• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is Burns our best deep match up on A.J. Green?

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Id spike his cornflakes with laxative, watch him run post routes to the bathroom all day long.

ark steel

Reaction score
Hasn't he put up big numbers on us in the last 2 years, yet we are still 3-1 against the Bengals?

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, did Gilbert play against Green when he was with the stains? I'm trying to dig up info/stats on this man to man match up.

ark steel

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, did Gilbert play against Green when he was with the stains? I'm trying to dig up info/stats on this man to man match up.

probably would have been their CB that is actually good. Haydon? Not sure if that is his name or not.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
they used to put Ike on Green in man and he would shut green down because Ike had size and speed. Burns is the only DB who might be able to cover him due to his long arms. That's why i'd be shocked if they play man on Green.

They are without Eifert and his backup Kroft at TE. Their other WRs are Brandon LaFell and Tyler Boyd. Neither is a gamebreaker. If anything, i'd play man on their #2 WR and bracket Green with 3 guys.

obxsteeler

Reaction score
Shazier is hurting, Golden, solid, Davis missed a tackle last week that went for extra yardage.

My take was he was knocked of the tackle by a teammate. He also had 4 tackles-3 solo. Not bad for a rookie-you may be wrong again.

chipped ham

Reaction score
My take was he was knocked of the tackle by a teammate. He also had 4 tackles-3 solo. Not bad for a rookie-you may be wrong again.

You're right. Fort came in like a missle and knocked Davis off the man. Honestly, I thought Davis had a pretty solid game. I also was very impressed with Golden. He was popping people all night long, was probably our most consistent tackler, and if the offensive player made the catch, he was right on top of him. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come from him.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
You're right. Fort came in like a missle and knocked Davis off the man. Honestly, I thought Davis had a pretty solid game. I also was very impressed with Golden. He was popping people all night long, was probably our most consistent tackler, and if the offensive player made the catch, he was right on top of him. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come from him.

yeap, agree. I said that too on another thread, Davis was tackled when he was wrapping up the ball carrier.
I like how fast the team is hitting the receivers and in numbers, I mean many times the first defender gets to the player and less than a second later two or three more gang tackle him to the ground.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Team speed is has been improved and it shows up on film..hopefully we get more fumbles

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Truthfully, I hope they just roll coverage to his side and keep that safety deep. That way he's always in front of the safety to help prevent that big play. I like Gay in straight up coverage but I like Cockrell's size when it comes to jamming and being physical with Green. I say play each to their strengths. Green will get his catches, not going to stop that, but if we can stop the big plays and keep being patient I think we will be just fine.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Truthfully, I hope they just roll coverage to his side and keep that safety deep. That way he's always in front of the safety to help prevent that big play. I like Gay in straight up coverage but I like Cockrell's size when it comes to jamming and being physical with Green. I say play each to their strengths. Green will get his catches, not going to stop that, but if we can stop the big plays and keep being patient I think we will be just fine.

If the Steelers get some pass pressure, that works just fine. If Dalton has all day to throw the ball, then Green is going to get open down the field. And other receivers will work their way open.

Need to hit Dalton within 3 seconds of the snap. James, you reading this?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Shane Falco

Contributor
Reaction score
Justin Gilbert might not be a bad thought here. He has both size and speed. Plus, he's also played against Green. I know, it's a stretch, but still a possible option.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Burns was whipped like a rented mule vs AB so lets try him out on another top NFL receiver. No, I put Cockrell on him and have him get physical (which AJ hates) and roll coverage over top to prevent anything deep. He's going to get his catches it is what it is but lets prevent any one-on-ones with no safety help and always keep him in front of the defense.
This.

I refuse to let Coach mess up my night w/ this speculative dream...

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Justin Gilbert might not be a bad thought here. He has both size and speed. Plus, he's also played against Green. I know, it's a stretch, but still a possible option.

I like this idea. I wonder how Justin is coming along is practices???

This is a thread worth talking about instead of assuming that Artie is ready to match up w/ AJ Green...

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I like this idea. I wonder how Justin is coming along is practices???

This is a thread worth talking about instead of assuming that Artie is ready to match up w/ AJ Green...

I think both might be a option....just thinking both perhaps just not yet.

One is raw and Justin is still fresh on the scheme

if yinz know wut I mean

P

POP

My Brown fan friends tell me he will get scorched any time he is in one on one coverage.

Shane Falco

Contributor
Reaction score
In a related subject, I think the kid can get better coaching here. He has all the tangibles that you want. It's putting him in a system where he can succeed. Could Gilbert and Burns be the bookends of the future?

I think both might be a option....just thinking both perhaps just not yet.

One is raw and Justin is still fresh on the scheme

if yinz know wut I mean

skialta

Reaction score
What a great idea. Put one of the 5 best receivers in the game across from the rook. What's the worst that could happen?4? 5 touchdowns before the switch?