• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Notes

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Golden played very well

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You need a new TV

CsqNA2UUMAAxuTZ.jpg

Just like the fumble, I'm not sure they could have overturned that. You can't tell if the back part of his knee/leg is touching the white line. They would have needed an angle from the side or I say no way they overturn that. Then again, consistency is not in the NFL's dictionary.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The way i saw it they had three legit gripes... Grible lost the ball while diving for the end zone.. Thats by stupid rule a continuation of the catch so they could have called that incomplete by the letter of the law...

No way, in hell, ever, is that not a catch and a TD. He caught the ball at the 5 yard line, took 2 steps, dove for the end zone, reached out, and the ball did NOT come loose until after the ball crossed the goal line. You are just wrong on this one.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
You need a new TV

CsqNA2UUMAAxuTZ.jpg

Neighbor kid showed me this picture yesterday and asked me what I had to say "about that".

I told him he "might" be right ... but, "well take the win. Y'all got some pretty pictures to look at til next game though".

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to explain things like angle of inference, but it would be lost on you Spike. Show me a shot from the back of the endzone, and I can show you a knee out of bounds.

It's the same thing as having an entire shoe in bounds on the front angle, but noticing on the rear angle that part of the shoe is actually on the endline.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
No way, in hell, ever, is that not a catch and a TD. He caught the ball at the 5 yard line, took 2 steps, dove for the end zone, reached out, and the ball did NOT come loose until after the ball crossed the goal line. You are just wrong on this one.

I also think they changed the rules after that Dallas player was fighting for yardage and lost the ball, and they lost the game because of it. I think fighting for yardage is considered as a football move after possession, as opposed to being tackled/knocked to the ground and controlling the ball through the contact with the ground.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ya. As I saw it, Grimble (sp?) broke the plane and that was it. It didn't matter that he fumbled after he hit the ground. He'd already broken the plane and the TD was a done deal at that point. Just like a runner or receiver can dive diagonally across the endzone, never actually touching the field but if the ball crosses the plane, it's a TD. Dude can fly through the air from the field - right over the EZ without touching a thing, but if the ball crosses the plane extended - it's a TD. Even if he flies out of bounds without ever establishing his feet. (Assuming of course he'd established possession before jumping... That's critical of course.)

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
with no picture from the back of the endzone is impossible to see if that knee was partially out of bounds so the ruling on the field should be upheld

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
oh and yeah, it was probably not a fumble but none of the replays had an angle that showed that he clearly had the ball when his knee went down

cincy still had to score a TD AND get the 2-point conversion....

And then it would have only been a tie.

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
So I just finished watching the game...knew the score going in which makes watching much easier

Coates is not Bryant, but he did contribute a couple of big plays...but caused Ben's second int by not finishing out the play

Rogers was not a factor and almost gave the ball back on the one punt....

James was solid again..nice to have a big TE who can go up for the ball

Williams was his usual self

Heyward-bey...typical drop one and catch one later...nice recovery on Rogers fumble also..

Ben was shaky, but with a wet ball it is difficult to be perfect...but some of his passes were.

Lots of drops from both defenses...could have been several more turnovers

Defense was tough against the run, but gave up a lot in the passing game...but only 16 points...overall not a bad day

2-0 to start the season...not bad at all

Good post but as far as the ball being wet, it was wet for Ginger too and he seemed to handle it pretty well. Pass rush stunk - Jets sacked Dalton 7 times and we couldn't get him one time?

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Good post but as far as the ball being wet, it was wet for Ginger too and he seemed to handle it pretty well. Pass rush stunk - Jets sacked Dalton 7 times and we couldn't get him one time?

we got him ONE time, also got hit ( and I mean punished) at least two times that I can remember

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Ginger had a few balls bounce out of defenders hands.

Couldn't watch the game as i was driving home from a wedding. Listened to it on XM radio though. According to the radio guys there were two times where it could have been a pick-6 if our defenders (JJ, Cockrell) catch the ball.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Couldn't watch the game as i was driving home from a wedding. Listened to it on XM radio though. According to the radio guys there were two times where it could have been a pick-6 if our defenders (JJ, Cockrell) catch the ball.

Agree with the idea those could have been picks (particularly Jones), but the Cockrell play was tough and I doubt that Jones can take a pick in the middle of the field and reach the endzone.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score

Jets plan was different than ours. There's was to get after Ginger and force him to make bad throws/mistakes. Ours was to take away his favorite weapon and confuse him with different coverages. Their plan got them 7 sacks and a loss. Ours got us one sack, numerous hits and a win. Honestly, I think our plan was better.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Jets plan was different than ours. There's was to get after Ginger and force him to make bad throws/mistakes. Ours was to take away his favorite weapon and confuse him with different coverages. Their plan got them 7 sacks and a loss. Ours got us one sack, numerous hits and a win. Honestly, I think our plan was better.

Additionally, has anybody considered that maybe the Jets defensive line - featuring Muhammed Wilkerson and Leonard Williams - is really good at rushing the passer?

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

and how did the game end up for the jets???

I will take one sack and a win.......

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
They ran the ball a ton. They also used a ton of two wr sets.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Another issue with blitzing is you are usually in single coverage and some players may not be covered at all. That's why the zone blitz was so effective, you were still only rushing 4, but the other team didn't know which 4 were coming.

I expect CB and S blitzes coming in the next few weeks, once the secondary is more comfortable with their roles. I did see Burns come in once.