• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

How is Pgh picked to be last in North a "mystery?"

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
All true and the fact we are sans Canada and "Little Hands" gives us a real shot at being better than 2023. But even then, is it really so "hard to fathom" us being last in the div. as the article states? Is that really such a preposterous concept to even consider? We are the home of the undisciplined, sloppy coaching and practicing. I don't know if Kahn can infiltrate that area, it might be too far out of his official area of influence. The team is a given to be unprepared for nearly half its games. many of which vs. the weakest of teams. Last year we got beat by two of the very worst teams in the entire NFL (AZ, NE). Never had we lost to 2 teams that bad in consecutive weeks. We were 1-4 in that stretch, having lost to Cleveland, AZ NE and Indy; the only 2 wins in a 6-game stretch were to Cinci and their backup QB or we would've gone 0-6. Shades is a fraud. Half the time his teams show up unfocused, unprepared, undisciplined and simply not ready to play. But it's a HUGE stretch to imagine this team in last place?

Look, I don't think it's likely we will end up in last I'm just saying it isn't an inconceivable spot for us to be in, all things considered. Tomlin will probably get lucky and run into a stretch of playing all backup QB for 4 games straight right in his darkest hour. On paper (as it looks right now) we have the 3rd hardest schedule in the NFL. We got the 6 div. games (Browns, Bengals, Ravens twice) and Dallas, KC, Chargers, Giants, Jets, Falcons, Denver, Colts, Raiders, Eagles and DC. That looks like 9-8 from here. 10-7 possible. Is it inconceivable that we could end up 8-9? Or that 9-8 could be last? The article acts like being in last is an impossible outcome, one that only a crazy loon would predict.

I don’t think anyone here is arguing surprise or NOT surprise other than you.

Most here have been around long enough to know this division is up for grabs most any given year. We’ve all seen the division rankings pro and con, but have seen those rankings change from beginning of season to season’s end.

Bottom line is——— I don’t think much anybody here gives a **** about the ranking’s, or the surprise you proplex.

Salute the nation

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Since the Steelers play down to their worse opponents, I'd rather have a tough schedule.
That's true, but some of our better opponents have totally slobberknockered us the last few years too (i.e. 9ers, Eagles, Bills, Texans, etc.). Those matchups were never even a game. It was like we never even put up an effort.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone here is arguing surprise or NOT surprise other than you.

Most here have been around long enough to know this division is up for grabs most any given year. We’ve all seen the division rankings pro and con, but have seen those rankings change from beginning of season to season’s end.

Bottom line is——— I don’t think much anybody here gives a **** about the ranking’s, or the surprise you proplex.

Salute the nation
Wait, I'm pretty sure my entire post specified the author of the article expressed a massive disbelief that anyone would predict we could end up last in the div. I'll have to read what I posted again but I believe my comments were directed of the author of the article, not in any posters on this board.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Again, this is all on paper. If Burrow doesn't get hurt last year then we probably finish last in the division. If, God forbid, Wilson gets hurt this year then we will assuredly be last.
Anything can happen.
It's fun to make predictions but that's why I rarely bet real money.

xjx

Reaction score
Anything can happen. Arthur Smith will scheme up tomlin approved plays while Matt Canada sips lemonade on his patio. Will Russ put the team first or will he put his " brand" first? Can Tomlin turn Fields into a competent qb....especially in the 4th quarter? Will Burrow return to form? Watson?

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Again, this is all on paper. If Burrow doesn't get hurt last year then we probably finish last in the division. If, God forbid, Wilson gets hurt this year then we will assuredly be last.
Anything can happen.
It's fun to make predictions but that's why I rarely bet real money.

I’m on that boat as well Ron, I don’t gamble other than 1
$1.00 football pools and I only use winning money at that.

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
We have a more difficult schedule this year over the last 2, on paper. 1st of all, our div. is tough. We had excellent results last year inner div. A lot was luck, with getting Cinci sans Burrow for 2 games, getting Balt. minus its starters for another,that's 3 games right there that could switch results and that would be a huge difference in season outcome. We got the NFC East, no easy breeze with Dallas and Philly in there, DC/NYG definitely winnable, as it looks right now. I'll go 3-3 in div, 2-2 in NFCE games. That's 5-5 to start. Then we got KC, LAC, Broncos (with Peyton in year 2), Indy, Raiders, Falcons and Jets (who knows who their QB will be). I'd say 4-3 or 3-4. 9-8 or 8-9. You have to figure a few Tomlin "throw up in your mouth" games where they team comes out flat as hell for bad losses to the worst teams like every season.
Curious how you think this schedule could be more difficult than last year.. based on last years results, this years schedule has fewer wins, fewer teams with winning records, fewer playoff teams... even the travel was worse last season...

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Curious how you think this schedule could be more difficult than last year.. based on last years results, this years schedule has fewer wins, fewer teams with winning records, fewer playoff teams... even the travel was worse last season...
I'm just going off the oficial narrative of what the media is touting, not that it's meaningful one way or the other. The media was saying that the Steelers have the 3rd hardest schedule in the league. But now I'm seeing where they are saying Pgh has THE hardest schedule in the entire NFL. I guess you'd have to ask them how they came up with it.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/nfl-strength-of-schedule/

What NFL team has the hardest schedule in 2024:

Based on projected win totals, the Pittsburgh Steelers have the hardest strength of schedule for the 2024 NFL season.

NFL teams with the hardest schedules in 2024:

1. Pittsburgh Steelers
  2. New England Patriots
  3. Cleveland Browns
  4. Baltimore Ravens
  5. Minnesota Vikings
How accurate is Warren Sharp’s model for determining strength of schedule?

Looking at last season’s strength of schedule model:

• Of the 15 teams predicted to have the easiest 2023 schedules, 11 finished with winning records (Saints, Colts, Texans, Lions, Jaguars, Steelers, Packers, Buccaneers, 49ers, Browns, and Bengals)
  • Of the 15 teams predicted to have the hardest 2023 schedules, only 5 finished with a winning record (Bills, Chiefs, Dolphins, Cowboys, and Vikings)
  • Of the 7 teams forecast to have winning records and predicted to have easier than average schedules, all 7 had winning records (49ers, Bengals, Lions, Jaguars, Saints, Browns, and Steelers)
  • Of the 7 teams forecast to finish at or below .500 and predicted to have harder than average schedules, all 7 had losing records and 6 went under their win total (Vikings, Broncos, Giants, Patriots, Commanders, and Cardinals)

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I'm just going off the oficial narrative of what the media is touting, not that it's meaningful one way or the other. The media was saying that the Steelers have the 3rd hardest schedule in the league. But now I'm seeing where they are saying Pgh has THE hardest schedule in the entire NFL. I guess you'd have to ask them how they came up with it.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/nfl-strength-of-schedule/

What NFL team has the hardest schedule in 2024:

Based on projected win totals, the Pittsburgh Steelers have the hardest strength of schedule for the 2024 NFL season.

NFL teams with the hardest schedules in 2024:

1. Pittsburgh Steelers
  2. New England Patriots
  3. Cleveland Browns
  4. Baltimore Ravens
  5. Minnesota Vikings
How accurate is Warren Sharp’s model for determining strength of schedule?

Looking at last season’s strength of schedule model:

• Of the 15 teams predicted to have the easiest 2023 schedules, 11 finished with winning records (Saints, Colts, Texans, Lions, Jaguars, Steelers, Packers, Buccaneers, 49ers, Browns, and Bengals)
  • Of the 15 teams predicted to have the hardest 2023 schedules, only 5 finished with a winning record (Bills, Chiefs, Dolphins, Cowboys, and Vikings)
  • Of the 7 teams forecast to have winning records and predicted to have easier than average schedules, all 7 had winning records (49ers, Bengals, Lions, Jaguars, Saints, Browns, and Steelers)
  • Of the 7 teams forecast to finish at or below .500 and predicted to have harder than average schedules, all 7 had losing records and 6 went under their win total (Vikings, Broncos, Giants, Patriots, Commanders, and Cardinals)
All good and fine but the fact is that last year we had a harder schedule and made the playoffs... and we went 5-1 in the division

Also we lost the two worse teams last season.. we beat more good teams than anyone else last year

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
All good and fine but the fact is that last year we had a harder schedule and made the playoffs... and we went 5-1 in the division

Also we lost the two worse teams last season.. we beat more good teams than anyone else last year

Very true, but to some, reality doesn’t matter and seem to believe everything they read.

NOTE: I read your post and found it to be true and it was on the internet.!!!

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Very true, but to some, reality doesn’t matter and seem to believe everything they read.

NOTE: I read your post and found it to be true and it was on the internet.!!!

Salute the nation
I also want to point out that while sharp toots its own horn... it incorrectly predicted SOS last year, like those sites often do... the steelers had one of the toughest SOS in the league last year. This was because several teams expected to have rotten seasons had great ones... like Houston and Cleveland..

This is why subjective stat sites are junk science.

Im just going on last years results.. its true that any of tgose teams could be vastly different from last year too, but its better than guestimating how teams are going to do ... remember, these sites were predicting an easy super bowl run for the jets based off of wishful speculation and aaron rodgers... the Bengals were going to be the biggest competition...

If you are going to go subjective... wait till after the draft or at the bare minimum wait till after the actual full schedule is released...

Some teams have difficulty on short weeks or primetime games, do you can make more educated guesses then...Baltimore facing KC on a short week thursday night game after KCs bye week is not the same as Baltiimore facing KC on sunday afternoon after Baltimores bye week...

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score

Making the losses to the 2-win Cards and Pats truly a disgrace. Tomlin is pathetic preparing for the worst teams, just an embarrassment.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I also want to point out that while sharp toots its own horn... it incorrectly predicted SOS last year, like those sites often do... the steelers had one of the toughest SOS in the league last year. This was because several teams expected to have rotten seasons had great ones... like Houston and Cleveland..

This is why subjective stat sites are junk science.

Im just going on last years results.. its true that any of tgose teams could be vastly different from last year too, but its better than guestimating how teams are going to do ... remember, these sites were predicting an easy super bowl run for the jets based off of wishful speculation and aaron rodgers... the Bengals were going to be the biggest competition...

If you are going to go subjective... wait till after the draft or at the bare minimum wait till after the actual full schedule is released...

Some teams have difficulty on short weeks or primetime games, do you can make more educated guesses then...Baltimore facing KC on a short week thursday night game after KCs bye week is not the same as Baltiimore facing KC on sunday afternoon after Baltimores bye week...

100% agree, my previous post had a lot of sarcasm in it, to show the absurdity of the other “said” poster…………..

These rankings are usually worthless until there is an element of certainty, schedule / draft / training camp cuts / you get it.

Last years SOS turned into toughest in a long time, I think the 08’ was an anomaly in that regards as well.

I hear yaz madinsomniac and do appreciate your great post(s) along the way.

Salute the nation

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
To be honest, waiting until after the draft or after the times and dates of the schedule is released will do little to nothing to add much useful data to help determining outcomes. Everyone says (repeat after me) "It takes 3 years after a draft to know how good or bad it was." (I personally don't subscribe to that mantra, I think I do pretty well at analyzing drafts soon before 3 years goes by.) And knowing the dates and times of games doesn't do that much in enhancing the knowledge of how difficult a schedule is (the opponent themselves is far more crucial).

But regardless, I'd say just going by what opponents accomplished the previous year is the most standard way to decipher strength of schedule. However, with a team like Cinci, last year's results would not be an accurate indicator of how tough that team will be, if they have their all pro QB back in action in 2024. I would assume with Burrow back, those two games could be 2 losses instead of 2 wins this season.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
To be honest, waiting until after the draft or after the times and dates of the schedule is released will do little to nothing to add much useful data to help determining outcomes. Everyone says (repeat after me) "It takes 3 years after a draft to know how good or bad it was." (I personally don't subscribe to that mantra, I think I do pretty well at analyzing drafts soon before 3 years goes by.) And knowing the dates and times of games doesn't do that much in enhancing the knowledge of how difficult a schedule is (the opponent themselves is far more crucial).

But regardless, I'd say just going by what opponents accomplished the previous year is the most standard way to decipher strength of schedule. However, with a team like Cinci, last year's results would not be an accurate indicator of how tough that team will be, if they have their all pro QB back in action in 2024. I would assume with Burrow back, those two games could be 2 losses instead of 2 wins this season.
out of curiosity do you do a mock draft of your own before the draft?

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
out of curiosity do you do a mock draft of your own before the draft?

Should have asked————— AFTER the draft…………….

Salute the nation

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

just about everything in this post is inaccurate

damn coach jr you love to toot your own horn

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

Right, so somehow there is a disconnect where The Greatest Coach In The History Of Football Who's Never Had A Losing Season can't turn any of that into playoff wins.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Right, so somehow there is a disconnect where The Greatest Coach In The History Of Football Who's Never Had A Losing Season can't turn any of that into playoff wins.

I’ve asked that question for years, to the Tomlin’s never a losing season fans.

Never get an answer that’s worth a stinky poo.

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
All they have to do is get a home playoff game on a monday night and we are gravy for that playoff win 🤣... he can get them up for that every time somehow