• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is Porter on the Purple Drink or does he see something most here don't

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...10-sacks?campaign=fb-nf-sf32314550-sf32314550

The Pittsburgh Steelers haven't had a single player record double-digit sacks since 2010, six seasons ago, when LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison both topped 10 quarterback takedowns.

Linebackers coach Joey Porter believes both Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree can go for 10 sacks in 2016.

"If (Jones) stays healthy, I still see him being a guy who can give you double-digit sacks. I really do," Porter told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

He doubled down on Dupree: "I'm expecting double-digit sacks out of him, too."

Porter said he expects to use a rotation less this season than last year, when Harrison and Arthur Moats saw plenty of snaps in place of their younger counterparts.

"Last year, a lot of times I pulled (Dupree) out of the game, a learning experience," Porter said. "I can't really justify myself doing that now. If those guys are out there doing it and they know the defense, there's no reason to pull them."

It's easy to project in camp that the young, former first-round picks will play heavily and produce like we haven't seen out of Steelers pass rushers in more than half a decade. It will be harder once games actually start.

Harrison, a seemingly ageless veteran, will still see plenty of snaps, particularly in passing downs, which means either Jones or Dupree will come off the field more than Porter hopes. Given Dupree's upside and production as a rookie, we'd expect Jones to be the one conceding snaps.

Porter believes the Steelers declining Jones' fifth-year option, after three mostly disappointing years, could be the push needed for the former first-round selection.

"We're going to light the fire under you to see where you stand. Like, we need to see it; this is year four," Porter said of the team's decision.

If Jones, who has never earned more than two sacks in any season, comes close to getting to double-digits, consider that fire lit.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Joey likes to talk and promote his guys., but is fun to listen too. Jarvis Jones has a slightly better opportunity to get double digits sacks than you Coolie. No speed, little more strength. C'mon Joey. Lets get real.

P

POP

It's "Purple DRANK" and he seems to be on about 5 gallons of it.

I have seen nothing out of JJ in 3 years that suggests he's a double digit sack guy. More like a "2" sack guy, seriously.

Jones isn't strong, or quick or fast or physical. He titty fights like Gildong.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Would Have to be a VERY large fire to get Uncle Jarvis to double digit sack count this year. Like many here, I too see the weak, non-aggressive disappointment out of UJ. Fight fire with sacks, it's what will keep his job !!!!!

Salute the nation

FordFairLane

Reaction score
What's he going to say? He's slow, unauthentic, and a bust?

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Git 'em Uncle Jarvis. Joey is just being nice

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
What's he going to say? He's slow, unauthentic, and a bust?

Rather than place unreal expectations on Jarvis, he could have said it was an important year for him and while he has the potential to be an impact player, they need to see more production.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
"If (Jones) stays healthy, I still see him being a guy who can give you double-digit sacks. I really do," Porter told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

"If Jones stays healthy." When has he given ANY indication he can 1) stay healthy and 2) get more than two sacks? Coach Peezy is a funny man.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pulling for Uncle Jarvis as I would pull for any STEELERS player to do good. Never wish bad and if by chance he TURNS the corner into production, I'll be happy. This time of year is like everyone starts at zero and builds from there. Even the Browns are tied with us in our devision.

Salute the nation

Wingman

Reaction score
If Jones gets 4 sacks this year will that get him ten total? Maybe that is what Joey is talking about.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
It could be that he is coughing a warning to JJ that he needs to step up in the form of praise.

blitzburghv5

Reaction score
Its do or die, make or break, piss or get off..........Jarvis needs to "Impact" this season else he wont get another contract. But, we do know he will end up in either Tenn or Arizona's camp next season.

P

POP

I'm pulling for Uncle Jarvis as I would pull for any STEELERS player to do good. Never wish bad and if by chance he TURNS the corner into production, I'll be happy. This time of year is like everyone starts at zero and builds from there. Even the Browns are tied with us in our devision.

No one said they were rooting for JJ to fail; it's just that we know what we have seen for 3 years.

steelrzgirl

Forefather
Reaction score
It could be that he is coughing a warning to JJ that he needs to step up in the form of praise.
Thats exactly how I read it. Joey is a blue collar man's man, player's coach, he's not gonna just come out and say he sucks bals. But he might still have some lean up in his cup.

P

POP

"If Jones stays healthy." When has he given ANY indication he can 1) stay healthy and 2) get more than two sacks? Coach Peezy is a funny man.

Hey, somehow Coolie doesn't take down your vids. Double standards alive and well.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Hey, somehow Coolie doesn't take down your vids. Double standards alive and well.

That or I'm a Lifetime paid member.

fogdoctor

Reaction score
Straight up crack cocaine. Forget the purple drank.

obxsteeler

Reaction score
Porter is the only commenter here who has worked with the OLB's every day and has 10 sacks himself. Could be he does see something we don't.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Straight up Dupree could get 10 sacks. He had what 4 last year. He had limited opportunity at the beginning of the season and had a rookie fade at the end. He should start coming into his own this year. JJ no way. First oFF he shares third down with Harrison where most sacks occur. He won't even have the opportunity little lone ability to get 10 plus sacks.

fogdoctor

Reaction score
With luck, JJ may get 10 sacks for his career - but I doubt it.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score

Its not about the videos.

Its about you are a ********.