• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Gil Brandt Should Never Have Another Interview After His Despicable Comments on Haskins Death

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
This morning the NFL world was shocked as 24 year old Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Dwayne Haskins was killed after being struck by a dump truck on I-595 in Florida.

The news was met with much heartache as there should be when a young person loses their life. Haskins leaves behind a family, and things of this nature are way more important than football.

There was completely ignorant comments presented by NFL Hall of Fame contributor Gil Brandt this afternoon on his radio show.

Here is @Gil_Brandt on NFL radio when asked about Dwayne Haskins.
“He was a guy that was living to be dead.”
“It was always something” with Haskins
“Maybe it he stayed in school a year he wouldn’t do silly things [like] jogging on a highway.” pic.twitter.com/cuZZdqYOck

— Pete Damilatis (@PeteDamilatis) April 9, 2022

“He was a guy that was living to be dead.”

“It was always something” with Haskins “

“Maybe if he’d stayed in school a year he wouldn’t do silly things [like] jogging on a highway.”

All of those things came out of Brandt’s mouth. And this should be the last time that a microphone is ever put in front of his month. Nothing else that he will ever say will be relevant.

He’s 90 years old, and maybe he’s dealing with some mental issues. I don’t know, but what he said there is no excuse for, and his time in radio should be finished

@Gil_Brandt I do not know or will assume to but please don’t speak on my friend. He will be missed and your words are disgraceful. We are all hurting right now

— Cam Heyward (@CamHeyward) April 9, 2022

Steelers star Cam Heyward echos a sentiment from all of us.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

steelcan58

Reaction score
I think what the **** sums that up. What an *******.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Despicable.

LeXX75

Contributor
Reaction score
Hasn't been relative in years as far as I'm concerned . But the NFL and the NFL station try placing him on some pedestal. Always turn him off as soon as I hear his annoying voice

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
**** him. Jagoff *******.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
**** that ex cowboy ******… stupid opinions for eons… jackass couldn’t evaluate talent since the 70’s

bkwheat28

Reaction score
Man, some people just can’t keep their foot out of their mouth. Unfortunate. Guy has a long history in NFL, but this is just wrong. Something some asshat like Howard Stern would say, not a long time respected personnel evaluator. Guess that computer program he helped revolutionize with Dallas didn’t come with common sense lessons.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
It's one thing to say one comment that could be strange or misconstrued, but this is completely different. What a piece of garbage.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Haskins didn't die from an OD, drunk driving or even a skydiving accident. He was hit on the side of the highway. WTF is he talking about? Unless he knew he personally and better than most, he needs to STFU and get the facts before spouting BS.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Exactly… he apparently ran out of gas… who knows the scenario that played out… maybe he didn’t have a cell phone signal and had to try to cross the road or something…. Maybe somebody stole his gas, a very real possibility in this economy…. It’s extremely plausible that he made all the right choices and still got hit through no real fault of his own…

Jumping to any other conclusions is irresponsible at this moment… stupid idiots trying to be controversial or just really tone deaf morons

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Look. I'm not big on Cancel culture. But that ************ should be eliminated not cancelled. That is one if the most disgusting things I've ever heard someone say about someone who passed. I don't know Dwayne or what he did as a person but if I heard that old ****** say that in person he would be eating his denture. Jesus that makes me mad.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
Adam Schefter is also getting flamed for being the first to report it on Twitter and starting off his tweet with something like "after struggling in Washington and Pittsburgh"

He edited the tweet, but it's too late.

Really dude? Those are the first words you could think of?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Adam Schefter is also getting flamed for being the first to report it on Twitter and starting off his tweet with something like "after struggling in Washington and Pittsburgh"

He edited the tweet, but it's too late.

Really dude? Those are the first words you could think of?
He's another cockface that should be needing a real job.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly… he apparently ran out of gas… who knows the scenario that played out… maybe he didn’t have a cell phone signal and had to try to cross the road or something…. Maybe somebody stole his gas, a very real possibility in this economy…. It’s extremely plausible that he made all the right choices and still got hit through no real fault of his own…

Jumping to any other conclusions is irresponsible at this moment… stupid idiots trying to be controversial or just really tone deaf morons

iu

steelhurt

Reaction score
I have no idea what would have prompted Gil Brandt to make such insensitive remarks about Dwayne but you must be cognizant of your words when those words can hurt so many people. He has a wife, parents, siblings, other family and teammates that those words have to feel like shards of glass cutting through their hearts. Obviously Brandt didn’t think much of Haskins so best to stay quiet if you cannot say kind words at this time.

steelville

Reaction score
My wife and I heard Gil live on Sirius XM today - we were totally shocked. How could this a**hole say such things about a young man who tragically died. He also said something to the effect of 'why was he out jogging after dark anyway...' He seemed to us to be having a bout of dementia and if that is true, he needs to be off the air. If he does not have dementia, then he REALLY needs to be off the air. He said nothing positive about him at all. I am still pissed.

Booted

Less-known member
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It saddens me that a young man's life is cut short, while this vile, cauk sucking, douchebag lives on.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
There are a lot of blowhard, Know it all, *** hats in this world who think that because they have a platform, they can just spout off whatever the hell they want. Apparently Brandt is one of them. **** him ... AND Schefter too!

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
From what I saw Schefter didn't say anything in the realm of this tool. He should never have another job in sports again. He should already be fired.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
It isn't just him Twitter has good and plenty of no empathy having twatwaffles. I think when someone passes you either be respectful or keep your co*ksucker closed.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
From what I saw Schefter didn't say anything in the realm of this tool. He should never have another job in sports again. He should already be fired.

Yeah what Schefter said was stupid and insensitive but not malicious IMO, and nothing compared to what this pile of garbage said. Schefter will hear it, whether it's from the social media mob or his colleagues, but Brandt should've already been fired like you said.

Unbelievable he would go on like that when a young man just lost his life.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Yeah what Schefter said was stupid and insensitive but not malicious IMO, and nothing compared to what this pile of garbage said. Schefter will hear it, whether it's from the social media mob or his colleagues, but Brandt should've already been fired like you said.

Unbelievable he would go on like that when a young man just lost his life.
Yes. It not hard to tweet something less editorialized like “ “former Ohio State starter and current Steelers backup qb Dwayne Haskins killed in accident on florida highway”

That is concise and informative without drawing any negatives up… if you really want to talk about his flaws or failures you can tastefully put it in an editorial story about his life and career… not is the tweet breaking the news

But that faux pas was minor. Brandt comments were actually critical of him getting accidentally killed… hinting as if it was his own fault… totally different and far worse actions there