• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is Tomlin viewed more favorably outside of SN

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Yes, yes he is. Steeler Nation is spoiled. Many here must not watch any games other than the Steelers or pay attention to what other teams do

is Tomlin perfect, definitely not, but he is not the clueless bumbling idiot several here want you to believe he is

Stewey

Reaction score
Don't even have to read the article to know that Tomlin is viewed favorably outside of SN.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
I am smack dab in the middle of birds. Eagles to the north and Ravens to the south. 95% of those fans speaking highly and wonder why I am not a fan of Tomlin. He seems to be highly revered.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I am smack dab in the middle of birds. Eagles to the north and Ravens to the south. 95% of those fans speaking highly and wonder why I am not a fan of Tomlin. He seems to be highly revered.
agreed 100%. fans around Baltimore would gladly trade Harbaugh for Tomlin straight up

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
That graphic there listing the teams with zero playoff wins over the last five years says a lot. Not great company.

Ice The Kicker

Reaction score
That graphic there listing the teams with zero playoff wins over the last five years says a lot. Not great company.
Yep. Yet the deluded want you to believe that "we're lucky" and others would die to have him (which is complete and total bullshit).

I live outside of SN and I don't know anyone who speaks highly of him, or has ever claimed to want him as their coach. That is simply a statement of fact.

Ice The Kicker

Reaction score
Personally, I find it absolutely amazing that there's this supposed hot market for a HC that:

- Can't make in game adjustments to save his life
- Manages the clock horribly
- Is unable to control a locker room
- Has consistently played down to sub par teams through the years (and would have lost to good teams too had Ben not saved his *** on numerous occasions)
- Tied an 0-8 Lions team
- Sounds like a complete and total tosser at ALL of his press conferences
- Could never beat Belichick when it mattered most
- Hires and promotes sh*t coordinators

So, there are teams that would kill to be this lucky?

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Personally, I find it absolutely amazing that there's this supposed hot market for a HC that:

- Can't make in game adjustments to save his life
- Manages the clock horribly
- Is unable to control a locker room
- Has consistently played down to sub par teams through the years (and would have lost to good teams too had Ben not saved his *** on numerous occasions)
- Tied an 0-8 Lions team
- Sounds like a complete and total tosser at ALL of his press conferences
- Could never beat Belichick when it mattered most
- Hires and promotes sh*t coordinators

So, there are teams that would kill to be this lucky?
as I said....there are those here who have no clue how bad some of the coaches around the league are

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Yep. Yet the deluded want you to believe that "we're lucky" and others would die to have him (which is complete and total bullshit).

I live outside of SN and I don't know anyone who speaks highly of him, or has ever claimed to want him as their coach. That is simply a statement of fact.
there is no "outside of SN"

you may be outside of Pittsburgh, but Steeler Nation encompasses the whole Nation

Ice The Kicker

Reaction score
as I said....there are those here who have no clue how bad some of the coaches around the league are
Oh yeah. I’d hate to give up Coach Mushroom and end up with someone of the caliber of Belichick, McVay, Reid, Payton, Arians, LaFleur, Taylor, etc..

That would really suck.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Oh yeah. I’d hate to give up Coach Mushroom and end up with someone of the caliber of Belichick, McVay, Reid, Payton, Arians, LaFleur, Taylor, etc..

That would really suck.
your lame insults make your content unreadable

damn, how many ****** coaches have the browns had during Tomlin's tenure? or the bungles or the Texans, cowboys, lions, redskins, jaguars, and on and on

twatwaffle

Ice The Kicker

Reaction score
your lame insults make your content unreadable

damn, how many ****** coaches have the browns had during Tomlin's tenure? or the bungles or the Texans, cowboys, lions, redskins, jaguars, and on and on

twatwaffle
Ohhhh. I see. We’re comparing Tomlin to the coaches that were part of the bottom of the barrel sh*t teams. We’re not focusing on the good teams and their elite coaches. Got it.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Ohhhh. I see. We’re comparing Tomlin to the coaches that were part of the bottom of the barrel sh*t teams. We’re not focusing on the good teams and their elite coaches. Got it.
no dipshit the point of this thread is that there are a lot of bad coaches out there whose fans would love to have Tomlin.

you list a handful of coaches most of whom don't have the stats to match up to what Tomlin has done in wins and winning %

GMC

Contributor
Reaction score
"the fact remains that Tomlin has kept the Pittsburgh Steelers competitive every year in his tenure"
I think the problem with most, is the team has gone from competing for conference championships to competing for division titles and getting embarrassed in the first round of the playoffs (if they actually make it). Setting records in the wrong categories over the last three losses. Hopefully he can turn it around and get back to fielding a team that not only consistently makes the postseason but actually looks like they belong. Lack of quality depth has been a real issue as of late. I don't know if that's poor drafting or player development, but it has killed the team down the stretch the last five seasons. For me, there just hasn't been enough postseason success to warrant such a long tenure. It just seems as though the new standard is staying ≥ .500 each season.

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Yes, because all the rest of the country knows is "No losing seasons" and are unaware of his abysmal playoff record.
Hopefully that plus his creative use of language will be enough to get him a TV gig soon.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
So....Steeler fans should be happy that we've retained a head coach for 15 years and never had a losing season? Just be happy that you're not a fan of the browns, lions, jags and Jets? Be happy, it could be worse? Really?

Tomlin HAS a losing record. He is 8-9 in the playoffs and hasn't won a playoff game in SIX years. His playoff win percentage is .471 and for all of the bitching about Cowher playing Marty ball and couldn't win the big games, Cowher had a playoff win percentage of .571. Colbert has given this organization some great players and many believe that Mike's record is a reflection of that. While teams like the Browns have had 13 starting Quarterbacks since 2004, Mike Tomlin has had 1 future Hall of Famer. Unlike teams like Detroit who waste 12 seasons with Matt Stafford surrounding him with garbage players, Tomlin had weapons for his star QB year over year. While the Browns had 9 Head coaches, Washington 6, Detroit 7, Jaguars 8, Raiders 10 since 2007, Mike Tomlin had the luxury of knowing the Steelers are an organization of consistency and value it more than other teams.

The Steelers are fun to watch, and I really like several players on the team. But stop trying to guilt trip me as a fan into believing the Mike T hype. People outside of Steeler Nation are not as invested as us. They don't live in this microcosm of black and gold and don't have that day in day out perspective of what Captain Cool Shades is and what this fan base expects of him. I raised my kids to hold academics above all else and our philosophy was that an "A" was the standard, a "B" was good, and a "C" was average, and you never want to be average. Well, the Steelers are just that...a "C" product that occasionally becomes a "B", hasn't been an "A" in 11 years and we're supposed to be happy that despite having "A" potential, the team is consistently an average team?

Sorry, not going to happen. I have zero faith that Mike Tomlin will coach well enough and has developed a team culture capable of winning another Super Bowl.

steelcan58

Reaction score
I'll agree with this. But other coaches shortcomings being even worse is no excuse for not improving your own. As astute observers of Tomlin throughout the years I would say Steelers fans have a better handle on Tomlin's short comings than most.

Ice The Kicker

Reaction score
So....Steeler fans should be happy that we've retained a head coach for 15 years and never had a losing season? Just be happy that you're not a fan of the browns, lions, jags and Jets? Be happy, it could be worse? Really?
Yep. It seems that some are asking that we NOT clean the the sh*t from our eyes and just drink the kool aid that we're being served.

Again, I live in an area where there are MANY transplants from all around the country. I also talk with football with many non-Steeler fans. I can tell you with extrmeme sincerity that I have NEVER heard one of those individuals say that we are lucky, or claim to want him as their head coach. The very vast majority of non-Steeler fans that I talk with know the reason why we are stuck with him and say things like "your owner is really handcuffing you guys", OR "Ben would have had another ring or two if not for Skid".

Personally, I don't think Cookie believes the jive that he is slinging. I believe this is more about playing politics and appeasing certain folks by saying things like no man, we're lucky. We could be the Lions. People wish they had what we do.

It's just funny how I never EVER run into any of these people in the real world.

Last edited:

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
there is no "outside of SN"

you may be outside of Pittsburgh, but Steeler Nation encompasses the whole Nation / WORLD.!

Just clarifying things.

Salute the nation

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I'll agree with this. But other coaches shortcomings being even worse is no excuse for not improving your own. As astute observers of Tomlin throughout the years I would say Steelers fans have a better handle on Tomlin's short comings than most.
of course we are

but many don't see the same shortcomings in the other "Great" coaches. they don't live and die by the decisions made by those guys, they don't watch the games with the same intensity. ALL coaches make mistakes, ALL coaches could improve on many of the same things we find fault with Tomlin for

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin is a very good coach based on win / loss %'s.

Barely average when looking at on the field of play "COACH".

This season's team is 100% Coach Tomlin's, including coaching staff and parking meter stadium personnel.

I always want the STEELERS to preserve and that includes Coach Tomlin.

Can he step up and coach better, I'm hoping so but will hold judgement to see what plays out. If more moronic on field displays continue, I will as usual be calling for change. Each year is a new hope of improvement but then how often does that happen, not nearly enough as of late.

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I don't think Tomlin is a bad coach or a great coach. He's just kind of 'meh.'
I think that each season he does as good a coaching job as he can possibly do.
Which since the team has been all his, means at best 10-12 wins and a first round playoff loss.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Yep. It seems that some are asking that we NOT clean the the sh*t from our eyes and just drink the kool aid that we're being served.

Again, I live in an area where there are MANY transplants from all around the country. I also talk with football with many non-Steeler fans. I can tell you with extrmeme sincerity that I have NEVER heard one of those individuals say that we are lucky, or claim to want him as their head coach. The very vast majority of non-Steeler fans that I talk with know the reason why we are stuck with him and say things like "your owner is really handcuffing you guys", OR "Ben would have had another ring or two if not for Skid".

Personally, I don't think Cookie believes the jive that he is slinging. I believe this is more about playing politics and appeasing certain folks by saying things like no man, we're lucky. We could be the Lions. People wish they had what we do.

It's just funny how I never EVER run into any of these people in the real world.
further proof that you don't know jack ****

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin comes off as a good guy, which he probably is, and that's what the rest of the country sees.
It's easy for us to find fault with him because we focus on this one team, waiting for the Steelers to become relevant again, and knowing
that the decisions made by the coaching staff, from the HC on down, will play a big role in that.