• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Grave Digger comparing to Aaron Donald

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Steelers rookie Javon Hargrave drawing comparisons to Aaron Donald
Chris B. Mueller Times NFL Correspondent 5 hrs ago 0
Steelers combine training camp with Detriot Lions
Lucy Schaly/The Times
Steelers rookie Javon Hargrave (79) takes a breather with his teammates during training camp Tuesday afternoon at Chuck Knoll Field on the St. Vincent College campus in Latrobe.
LATROBE -- When a particular Steelers rookie participates in one-on-one pass rush drills, the names of other NFL interior defensive linemen come to mind: Aaron Donald and Geno Atkins.

"I was actually big fans of them coming out," Steelers rookie Javon Hargrave said Monday. "Especially Aaron Donald."

The fourth-round draft pick out of FCS program South Carolina State has been the most impressive rookie throughout the first 10 days of training camp. Hargrave stands at 6-1 and 302 pounds; Donald in comparison is 6-1 and 285 pounds. Hargrave presents a similar skill set to the Rams star defensive tackle, who once won the Bronko Nagurski award at Pitt as the nation's top defensive player.

"I guess being around the same size and the same quickness as me compares," Hargrave said. "That’s something I look at because [Donald] is a dominant player and pretty good at what he does."

Both Hargrave and Donald are explosive off the ball with powerful strength in their base to establish leverage in the pass rush. Hargrave, in his first training camp with the Steelers, still needs to polish his technique and acquire adequate game experience to be considered on the same level as Donald or Atkins.

But the flashes are visible. The potential is there.

"He’s one of those shorter guys, but he’s definitely still got the strength," Steelers guard/center Cody Wallace said. "Laterally, he’s able to move real good. That's his advantage. You see guys like [Donald] and [Atkins]. Those type of guys definitely can play in this league."

NFL offensive linemen are on a different level than what Hargrave saw in FCS football, but he has proven in individual and team drills that the step up isn't much of an issue for him. Hargrave said he's adjusting from playing a three-technique in college to a zero-technique with the Steelers, which lines him up across from the center.

"I've got to find ways to win in a zero," he said. "It’s harder to play at the zero than it is in the third technique. Just finding moves to beat the center and things like that."

In one-on-one drills, it hasn't mattered if Hargrave faced a guard or a center. He consistently has beaten Steelers offensive linemen with a fiery burst off the line, followed by an impressive inside rip or spin move.

"He does a good job crowding the ball and reading the snap count well," Wallace said. "He’s also able to go laterally with it, which I think is an advantage against the center."

"He's quick and really active," guard B.J. Finney said. "He’s smaller than what we’re used to seeing from Dan McCullers, Stephon Tuitt and Cam Heyward. He’s going to take whatever you give him.

"That drill is all about reading the guy and taking what he gives you, and that's what (Hargrave) has done."

Hargrave is the sheer opposite of fellow nose tackle McCullers, which creates a major shift in adjustment for opposing offensive linemen. One play can feature a powerful bull rush from McCullers, followed by a quick, lateral rip from Hargrave on the next.

"You’ve got the best of both worlds," Hargrave said. "You’ve got (McCullers) the bulldozer and me going quick. I don’t know how (offensive linemen) will feel about it, but it’s the best of both worlds."

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Speed is good. Remains to be seen how it's used in this Defense assuming he's playin as a NT. Its ALMOST like drafting a 170 lb running back / receiver, and saying, "yeah but he moves super fast"

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I would say he won't be playing every down though he is a shorter 302 which makes your analogy of the smallet WR a little off. I would say he is going to provide inside pressure in nickel situations. I'm thinking him and Heyward inside. Tuitt looKS the part of a 4-3 DE to me. Then you put a Dupree or Harrison on the other end. You might generate serious pressure from that four man unit.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Casey was amazing cause he was so quick for his size. First step was amazing.

steelville

Reaction score
I'd love to see a 4-3 look with Tuitt and Heyward as ends and McCullers and Hargrave as tackles.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

FordFairLane

Reaction score
who would be yinz three LBers?

With that much meat up front I'd go shazier and Dupree at OLB and if Fort makes the team mlb. Or if Fort doesn't then Dupree and Harrison olb and shazier at mlb.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I am a fan of Hargrave, but in no way should he be mentioned in the same breath as Aaron Donald, who is a top-3 defensive player in the entire league. If Hargrave turns out to be half as good as Donald the Steelers will be in great shape.

nooneuno

Forefather
Reaction score
How you going to write an article about a player and not know he was a 3rd round pick not taken in the 4th? Hard to take anything said afterwards seriously.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Liked the pick, and it's not surprising that Hargrave is performing well.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Liked the pick, and it's not surprising that Hargrave is performing well.

I like what I see out our rookie. He'll play lot of snaps during the season.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Wouldn't be a shocker to see Hargrave become the first starter in this draft class.

Some might argue Davis if you consider the slot a starting position.

But Davis holding down that position won't be easy regardless.

All Har has to do is beat out Big Dan....... doesn't seem unobtainable.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Wouldn't be a shocker to see Hargrave become the first starter in this draft class.

Some might argue Davis if you consider the slot a starting position.

But Davis holding down that position won't be easy regardless.

All Har has to do is beat out Big Dan....... doesn't seem unobtainable.

The Steelers haven't shied away from playing younger guys on the defensive line more often in recent years. Given that Big Dan is pretty limited as a run defender only, Hargrave will see plenty of snaps even if he isn't officially the starter.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers haven't shied away from playing younger guys on the defensive line more often in recent years. Given that Big Dan is pretty limited as a run defender only, Hargrave will see plenty of snaps even if he isn't officially the starter.

true

we can almost bank on seeing him on third downs...