• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Gotta make the moves now

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
If you are going to mortgage the future. This year and next are the time to do it. Lock up your best guys and grab one or two big impact free agents. If the situation on the draft and roster favor Corner over OLB or vice versa.
You need to upgrade coverage and edge rush. Fill in depth at RB and Receiver. Getting Heyward and possibly Bryant back are like two monster FA additions.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
There really isn't much available in free agency in terms of edge players or CBs that would offer a clear upgrade over what they currently have.

On defense, the improvement is going to have to come from within, with Heyward, Shazier and Dupree hopefully all finally healthy and playing together up front, and with Burns and Davis further evolving as players with a year of experience. There's still a lot of untapped potential with the personnel already on the roster.

The only real weakness on offense last season was the lack of a legitimate receiving complement to Brown, and Bryant has already shown he can be more than that. We just need to hope he has has matured enough to keep his lungs clean.

It doesn't hurt to add talent, but I tend to think this is already a championship caliber roster. I understand how being blown out by the Patriots will deter many from believing that, but the Steelers didn't have Bell, Bryant or Heyward and were playing two rookies in their secondary in that game.

The team that takes the field in September will be better than the one that last took the field in January, IMO, regardless of what moves are made this Spring.

Last edited:

zeus50

Reaction score
fixing our defense scheme will assist with the PATS* more than players.

having said that, i can't help but think that we can bring in a FA CB that would be better than **** and co?

Burns is fine as a started after that???? gay is old, **** took a step back....

If we are going to play man, we need some help in the secondary

Supersteeler

Reaction score
If you've been a fan of the Steelers for awhile you should know that they are never, ever going to "mortgage the future" for one shot at a ring. Isn't going to happen. Their whole business model has been the exact opposite of that for 50 years.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
fixing our defense scheme will assist with the PATS* more than players.

having said that, i can't help but think that we can bring in a FA CB that would be better than **** and co?

Burns is fine as a started after that???? gay is old, **** took a step back....

If we are going to play man, we need some help in the secondary

The Patriots rarely targeted Cockrell in the AFC title game.

They went after pretty much everyone else in the secondary. Burns, Gay and Davis seemed to be the players they focused on most.

I just do not understand the hate on Cockrell. He isn't the fastest or most physical DB and his tackling alright sucks sometimes, but he generally covers pretty well. The problem is that he's been the Steelers best DB, and if he's your best DB, you have issues.

I just do not think that is going to remain the case, as Burns and Davis advance their respective games.

Spike

Reaction score
Free agency doesn't even start till March the 9th so you can't do it all NOW!

But I would add Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles and Brandon Marshall for cheap vet minimums of $1M per when it does start.

All offense, all the time, the only way to win.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Free agency doesn't even start till March the 9th so you can't do it all NOW!

But I would add Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles and Brandon Marshall for cheap vet minimums of $1M per when it does start.

All offense, all the time, the only way to win.

I get what you are saying Spike but I highly doubt anyone of those three will sign for 1mill / per.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Here is the deal. You have a two or three year window. You will be blowing the team up then when Ben is gone anyhow. No point being afraid to make a bold move now. And when he is gone off the books you will have a ton of cap room anyhow.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
8 wide *******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put Ben in the gun 7 or 8 yards behind center with Bell next to him.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
8 wide *******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put Ben in the gun 7 or 8 yards behind center with Bell next to him.

Run and Shoot!

Trade up to grab D. Watson, and have two qbs line up in the gun every snap. Think of the options with AP and Marshall on the field too!

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The Steelers fate could be tied to someone else knocking them out but also Bell being hurt early really didn't help. You can't just throw your hands in the air over one game. Try to get them off of home field. No more dumb ducking losses mid season.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
The Patriots rarely targeted Cockrell in the AFC title game.

They went after pretty much everyone else in the secondary. Burns, Gay and Davis seemed to be the players they focused on most.

I just do not understand the hate on Cockrell. He isn't the fastest or most physical DB and his tackling alright sucks sometimes, but he generally covers pretty well. The problem is that he's been the Steelers best DB, and if he's your best DB, you have issues.

I just do not think that is going to remain the case, as Burns and Davis advance their respective games.
100% agree...

If we can't defend 2 white slot receivers man to man, when they don't have Gronk, we're not going anywhere in the playoffs...
This chyt made me spew my brew...

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
If we can't defend 2 white slot receivers man to man, when they don't have Gronk, we're not going anywhere in the playoffs...

Very funny, but so true, I've seen Cockrell, Burns, Davis all play man before, but our coaches seem so ******* reluctant to take any LBs off the field, so NE just out schemed the hell out of us.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Very funny, but so true, I've seen Cockrell, Burns, Davis all play man before, but our coaches seem so ******* reluctant to take any LBs off the field, so NE just out schemed the hell out of us.

I thought for sure, we were going to switch to man, since they were killing us with crosses and drags. But we didn't even ******* try...

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I thought for sure, we were going to switch to man, since they were killing us with crosses and drags. But we didn't even ******* try...
Well we tried 3 plays haha, and one of those we had Golden, I think it was, on Hogan. 😥

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers can survive with their current secondary atm. My opinion. They need another OLB or DE who can help bolster some pressure in the pass rush. I expect Burns and Davis to have much improved play next season, so get that OLB to compliment Dupree and relieve Deebo of full time duties

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
It's not the people. It's the battle plan. If you can't adapt ,you will never overcome! This team had the guys to win it all last year. They will have the same and better this year.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
It's not the people. It's the battle plan. If you can't adapt ,you will never overcome! This team had the guys to win it all last year. They will have the same and better this year.

They had the guys on the roster, but not all of them were playing in New England.

I did not like the game plan against the Patriots either, for no other reason than it forcing Burns and Davis to read and react more than they were yet comfortable doing, as opposed to just manning up and using their speed and athleticism.

The Steelers play them again next season. We'll see if Tomlin/Butler are capable of adjusting.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
They had the guys on the roster, but not all of them were playing in New England.

I did not like the game plan against the Patriots either, for no other reason than it forcing Burns and Davis to read and react more than they were yet comfortable doing, as opposed to just manning up and using their speed and athleticism.

The Steelers play them again next season. We'll see if Tomlin/Butler are capable of adjusting.

That game plan on both sides of the ball flat out sucked.

Spike

Reaction score
I get what you are saying Spike but I highly doubt anyone of those three will sign for 1mill / per.

Give it time, their price will drop quick - then rush in and scoop them up

Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles aren't generating much interest from teams

Peterson is having conversations with teams, but the money he's looking for may not be there. Charles, on the other hand, hasn't been linked to any teams. Both are on the wrong side of 30 and coming off significant knee operations. While Le'Veon Bell is sitting pretty on the franchise tag at $12 million as the league's highest-paid running back, Peterson and Charles may struggle to even get $4-6 million per year.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4169/adrian-peterson

--------------

Offer them 1-2M for a year, go for it!

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
With Bell and the Steelers still unsure if he is going to have surgery, they better get someone in here. They are wasting so much time, I'm starting to wonder when he'll be healthy. I doubt for OTA's and probably not for camp. Also makes me think twice about even considering a long term deal this off-season.