• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is it Finally Time for Keith Butler to Go?

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
I watched as we consistently ran both Bostic and Williams to the outside to cover a WR one on one. Whoever our LBers were matched up against is who KC went to with the pass pretty much. It was a pathetic gameplan, the scheme just isn't working. When you have the athletes that we have, we should not be struggling on D the way we are. Look at some of the top defenses in the league, they are not complicated defenses. They simply put the players in the best position to succeed. We don't play to our strengths, we make it easy to exploit our weaknesses.

I never thought that Butler was a good choice for the DC. Yes it is time for him to go, it was time for him to go when LeBeau was let go...

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Horrible over coaching just 5 men in the box is a sin... you are taught from the time you pickup a football in WPA the game is won on the line of scrimmage. You out block and tackle the other team you win. Butlers ridiculous formations are killing this team. Line up eight of the best players I.e. Heywood, tuitt at ends, Hargrave, Alualu at tackles, watt and Dupree at outside linebacker, johnson and Edmunds in the box and go at the other team you go hard every fing play and this group will win! They are big, physical and fast! They will destroy the the other team! The steeler curtain would be back baby!!!! Keep lining them up in these lame excuses of a defense with one and two men lines and we will continue to lose! Simple as that this ain’t rocket science!

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
From the article, they are not making adjustments because they don't want to overload some of the players. So Watt was left out in single coverage on Watkins 2 plays in a row. If I am our DC I count my blessings the first time it happened and Watkins only ran a curl route. For it to happen again the very next play on the over throw is just disturbing.

I was yelling at my tv... What the **** are you doing on that Watt coverage. It makes no sense at all. Well if you're trying to lose a ball game that would be the way. That zone crap will lose all day given the players they have. I could see if it was loaded. They'd be better off running a 4-3. Maybe some blitzes and man coverage. All I know is the middle of the field is a playground for any QB playing them, our zone coverage sucks balls and nobody can tackle worth a ****.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah as we revisit this question, I suspect the answer during the year will never change from

yes.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Not to mention the D went downhill fast once Tomlin supposedly took over play calling last season.
Exactly, just look at what Jacksonville did to us in the playoffs, not sure who called the Detroit game, yeah we won, but they moved the ball up and down the field on us, but we didn't let them in the endzone, the Ravens scored a **** load on us.
If Butler is fired and replaced, Tomlin needs to stay the hell out of the defense and let the DC do his job

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
KC saw the mismatch and attempted to exploit it. We saw the mismatch and ran the same play again. I just do not understand the thinking defensively at all.

This reminded me of something that's been mentioned here over the years on Tomlin's watch. "They wouldn't be expecting it".

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
This reminded me of something that's been mentioned here over the years on Tomlin's watch. "They wouldn't be expecting it".

Monday Steelers should play some good defense,

as us fans wouldn't expect it.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I know myself and others have stated this many times but thought I'd throw it out there again since I just read this on GD's chat on the PG. A guest asked "Monday Night it really looked like Tomlin was calling the defenses and Butler was radioing them in? What do you think?". And, GD, basically said Tomlin is and he has been saying this since last year and that Butler is not to blame as he is not calling all of the defenses.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
I know myself and others have stated this many times but thought I'd throw it out there again since I just read this on GD's chat on the PG. A guest asked "Monday Night it really looked like Tomlin was calling the defenses and Butler was radioing them in? What do you think?". And, GD, basically said Tomlin is and he has been saying this since last year and that Butler is not to blame as he is not calling all of the defenses.

Gives more credence to those of us who want Tomlin fired

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Press conference they asked Tomlin does he call the D plays, he said no.

Time to let Butler answer the door, then exit through it.

Maybe the guy who hired him should be held accountable too?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Fact or fiction?

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If Butler is fired and replaced, Tomlin needs to stay the hell out of the defense and let the DC do his job
IMO That is why Butler was hired. He will be the scape goat for this dysfunctional defensive scheme that Tomlin is hell bent on running. Butler is a LeBeau apprentice, how many times have we EVER seen LeBeau run a 2 DL formation? Do I believe that Butler just decided to go with it, or the fact that the Bucs and Vikings both used the 2 DL formation when Tomlin was in both places? Coincidence?

mr peeples

Banned
Reaction score
A. The Steelers, as a whole, look to hide from accountability. We don't know who makes which decisions BY DESIGN, including the Rooneys themselves. This includes the draft as well.

B. Butler is "loyal" and he will get a free ride for years, as he already has. There is NOTHING special about the guy and his schemes are a decade too old.

Harry_BZAC

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't understand why Sean Davis wouldn't be drifting more towards the side in which TJ Watt is covering Sammie Watkins? He should be seeing stuff like that.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Just watched buffalo destroy Minnesota wish I could post screen shots on here but man it about scheming. I wouldn’t say buffalo has more talent than we do it’s how they use but. You watch that game and you see two good tuff defenses that play it straight no chaser, defenses that challenges the offense every play right on the line of scrimmage. They don’t do a lot of fancy **** but they do create pass rush situations that really get after the qb. You let any qb in the nfl just stand in the pocket and throw the ball unmolested they will pick you apart I dont care who’s in the secondary.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just watched buffalo destroy Minnesota wish I could post screen shots on here but man it about scheming. I wouldn’t say buffalo has more talent than we do it’s how they use but. You watch that game and you see two good tuff defenses that play it straight no chaser, defenses that challenges the offense every play right on the line of scrimmage. They don’t do a lot of fancy **** but they do create pass rush situations that really get after the qb. You let any qb in the nfl just stand in the pocket and throw the ball unmolested they will pick you apart I dont care who’s in the secondary.

I've noticed when BIG Dan collapses the pocket, the QB has trouble, when no pressure they pick us apart. Do the math and YOU are 100% correct. Our 2DL set is a ******* JOKE except we, as fans, aren't laughing.

Salute the nation