• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Golson Carted Off

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Golson is fragile. Damn shame. Hope he can recover but this is a bad injury

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I just don't agree with terms like China doll etc. I'm dissapointed he won't play but it isn't 1 tenth of 1 percent what this kid feels. I've seen guys that were soft. Who drag out a one or two week injury into a month. Hell you could have put Shazier in that catagory till last year. Some players by luck or genetics just get these catatrophic type injuries. Hard to understand but unfair to take it out on him.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
This really sucks. The Steelers had big plans for him this year and I think he was a guy we all wanted to see in the slot. They could put Burns on the outside and shift Gay to the slot, but I would not mind them kicking the tires on a few veterans.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
He is a roster spot. So unless you see a guy like Grant getting a spot you have to bring someone in anyways.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Just looking it is Hall and a big slide off of a cliff after him. Move quick if you want him.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with the sign. But wouldn't IR him yet. If it is 12 weeks end of October. 6 is third game of the season. I'd hate to drop a guy without ever seeing him in games. If he doesn't play this year you pretty much gotta dump him.

Dude hasn't even practiced in 2 years. There is no way he comes back in October and will play unless everyone else gets injured around that time. I just can't see anything other than putting him on IR.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Why do you have to dump him? We just went thru this with Spence. Injuries happen. It sucks. But the kid can play why give up on him before you have too.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Dude hasn't even practiced in 2 years. There is no way he comes back in October and will play unless everyone else gets injured around that time. I just can't see anything other than putting him on IR.

The rule on IR has been changed this year. They don't have to designate a player to return for IR like in previous years. He has to miss a set amount of games and then play by a specific week after being activated. He could be a very key piece of he can get healthy going into December when the rest of the team is banged up.

skline00

Reaction score
"Next man up" and we are only in the first week of preseason! YIKES!

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The rule on IR has been changed this year. They don't have to designate a player to return for IR like in previous years. He has to miss a set amount of games and then play by a specific week after being activated. He could be a very key piece of he can get healthy going into December when the rest of the team is banged up.

I hear you but it's not like the guy has ever played a snap in the NFL. He hasn't even really practiced. If he did come back, he has to get in shape, learn how to play our system and then try to beat someone out just to even sniff the field. I just can't see it happening. Sure, if you can stash him and others there, fine but I thought you could still only designate one to return. If another starter were to get injured, he would get that spot over Golson in my book. Golson is still an unproven rookie. It sucks but that's the reality with him.

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
I think you see where this team is when he is healthy, and then make a decision. There I go, thinking like a GM again.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
"Next man up" and we are only in the first week of preseason! YIKES!

Not to lessen the impact of the injury, but at least Davis and the others have virtually all of camp to fight for the slot position. The staff will be able to evaluate these guys in practice and games and then scan the waiver wire if needed. You never know what type of player that'll get cut later this summer.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Next man up! Jordan Zumwalt...I thought we were talking next man up as in draftees that can't make it out of camp injury free

GarrettG

Reaction score
Understanding that these have been freak non-contact injuries preventing Golson from starting his tackle football career in any meaningful way, I have to wonder how his 176 lb body will hold up if he's ever healthy enough to tackle somebody.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
You at least have to see what's out there and bring in a new veteran body who can compete for a spot, right?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
In before Coach blames this on physical practices

Senquez's above-the-neck preparation did not match the below-the-neck physicality of training camp, obviously.

ark steel

Reaction score
Understanding that these have been freak non-contact injuries preventing Golson from starting his tackle football career in any meaningful way, I have to wonder how his 176 lb body will hold up if he's ever healthy enough to tackle somebody.

Seeing as they are non-contact, I doubt his size has any bearing. How much time did he miss in college during injuries? I'm not sure how to look that up. I did read that that there was a shoulder issue left over from college (surgically repaired now_, although he played his senior year with it injured.

I believe Bell was a workhorse in college. Gets to the NFL and injuries his foot to miss the first four games of his career.

GarrettG

Reaction score
Seeing as they are non-contact, I doubt his size has any bearing. How much time did he miss in college during injuries? I'm not sure how to look that up. I did read that that there was a shoulder issue left over from college (surgically repaired now_, although he played his senior year with it injured.

I believe Bell was a workhorse in college. Gets to the NFL and injuries his foot to miss the first four games of his career.

I hear you. I think I was just intending to imply that bad luck combined with a relatively small build does not seem like a recipe for success in terms of a long, healthy, productive NFL career.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Gay Says No Plans For Him To Move Inside With Golson Out Injured

William Gay

BY DAVE BRYAN AUGUST 3, 2016 AT 11:26 AM
Now that it appears as though the Pittsburgh Steelers have lost cornerback Senquez Golson for an extended amount of time, and perhaps even the entire 2016 season, to a Lisfranc injury, the team needs to find a replacement starting slot cornerback. After Golson went down injured Monday, rookie safety Sean Davis immediately took his place in the first-team defense and for now, that looks like the plan moving forward.

During a Wednesday morning interview with the media at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, veteran cornerback William Gay said Davis will stay as the team’s starting slot cornerback and that there are currently no plans for him to move inside, according to Ray Fittipaldo of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Twitter.

Gay went on to say that he had worked with Golson over the offseason and that as a result of his injury the team is losing a true nickel and an asset.

“It happened, yeah it sucks, but at the same time I told him, ‘You’ve got a lot of football left in you. You ain’t 31 and getting injured,'” Gay said.

Gay was later asked if he considers the loss of Golson a setback for the team.

“We’ve got a lot of guys that are improving and a lot of guys that are willing to put everything on the line, so I wouldn’t use the word setback,” Gay said, in a video posted by Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

So what are Gay’s first impressions of Davis, the team’s second-round draft out of Maryland?

“He’s a rookie, so he’s learning and that’s what I like,” said Gay.

Steelers defensive backs coach Carnell Lake also confirmed Gay’s comments as according to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com, he said the defense is moving on with Davis getting extended look as the team’s starting nickel corner.

During a Tuesday night radio interview, Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said the team will first look internally for a replacement for Golson. It’s quite obvious at this point that Davis will be given every opportunity to win the starting slot cornerback job during the rest of training camp and the preseason. If he can’t win the job, and the team is still unwilling to move Gay inside like they did at times last season, the team might be watching the final round of cut downs later this summer for a temporary replacement

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
With Golson out, Steelers should look within
August 2, 2016

A Pittsburgh Steelers helmut sits on the turf before an NFL football game against the Baltimore Ravens in Baltimore, Sunday, Dec. 2, 2012. (AP Photo/Nick Wass)
I was 30 yards away but could see the frustration in Senquez Golson’s body language. He slammed his helmet to the ground after hobbling off the football field.

He then threw himself to the ground and trainers spent the better part of 10 minutes working on his foot before taking him off the field on a cart.

Golson just can’t seem to catch a break. I have confirmed that he has suffered a LisFranc injury - severe mid-foot sprain - that can take as long as three months to heal.

Golson’s injury occurred during an 11-on-11 run drill, but he didn’t appear to be hit. He might have stepped in a bad spot in the turf created by all of the rain that had soaked the fields at Saint Vincent College in the previous days.

Regardless, the kid has had some bad luck.

What does that change in the Steelers’ secondary?

Not much, in my opinion.

When Golson missed some time in the spring with an undisclosed injury, rookie safety Sean Davis filled in as the nickel back.

And I like Davis a lot in the slot. He’s big, fast and physical. And the Steelers also have the option of getting first-round draft pick Artie Burns into the lineup and moving William Gay into the slot as well.

So no, I don’t necessarily see the team making a move like it did last year when it went out and traded for Brandon Boykin. This team has other options.

It had already planned on using an untested player - either Golson or Davis - as its nickel back, so the plan is still in place, sort of.

There also are a couple of other young corners in the mix, Doran Grant, a fourth-round draft pick last season, and first-year player Montell Garner has flashed at times at training camp. Veteran Donald Washington also has some starting experience in the NFL.

Garner, in my opinion, is a guy to watch. He was in camp with the St. Louis Rams last season before being released.

The former South Alabama star has shown a knack for getting his hands on the ball and looks quick on the field. At 5-11, 188, he also has decent size.

• I’ve seen people comparing Golson to Maurkice Pouncey. They might want to tap the brakes there.

Yes, Pouncey’s had some injury issues. But he tore a knee ligament and broken his leg, both of which happened in games.

He’s also a multi-time Pro Bowl player and was All-Pro in 2014.

Golson has made it through one and a half padded practices.

scraps

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Damn, so much for hoping it wasn't TOO bad...

Pittsburgh Steelers ‏@steelers
Tomlin: "Golson has a lisfranc injury. He's been evaluated, and potentially going to need surgery."

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Ahhhhhh ****. They should call him worst case scenario. I remember his shoulder went from a ding to a torn labrum last year too. Guy has no luck. I guess theyou don't have to immediately waive him, but it seriously looks like an injury settlement find a new line of work for the kid. Best wishes to Senquez. Tough deal.

diver

Reaction score
Ahhhhhh ****. They should call him worst case scenario. I remember his shoulder went from a ding to a torn labrum last year too. Guy has no luck. I guess theyou don't have to immediately waive him, but it seriously looks like an injury settlement find a new line of work for the kid. Best wishes to Senquez. Tough deal.

Nah. 2nd round selection will keep that from happening to hi,at least this year yet. I feel bad for the kid.

I wonder if it is the way they train. Or to rephrase, the lack of football activities in their training. I don't know, just throwing stuff against the wall. Seems like they do a lot of speed work, straight ahead stuff, treadmills. Maybe they need to do more training on uneven surfaces. More lateral movement stuff like racquetball. Maybe they do and I'm full of ****. Just seems like this stuff is more frequent today than it was in the past.