• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Harvin Hurt?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Nope Drink. His knee on his plant leg ended his career. He even Joked at one time if they could just replace it with a peg leg he would be just fine Punting that way.

I'm to lazy to look up, what round was he drafted in?

Salute the nation

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Didn't we take him in the 4th ? Also wasn't it said he was a LB with a punter's brain ? His down-field hits are what finally injured him enough to put him out of the league.

Salute the nation
yep, 4th round and highly touted just like Harvin. He was with the Steelers for 4 years and he was often injured. Tore his ACL one year and then blew out his knee the next year. I can't thank him enough for getting Gardocki out of Pittsburgh.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Hey now…..Coach could even punt in Denver it’s so high! Besides most of the league ST coaches scheme placement and coverage rather than distance. Placement well inside the 20, or having a hang time > 4.5 seconds is what they are preaching skill wise. Oh, yeah and that Rugby sidespin action. That’s becoming more and more common.

Kinda redundant talking about punters but Harvin has one of the longest avg hang times in the league, and the coverage unit has been predominantly solid.
Waitman has 8 and is tied for 3rd in the NFL for punts inside the 20. Harvin has 2 and is tied for second to last. Harvin is a below average punter. When Waitman was signed to the active roster anyone that knows anything about football saw he was head and shoulders better than Harvin.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Waitman has 8 and is tied for 3rd in the NFL for punts inside the 20. Harvin has 2 and is tied for second to last. Harvin is a below average punter. When Waitman was signed to the active roster anyone that knows anything about football saw he was head and shoulders better than Harvin.
Dont let stats trip you up. Harvin has a higher average, net average, with one more punt under his belt. The Steelers offense isn't exactly winning the field position battle and more often than not, they're three and out and punting from their side of the field. To get them inside the 20 he would have to out kick his coverage and that isn't a good thing to try and do with this unit.

but I do agree that he outshined Harvin during his short time here.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Higher net with 6 less inside the 20. That has to effect net. Waitless is light years better than Harvin, I seriously doubt Harvin is on the team after the cheap rookie contract is up.

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought Harvin was doing quite a bit better this year.