• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is it time to be concerned with Edmunds?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Our secondary has been much better the last two years. Say what you want about Edmunds but he may be the supposed weak link but he isn't bad and he makes a ton of tackles and while he has missed some it isn't any worse than others on the team. He is improving in coverage and gives us some toughness. He will continue to get better playing a whole preseason with the Minkah.

But all of that is moot in your mind this is the current agenda driven post.

He misses dissing Davis

and had to find someone's nuts to latch onto.

cooch I will point you in the right direction - see Offense

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Edmunds is the weak link in the secondary. Some #'s

https://Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2020/01/steelers-2019-defensive-charting-season-in-review/

– Target stats from the year.

Sean Davis: 1/1 13 yards 0 TDs 0 INTs
Artie Burns: 2/2 28 yards, 0 TDs 0 INTs
Kam Kelly: 4/4 49 yards, 1 TD 0 INTs
Minkah Fitzpatrick: 7/16 58 yards 2 TDs 4 INTs
Cam Sutton: 9/20 81 yards 0 TDs 1 INT
Mike Hilton: 13/29 189 yards 2 TDs 1 INT

Terrell Edmunds: 21/30 330 yards 5 TDs 0 INTs ( 72.5% competitions allowed )

Steven Nelson: 23/44 323 yards 0 TDs 1 INT
Joe Haden: 27/57 333 yards 4 TDs 6 INTs

– QB rating when each player was targeted:

Sutton: 35.7
Haden: 49.7
Fitzpatrick: 53.7
Nelson: 66.8
Hilton: 75.2
Williams: 78.1
Barron: 81.4
Bush: 96.9
Davis: 118.8
Burns: 118.8
Edmunds: 139.6
Kelly: 157.3

– Davis and Burns have very, very small sample sizes and should be taken with a grain of salt.

– Want to know why Fitzpatrick was quiet over the final portion of the season? Over his final eight weeks, he was targeted just twice. Teams wised up and simply stopped throwing the ball anywhere near him.

>> Edmunds only has 3 passed defenses for the season, which is the lowest amount of any starting safety in the NFL that played a full season. Or if you prefer 227 players on defense, had more pass defenses.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/play.../table/defensive/sort/passesDefended/dir/desc

0 sacks. 0 Forced fumbles For Edmunds.

Edmunds has gone 29 games without an interception, and the one he had was a very easy play. My money's on 0-32, which would mean two full seasons with no interceptions.

Did I mention he lead the team in missed tackles?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdmuTe00.htm

Coach's Take: Its clear Edmunds was over-drafted. Many said so. The Steelers swung and missed. While Edmunds is not an Artie Burns type of bust, he's the weak link on the defense. Poor in coverage, not a ball skills guy at all, and missing too many tackles. The Steelers might sign a veteran safety in free agency, or spend a 4th-7th round draft pick on a safety. Depth is needed at safety as well, so I expect the Steelers to do something at safety during the offseason beyond bringing in rookie free agents. The best thing I could say about Edmunds is he's very cheap on the cap and durable.

As mentioned before Dumb ***, Depot’s stats are not official. You are clueless to even realize you used Edmonds individual stat line link from an official stat site (ProFootball Reference) yet jabber your opinion of missed tackles not based on data itself. Edmunds didn’t lead the team in missed tackles you idiot, as reported before, but you ignore facts, Bush and Dupree lead the team. Edmonds had 11 MTs while playing the most snaps. Putting him behind every DB except Hilton and Nelson in MT% (9.5).

Keeping us on our toes as to how NOT be stupid, would be the appropriate signature.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Davis sucked. Adios. His coverage was graded as worse than Edmunds.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

It has been your opinion that Davis sucked the moment he was drafted. But you had no actual rationalization to that conclusion except by constantly dead panning the pick, and inventing observations of his performance as a coverage safety, when he only played one year as one.

The true rationalization you show is that you suck at player evaluations.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Let's say that burns davis and Edmund's is gone. Who is next on agenda?

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Great post Coach, look how highly it lists Davis...

steelhurt

Reaction score
Coach, why do you continue to do this to yourself. By God man, learn from your mistakes. You don’t always have to be a right fighter to try and prove everyone wrong.
It’s the same every year, we draft someone you didn’t like so from the start the kid has a Coach Target on his back. Then you use some bullshit site to apply to the kid and make him look like a loser to prove you were right and everyone is stupid.
Most of the posters here whether you like it or not are well prepared and have knowledge based on legitimate sites and from doing their due diligence, but jeez Coach you challenge these guys and make yourself look foolish.
I don’t get it at all. These guys continue to bury you but you keep putting yourself in the line of fire. If you’re going to challenge at least come prepared and based on facts from legit sites not what some blogger writes.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
The one thing I notice about Edmunds is that he seems to constantly be trailing the play, like he is always one step behind as if he is late to recognize the play and react appropriately. My hope is that he will improve. Wish we had gotten his brother.

Reactions: xjx

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Coach, why do you continue to do this to yourself. By God man, learn from your mistakes. You don’t always have to be a right fighter to try and prove everyone wrong.
It’s the same every year, we draft someone you didn’t like so from the start the kid has a Coach Target on his back. Then you use some bullshit site to apply to the kid and make him look like a loser to prove you were right and everyone is stupid.
Most of the posters here whether you like it or not are well prepared and have knowledge based on legitimate sites and from doing their due diligence, but jeez Coach you challenge these guys and make yourself look foolish.
I don’t get it at all. These guys continue to bury you but you keep putting yourself in the line of fire. If you’re going to challenge at least come prepared and based on facts from legit sites not what some blogger writes.

For some reason, I don't think any of the players are saying, "Damn bro. Coach has me in his sights. My career is obviously over, if you will and things of that nature."

steelhurt

Reaction score
For some reason, I don't think any of the players are saying, "Damn bro. Coach has me in his sights. My career is obviously over, if you will and things of that nature."

Yes, I do believe Coach is irrelevant in their lives.

steelhurt

Reaction score
The one thing I notice about Edmunds is that he seems to constantly be trailing the play, like he is always one step behind as if he is late to recognize the play and react appropriately. My hope is that he will improve. Wish we had gotten his brother.

Edmunds is still learning and will improve his awareness for his assignments. He’s got the speed but just needs to be better on knowing his assignments and trust that he will. The only knock if you will that I ever had was not on the kid himself but thought we drafted him too high. Thought we could have gotten him later rounds but what do I know. Apparently Colbert and Tomlin thought he wouldn’t be there later.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score