team has had it's moments and fair share of injuries this year. Some that hindered the growth of defensive rookies, and some that caused us to have to go to Landry Jones for a game.

The Steelers have placed 13 people on IR this season. Fortunately, only Cameron Heyward was a starter, and Marcus Wheaton, who was a contributor last year, was not able to make an impact this season. I personally thought Heyward's injury would be a season killer. We had a young, playmaking defense that relied on a strong D-line to free up our linebackers. Heyward was the catalyst on that line and one of the leaders of our new, young defense. When he went down in the Dallas game, I thought, well that's it. It was a fun year, but no chance to win it now. Sitting at 4-5, and now without their best defensive player, it was a daunting task for the steelers to compete, let alone get back into the playoffs. Because at this point, it looked like the Steelers had to win out to get there.

Then something odd happened. The Steelers started getting healthy, with some thanks to a late bye week. Ben returned to form after his knee surgery, Pouncey didn't let hand surgery stop him from missing a game. Dupree and Green came back from IR and the PUP. The rookies on D were all now starting, and playing well. Then we had a bunch of young WRs called up and they performed well too! The O-line solidified. The defense solidified and the rotations diminished. One good aspect from all of the early injuries, is it gave a lot of players time and experience to become better football players.

The Steelers started stacking wins. 6 to be exact, and that clinched the division for them. The 7th win was a bonus, or a gift depending on how you view the Browns ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Then #8 last week in a dominating performance against the fins.

This is not your first half of the season Steelers. This is a healthy, cohesive, confident group, who now, can play with anyone in the league. It is known that the best team in the league does not always win the Super bowl. Usually it's the team playing the best at the end of the season that wins it. This year, it looks like the Steelers may be the latter.

Very well said..

so amped for this Sunday!

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Heyward was a big loss but some things really offset that significant injury.

1 Tuitt's continuing maturation into the D. He has played well, and has continued to grow. Without that, I doubt the outcome would be were it sits today.

2 Dupree's return. Let's face it. Jarvis and Moats and Chickillo, for one reason or another are backups at best. This unit will lose one probably two in the off-season. So that will need to be addressed. Perhaps both in free agency and the draft.

3 Uncle Jarvis' benching. Not only is he a step slow more often than not, on run D he gets pushed around like a rag doll. One of the most disappointing draft picks within recent history. (Oh well even on a decent drafting team it is bound to happen here and there)

4. Hargrave - Burns and Davis get their due, but this cat perhaps is the underrated of the three in regards to being spoken of. Trust me the Steelers I am sure let all three know they are happy with them. And the even better news? Year one players don't usually peak until year 3-5. So we will see some continued growth here.

5 Offense - Sometimes a good defense is a good offense keeping them off the field. Somewhat true here. As although we see improvement. The O has to be explosive to keep a young D from being on the field too much.

Good things to come, hopefully even this year.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Back in '05 were weren't the best team in the playoffs but we were the healthiest.

Spike

Reaction score
Remember Ben's motorcycle crash?

13ben600.jpg

then YES!

Spike

Reaction score
I bet you are easily distracted by bright shiny objects