• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Holy ****. Tomlin just handed the Reporters their *****!!

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
He left a ton out which makes me wonder . Did you speak to anyone UCS? Yes or no. I don't care is he's mad, answer the question.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Wrong. Both Payton and Reid have had multiple losing seasons.... Payton had what..3 in a row or something like that? Tomlin? NONE, and a SB, plus he's a future hall of fame coach. The only reason for bringing this up, or creating a rumor is because of racism...this didn't come into being organically. That's why Tomlin reacted the way he did. The Steelers run into a few hiccups and suddenly the black man is in over his head...maybe he needs to take some crappy college job more suited to his lesser abilities. He's the coach of THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS! Why would you leave? Why would anyone even imagine that you would leave? The answer is plain as day...we live in a sick society from top to bottom, in all aspects; sports, religion, politics,(Jan.6 anyone?)

I would have thrown the chair I was sitting in at the reporter, but then the reporter probably didn't even understand the implications of the question, so not really his fault. Just another NPC repeating racist garbage.
As Buckeye has already mentioned, "Welcome". You'll learn when I'm being sarcastic - I was with the post you responded to...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Wrong. Both Payton and Reid have had multiple losing seasons.... Payton had what..3 in a row or something like that? Tomlin? NONE, and a SB, plus he's a future hall of fame coach. The only reason for bringing this up, or creating a rumor is because of racism...this didn't come into being organically. That's why Tomlin reacted the way he did. The Steelers run into a few hiccups and suddenly the black man is in over his head...maybe he needs to take some crappy college job more suited to his lesser abilities. He's the coach of THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS! Why would you leave? Why would anyone even imagine that you would leave? The answer is plain as day...we live in a sick society from top to bottom, in all aspects; sports, religion, politics,(Jan.6 anyone?)

I would have thrown the chair I was sitting in at the reporter, but then the reporter probably didn't even understand the implications of the question, so not really his fault. Just another NPC repeating racist garbage.
So you think Tomlin is a better coach than Payton and Reid? Simply because Tomlin has not had a losing season? Now I hate to bring up past coaches here in Pittsburgh.....but what is your opinion on Cowher vs Tomlin? Is Tomlin the better coach? Or Cowher? Or do you see them as equals? And why?

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
I know the post comparing Tomlin to Reid and Payton was a troll job, but I'll bite. Tomlin and Payton have had basically the same success, both having franchise QBs for basically their entire coaching careers with the Steelers and Saints, respecitively.

What post was a troll job comparing Andy Reid, Sean Payton and Mike Tomlin? This was out of Tomlins mouth, asking why arent they asking Andy Reid and Sean Payton this question.

Omar10213245

๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘‚๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿช‚๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒ›๐ŸŒœโ˜‚โ˜”โ„๐ŸŒŠ๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿฅบ
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure why Tomlin had to bring up Payton and Reid. He was definitely offended by the question
Because he's implying that race is playing a part as to why his name is being bandied about, but not other NFL head coaches with similar tenures/resumes, but of the caucasian persuasion instead of black.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Because he's implying that race is playing a part as to why his name is being bandied about, but not other NFL head coaches with similar tenures/resumes, but of the caucasian persuasion instead of black.
Could be but I don't think I would make that leap. I just think he was having a self important moment.

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
So I watched the clip finally. Maybe it was not fully in context if the entire presser (I don't know). But he went off pretty hard for a respectfully asked question. The guy more wanted to know if Tomlin knew where the rumor started.
Could the guy be any more entitled and thin-skinned? Years ago, he took umbrage when FOX asked about NFL players naming him the coach they'd most like to play for -- saying Dick Lebeau is "an old white guy..."

He doesn't want to be referred to as a player's coach. Doesn't want to be asked about colleges being interested in him when Ryan Clark did his part as well to fuel the rumor. Implies that both are racist.

He's wise though. USC would expect PAC-12 Titles and Playoff appearances. Not 3 Holiday Bowl wins in 10 years.

Some people adore him. To me, his act grows thinner every year.

Omar10213245

๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘‚๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿช‚๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒ›๐ŸŒœโ˜‚โ˜”โ„๐ŸŒŠ๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿฅบ
Contributor
Reaction score

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
He left a ton out which makes me wonder . Did you speak to anyone UCS? Yes or no. I don't care is he's mad, answer the question.
Left a ton out to make you wonder?

โ€"Hey guys, I don't have time for that speculation. That's a joke to me,โ€ฆ.I have one of the best jobs in all of professional sports. I don't have any interest in coaching college football. That will be the last time that I address it, not only today, but moving forward. Never say never, but never. OK? Anybody else have any questions about college jobs? There's not a booster with a big enough blank check.โ€œ

In normal human interpretation of dialogue, thatโ€˜s answering the question. Pretty much nothing left to wonder about. Whatโ€˜s the notion of him speaking with anyone, much less UCS (Univ of Ca-Sacramento)? Itโ€™s speculation not from anyone in the league, but rather a former GM on his radio show, a USC alumni who played in the league making a passive/aggressive inquiry of interest, or a former player of Tomlin who only said he would love for his former coach take over at his alma mater.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

Thats a point of view to consider. But Tomlin acts colorblind to the fraternity of coaches in the NFL. He does speaks colorblind about players as โ€œprofessionalsโ€โ€ฆor โ€œmenโ€ and not โ€œkidsโ€œ like most other coaches do. IMO, I think he got pissed off, because the narrative implied the only successful minority coach in the league, and not any of the other coach and removing his colorblind lens to the league.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Um, no, its pretty obvious
I have to agree with you here. Just based on their mindset behind the scenes. Not going to rehash it all but they are focused in often on color. I will leave it at that.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Left a ton out to make you wonder?

โ€"Hey guys, I don't have time for that speculation. That's a joke to me,โ€ฆ.I have one of the best jobs in all of professional sports. I don't have any interest in coaching college football. That will be the last time that I address it, not only today, but moving forward. Never say never, but never. OK? Anybody else have any questions about college jobs? There's not a booster with a big enough blank check.โ€œ

In normal human interpretation of dialogue, thatโ€˜s answering the question. Pretty much nothing left to wonder about. Whatโ€˜s the notion of him speaking with anyone, much less UCS (Univ of Ca-Sacramento)? Itโ€™s speculation not from anyone in the league, but rather a former GM on his radio show, a USC alumni who played in the league making a passive/aggressive inquiry of interest, or a former player of Tomlin who only said he would love for his former coach take over at his alma mater.
You know cooch is slow you will have to explain things to him...a lot and often.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Tomlin would make a great college coach.

He's an excellent motivator of men
He cares about boys becoming men, with all of the offsite mentoring programs he does
He's accountable and would hold his players accountable
He's an academic and would expect his players to be the same.
He's an excellent communicator and his NFL success and his reputation as an honest/accountable man would really help with recruiting.
99.9% of his players love him. (Some people just don't recognize the lessons they are being taught until later in life when they become men.)

Is he going to become a college head coach?

No ******* way!

FatsHolmes

Reaction score

He cares about boys becoming men, with all of the offsite mentoring programs he does
He's an excellent communicator and his NFL success and his reputation as an honest/accountable man would really help with recruiting.
99.9% of his players love him. (Some people just don't recognize the lessons they are being taught until later in life when they become men.)

No ******* way!
This pretty much describes how I see it.

jiminoh

Simple Idiot
Contributor
Reaction score

No ******* way!
Agree...Hell no unless the check is massive and his wife wants to move. Do I think he was contacted in the past? Absolutely.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Agree...Hell no unless the check is massive and his wife wants to move. Do I think he was contacted in the past? Absolutely.
Wife has a business here . I think she is all nice and comfy.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
That's quite a stretch...but everyone is free to their opinions...

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
So you think Tomlin is a better coach than Payton and Reid? Simply because Tomlin has not had a losing season? Now I hate to bring up past coaches here in Pittsburgh.....but what is your opinion on Cowher vs Tomlin? Is Tomlin the better coach? Or Cowher? Or do you see them as equals? And why?
No I don't see them as equals. I am of the belief that while Tomlin is a good coach he won his SB with a roster and coaching staff full of Cowher's people. He could not get it done on his own later with the killer B's and decent defenses. Now he gets somewhat of a pass(somewhat as Cowher faced the cheating Pats* as well) because I don't remember how many times he faced Bellichick and that's when the cheating was in full effect. Signal stealing, deflategate, jamming the Steeles headsets at Gillette. Remember the Pats* were caught filming the Bengals just a few years ago so it has not stopped since they were caught. Cowher faced them most of his career without Brady though.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
I believe Tomlin was mad because he views college as a lesser job. Basically, he thinks coaching at the collegiate level is beneath him and the other top coaches in the NFL. He's not wrong either. Just about any NFL coach could probably get some sort of college head coaching job if they wanted one. His point with Reid and Payton was basically saying no one is suggesting they should take a big demotion, why should he? What Tomlin missed is no one started rumors about those guys going to USC or LSU. It's happened in the past though with Payton and even Cowher was linked to NC State.

I know the post comparing Tomlin to Reid and Payton was a troll job, but I'll bite. Tomlin and Payton have had basically the same success, both having franchise QBs for basically their entire coaching careers with the Steelers and Saints, respecitively.

Andy Reid
Mike Tomlin
Sean Payton
Seasons
23+​
14+​
14+​
Overall Record
224-134-1​
148-81-1​
147-83​
Seasons > .500
17​
11​
9​
Division Titles
11​
7​
7​
Playoff Appearances
16​
9​
9​
Playoff Record
17-15​
8-8​
9-8​
Conference Title Appearances
8​
3​
3​
Super Bowl Appearances
3​
2​
1​
Super Bowl Championships
1​
1​
1​
Payton with the Saints has had 4 losing seasons....3 in a row. Reid had 3 losing seasons with the Eagles. Never any questions about them stepping down and coaching college ball.

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
Tomlin is 8 years younger than Payton. He is 14 years younger than Reid. To me, that would be the primary reason they would be talking about him taking a college job instead of the other two. Tomlin is still in the age where he would be considered a young coach with a long future ahead of him. The other two, not so much.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin is 8 years younger than Payton. He is 14 years younger than Reid. To me, that would be the primary reason they would be talking about him taking a college job instead of the other two. Tomlin is still in the age where he would be considered a young coach with a long future ahead of him. The other two, not so much.
Might want to do a double take on that age assessment. Just looking around, most of the "hot" college coaches are in their mid to late 30's. Tomlin is well past that age.

Edit: Had to check that myself. Most of the hot/up and coming coaches in the college ranks are in their late 30's to early 40's. Tomlin is at 49 ... still well past that if you consider an 8 year difference between he and Payton a big gap.

Last edited:

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

No ******* way!
Tomlin would be great at all of those things. However, not in a million years do I see him wanting to recruit or have to kiss the butts of the boosters. We always hear Tomlin is a leader of men, so I don't think he'd enjoy coaching 18 year olds.

Payton with the Saints has had 4 losing seasons....3 in a row. Reid had 3 losing seasons with the Eagles. Never any questions about them stepping down and coaching college ball.
Are we ignoring Reid's 8 conference championship and 3 Super Bowl appearances because he had three losing seasons with the Eagles? lol

Payton had 4 losing seasons? Who cares? His regular season record is nearly identical to Tomlin's, he has the same number of division titles and playoff appearances. Btw, I would take Tomlin 10 times out of 10 over Payton, but those two are about as even as it gets in terms of coaching success.