• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

I'm confused about something. help me out with it.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I understand the drug policy in the NFL.

First suspension is 4 games
Second suspension is 10 games
Third suspension is a year

So why is Bryant serving a year's suspension, when he never served the 2nd tier 10 game suspension?

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's by suspension but by failed tests. Bryant failed 4 or 5 tests total. With Goddell, who the heck knows.

Wingman

Reaction score
It also involved the steelers so instead of not getting the suspensions they will be levied for some grey area of the game. Or some little known aspect of it. James Harrisons fines for example for a hit vs the cheatriots for cheating, comes to mind.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Bryant returned four dirty piss samples before he was suspended the first time.

The league seems to be much more lenient toward marijuana use than I initially thought, probably because they know a large percentage of their players use it in some capacity, and they would be fielding practice squad teams on Sunday's if they were more strict toward it.

Wingman

Reaction score

The league seems to be much more lenient toward marijuana use than I initially thought, probably because they know a large percentage of their players use it in some capacity, and they would be fielding practice squad teams on Sunday's if they were more strict toward it.

If that is the case maybe they should become more strict, and if it involves replacement players on teams that could send a very positive message to fans and players. In many jobs I have had a failed test means you are no longer employed, drugs or alcohol and can be administered anytime. Sounds like a good policy to clean up the game and players and maybe some of the dumbass choices they make will go down in number. Better decisions through less impairment.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
If that is the case maybe they should become more strict, and if it involves replacement players on teams that could send a very positive message to fans and players. In many jobs I have had a failed test means you are no longer employed, drugs or alcohol and can be administered anytime. Sounds like a good policy to clean up the game and players and maybe some of the dumbass choices they make will go down in number. Better decisions through less impairment.

The problem is that marijuana use is very pervasive in the black community, which represents the bulk of athletes in the NFL.

It's the same reason one rarely sees marijuana-based suspensions in the NBA.

The owners want to ensure their best players are on the field/court at all times.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score

That is the norm to get issued your first 4 game suspension. I still have never heard why his 10 game suspension was bypassed and he moved straight to a year off.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
The problem is that marijuana use is very pervasive in the black community, which represents the bulk of athletes in the NFL.

It's the same reason one rarely sees marijuana-based suspensions in the NBA.

The owners want to ensure their best players are on the field/court at all times.

Blacks Smoke Marijuana Less Than Whites, Get Arrested More
Gus Lubin Oct. 28, 2010, 6:23 PM 8,185 30

A new study out of California just provided a great talking point for the Prop 19 campaign.

From LA Times:

White people between the ages of 18 and 25 use marijuana at a higher rate than their black peers, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, so you would naturally assume that young white people would also have a higher arrest rate for marijuana possession than young black people. But that's not the case. A report released last week found that police in California's biggest cities arrest blacks for possession at four, five and even 13 times the rate of whites.

Just in the black community huh???

Punxsutawney

Reaction score

A new study out of California just provided a great talking point for the Prop 19 campaign.

From LA Times:

White people between the ages of 18 and 25 use marijuana at a higher rate than their black peers, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, so you would naturally assume that young white people would also have a higher arrest rate for marijuana possession than young black people. But that's not the case. A report released last week found that police in California's biggest cities arrest blacks for possession at four, five and even 13 times the rate of whites.

Where, exactly, did I compare black marijuana use to that of whites?

Blacks smoke a lot of green, as do whites, but blacks represent most of the athletes in both the NFL and NBA.

I'm not sure what the policies of predominately white leagues like MLB and NHL are, but it seems next to unheard of to see a marijuana-based suspension in professional baseball or hockey.

Last edited:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Where, exactly, did I compare black marijuana use to that of whites?

Blacks smoke a lot of green, as do whites, but blacks represent most of the athletes in both the NFL and NBA.

I'm not sure what what policies of predominately white leagues like MLB and NHL are, but it seems next to unheard of to see a marijuana-based suspension in professional baseball or hockey.

It's no more pervasive then it is any other community is my point. It's pervasive in all young people in all communities

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Bryant was suspended 4 games for his fourth failed test last season. He then missed 2 more tests accelerating him past the ten game suspension to the whole season.

Troglodyte

Reaction score

From LA Times:

Blacks are stupidly indiscreet when smoking. I've smelled and seen black people smoking in their cars or in public many times.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Blacks are stupidly indiscreet when smoking. I've smelled and seen black people smoking in their cars or in public many times.

Go Steelers

awboatguy

Reaction score

From LA Times:

I say protest! Hit the streets and rise up for Potheads everywhere! Pothead lives matter!

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bryant was suspended 4 games for his fourth failed test last season. He then missed 2 more tests accelerating him past the ten game suspension to the whole season.
I believe that is Cope's question.
Why was he not given 10 games instead of the entire season?

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
potheads don't protest. takes too much energy. would rather eat cheetos and play xbox.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I believe that is Cope's question.
Why was he not given 10 games instead of the entire season?

Because the 10 game suspension for the second to last offense was superseded by the one year suspension for the last failed test. It wasn't like he only failed one test and they gave him a year. He failed one which would have triggered the 10 game suspension. Then he failed the second which triggered the one year suspension. My guess is that there is something in the CBA that says the suspensions in such a case will be served concurrently rather than consecutively. Let's be glad for that.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

Beat me to it. It's not like they wait a year to test you again if you fail. He failed or missed the second test and then a third before the next season even started.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I understand the drug policy in the NFL.

First suspension is 4 games
Second suspension is 10 games
Third suspension is a year

So why is Bryant serving a year's suspension, when he never served the 2nd tier 10 game suspension?

Why is Bell next offense if he flunks a test only 4 games? I guess suspensions are whatever the Kaiser Goodell wants.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Why is Bell next offense if he flunks a test only 4 games? I guess suspensions are whatever the Kaiser Goodell wants.

It was part of the settlement in his appeal. More evidence that he never tested positive for weed smoking and that his suspension was for missing tests. And for those about to say well missed them cause he knew he would test positive I'm pretty sure they tested him in a timely timeframe to make sure he didn't miss the tests because he was dirty. So because he never tested positive he was able to negotiate that he stay at the 4 game level if suspended

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
How did Gordon get a full season suspension last season, now he's only at 4 this season? If I'm reading all that right

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
How did Gordon get a full season suspension last season, now he's only at 4 this season? If I'm reading all that right

He was suspended again for testing positive while he was suspended and getting a DUI.