• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

GraveDigger

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Hargrave earning new nickname, playing time with Steelers

By Dale Lolley
August 27, 2016

Steelers rookie defensive tackle Javon Hargrave, given the nickname “J-Wobble” by teammate Cameron Heyward, could be earning playing time thanks to his performance Friday against New Orleans. - Associated Press
Steelers rookie nose tackle Javon Hargrave’s nickname in college was “Gravedigger.”

He acquired the nickname in part as a play on his last name, but also after burying so many opposing quarterbacks while at South Carolina State, where he recorded 37.5 career sacks. His new teammates, however, have a new moniker for the rookie. Written on a piece of tape above Hargrave’s locker is a new nickname, “J-Wobble.”

It could be because Hargrave is so quick off the line of scrimmage he causes opposing linemen and quarterbacks to teeter in fear.

But more likely it’s because the 6-2, 305-pound Hargrave has the upper body of a normal human being, albeit a large one. From the waist down, however, he resembles the player whom he grew up admiring, former Steelers great Casey Hampton.

Like Hampton, Hargrave has a big posterior and massive legs.

Hargrave, like the children’s toy Weeble, wobbles but doesn’t fall down thanks to that large base.

“It’s a little joke, a rookie thing,” Hargrave said. “I’m enjoying it and enjoying the moment. It’s a little d-line joke.”

Hargrave was given the new nickname by defensive end Cameron Heyward. If Hargrave continues to play as he did in the Steelers’ 27-14 preseason win at New Orleans Friday, he might be starting alongside Heyward.

Veteran Daniel McCullers tops the Steelers’ depth chart at nose tackle, where the team must replace former starter Steve McLendon, who signed with the Jets in the offseason as a free agent.

But McCullers sat out the game against the Saints with a sore knee. That gave Hargrave, the Steelers’ third-round pick, an opportunity to start. After Hargrave recorded four tackles, a sack and broke up a pass, McCullers might find himself in a Wally Pipp-like situation.

Hargrave, like Lou Gehrig with Pipp, might be too good to take out of the lineup.

There were questions about the level of competition Hargrave faced in college at South Carolina State. But he has quickly shown he is ready to play against NFL competition.

He more than held his own against Saints Pro Bowl center Max Unger, showing his quick first step is good enough to beat even the best in the NFL.

“It isn’t normal to see big people moving so quickly,” Hargrave admitted. “I can see some people being surprised by it.”

Hargrave, however, isn’t surprised by his own early success. He had expectations for himself to not only come in and play, but play well.

“I felt like I could play with anybody anyway,” Hargrave said. “I expected the best and that’s what I’m getting. I’m just going to continue to improve every week and try to reach that level, too.”

His additional production as a pass rusher could be needed. Heyward suffered a sprained ankle in the first quarter against the Saints and it could put his availability for the Steelers’ regular season-opener at Washington Sept. 12 in jeopardy.

Heyward was in a walking boot on the sidelines Friday night, though head coach Mike Tomlin was unsure how long his star defensive end might be out.

That could provide more opportunities for Hargrave, if he already hasn’t already earned them.

“I don’t know,” Hargrave said of his role. “I’ll do whatever they want me to do. I just want to help the team win games.”

Odds and end zones
Safeties Sharmarko Thomas (groin) and Jacob Hagen (quad) also suffered significant injuries in the game and did not return. … Right tackle Marcus Gilbert left the game with an elbow injury but is expected to be OK. … The Steelers outgained the Saints, 296-179, in the first half when both teams were playing many of their regulars. … Linebacker Vince Williams, fresh off signing a three-year, $5.5-million contract extension earlier in the week, led the Steelers with eight tackles and forced a fumble.

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...n-hargrave-disruptive-extensive-playing-time/

Spike

Reaction score
Hope he can play - I don't think Cam will be back 100% for awhile

Shamarko broke again?? shocking

FordFairLane

Reaction score
From what I have seen he reminds me of a Warren Sapp without the mouth. He uses his hands well and speeds past interior line men. But he can get moved too easily in the run game. I think McCullers will be the base NT for the 34 but we run so much sub packages that I bet Hargrave ends up playing more snaps.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He may get a good bit of playing time the first few games if Heyward does have a high ankle sprain. He won't be back for week 1.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
From what I have seen he reminds me of a Warren Sapp without the mouth. He uses his hands well and speeds past interior line men. But he can get moved too easily in the run game. I think McCullers will be the base NT for the 34 but we run so much sub packages that I bet Hargrave ends up playing more snaps.

Hargrave is going to help the team as a rookie. I think he'll have 4-6 sacks and a good amount of QB pressures. I did seem him hold a double team vs the run but being you're traditional NT occupying two gaps is not his thing.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been rootin' for this kid for a while - Big Dan is ok - but, The GraveDigger is what our defense needs to be on top again!!!

antdrewjosh

Reaction score