• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats, & FU's.............vs Ratbirds!

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
I hate to be negative about a guy who has come through time and again, especially after a BIG win, but Boswell would have to be a goat, had they lost!

A missed PAT, that greatly affected things, if not for the made 2 pt conversion made by the O to go up 20-13. But then following that score with a kick-off out of bounds, and Ravens starting that final drive on the 40!!! Ravens snapped ball on TD play with about 12 seconds left… if that kickoff is through the end zone and Ravens start drive at 25, instead of 40, we likely don’t even have to stress over a 2 pt conversion, because they may have run out of time??? You can’t give the opponent an extra 15 yards to start a drive after taking first lead of game, under 2 minutes!!!
To be fair, that kick off took an insane bounce to benefit the Ravens, the KR let it bounce because he thought it would go out of the EZ not hope it went out. Once he saw it go sideways he let it continue. Had the coverage team been better, they could have forced him to pick it up sooner.

nooneuno

Forefather
Reaction score
I’m giving one to Snell, no disrespect to Najee , he had a great game. Just want to throw some love Benny’s way he came in cold in the 4th qtr and although only a few touches ran with more purpose then I’ve seen his whole career. Beautiful little cameo.

Dan Moore was a beast on one of those runs, his best game too

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Game Balls:
Ben - He was on fire today. Had a beautiful deep ball dropped for what would've been a TD early. Just vintage Ben in the fourth quarter when they needed him most against their biggest rival. This one felt good, real good.

Watt - Simply a dominant force on defense. 3.5 sacks, getting in the passing lane, tackles for loss. So good.

Fitzpatrick - He was flying all over the field. The talent gap between him and the rest of the secondary is so steep.

Heyward - Solid game, but how about his diving PBU?

Johnson - Bad drop early, but looked like a true No. 1 the rest of the way. We saw some hints of Holmes and AB with Johnson's play today.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
How have the Rats won 8 games so far this year?

Very close games and some assistance similar tour catch that wasn't a catch once the New York minute got ahold of it.

Salute the nation

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
93 had his best game. 55,34,35 should not be playing. Perfect amount of PT for Pierre!

Reminded me a lot of the Le’Veon Bell blocking scheme. Block straightahead and let the back find their hole.

Refs were terrible. Tomlin, Butler, Canada need to let the team take over, they win despite you anyway!

Division is there, Humphrey is said to be done for season with pectoral tear. Their secondary is not going to be able to stop anyone

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Game Balls:
Ben - He was on fire today. Had a beautiful deep ball dropped for what would've been a TD early. Just vintage Ben in the fourth quarter when they needed him most against their biggest rival. This one felt good, real good.

Watt - Simply a dominant force on defense. 3.5 sacks, getting in the passing lane, tackles for loss. So good.

Fitzpatrick - He was flying all over the field. The talent gap between him and the rest of the secondary is so steep.

Heyward - Solid game, but how about his diving PBU?

Johnson - Bad drop early, but looked like a true No. 1 the rest of the way. We saw some hints of Holmes and AB with Johnson's play today.
He's definitely more Holmes than AB, in fact that's prob the best comparison for him.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
We are now 6-1-1 in games decided by one score. The Rats are 7-2. They needed OT to beat the Vikings, a 66 yard FG to beat the Lions, lost to the Raiders in OT, beat the Colts in OT.

They remind me a lot of us last year. Our 11-0 start had a lot of close games, where we just found ways to win games that we prob shouldn't have.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Boz who has been a rock all year had a **** day. The missed PAT was bad enough but not smashing that kick through the endzone and putting it out of bounds was inexcusable.
I hate to be negative about a guy who has come through time and again, especially after a BIG win, but Boswell would have to be a goat, had they lost!

A missed PAT, that greatly affected things, if not for the 2 pt conversion made by the O to go up 20-13. But then following that score with a kick-off out of bounds, and Ravens starting that final drive on the 40!!! Ravens snapped ball on TD play with about 12 seconds left… if that kickoff is through the end zone and Ravens start drive at 25, instead of 40, we likely don’t even have to stress over a 2 pt conversion, because they may have run out of time??? You can’t give the opponent an extra 15 yards to start a drive after taking first lead of game, under 2 minutes!!!
You guys forget that Boswell made yet another 50+ yard field goal at Heinz Field plus a 43-yarder? Nobody makes long kicks like he does consistently in that stadium. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for a couple of rare mistakes. **** happens...the guy's not a robot.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Game balls go to Lamar Jackson for not being able to read a defense, and Harbaugh for not kicking the extra point and going to OT. Thanks, guys!

Watt looked like himself today, great game. Also a startling performance from Wormley. Nice finish to the game by Ben and the offense after punting on 5 of their first 6 possessions. It's still painful to watch the play calling most of the time. Why would you come out and run the ball three times in a row up the middle against the #2 run defense in the league? Then they insist on throwing it long on 3rd-and-short, and short on 3rd-and-long. Just baffling.

It's not a shock that the Steelers won this game as an underdog and the whole world talking about how bad they were after last week's debacle. Tomlin seems to have a knack for pulling wins out of his *** against good teams, right when things look like they're ready to come off the rails for Pittsburgh. His road to the almighty non-losing season record which dominates his legacy has been paved with games like this. Wish I would have had the balls to bet my car on the Steelers +4.

Last edited:

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Game Ball
Ben, Watt, Lamar, Witherspoon, DJ

GOATS - Bush was like 5 yrds behind Andrews on the 2 pt play and saw him jogging several times. He should not be on the field.
FUs - coaching. Refusal to go up tempo unless we are desperate. Refusal to use I-form more.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
They went for 2 because Tomlin did. IMO. Dont love Tomlin, but thats why harbaugh went for 2
Tomlin went for 2 because they were up by 5 with less than 2 minutes left in the game...or what any other NFL coach would do 100% of the time. Harbaugh should have gone for 1 to tie the game; however, I do admit that they had the proper 2-point play called, and should have been successful -- it just wasn't executed properly.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Tomlin went for 2 because they were up by 5 with less than 2 minutes left in the game...or what any other NFL coach would do 100% of the time. Harbaugh should have gone for 1 to tie the game; however, I do admit that they had the proper 2-point play called, and should have been successful -- it just wasn't executed properly.
i hear ya.. But maybe harbaugh did the dumb thing because we did. IDK I cant explain it. The play call was correct. we are lucky. Look at our dumb *** defenders that were supposed to be covering. Given the fact that Andrews kicked our *** all day, i cant believe they didnt have someone assigned. If we did , even worse.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Correct we were forced to go for 2 due to the missed XP. If we kick the XP we would have been up 6 which would not have ended well for us. Balt. went for 2 just to try to end our season right there. It was a ballsy call and Watt saved the day with pressure.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Correct we were forced to go for 2 due to the missed XP. If we kick the XP we would have been up 6 which would not have ended well for us. Balt. went for 2 just to try to end our season right there. It was a ballsy call and Watt saved the day with pressure.
it wasnt our defenders..

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
You guys forget that Boswell made yet another 50+ yard field goal at Heinz Field plus a 43-yarder? Nobody makes long kicks like he does consistently in that stadium. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for a couple of rare mistakes. **** happens...the guy's not a robot.
He would have got avsure pass on either of those had he missed but the PAT looked like a block that's how bad he hit it. And still I'd say that is what it is and was made up for by the two point. But Robots aside there is no way that kickoff can be anywhere near the sideline. Right down the pipe and at least 7 yards deep in the endzone. Put them on the 25 or force them to bring it out from deep. That is like asking a pro golfer to hit a basic drive 270 yards. Not a problem.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
As I beileve was mentioned and maybe not game balls but definitely attaboys for LeGlue (who?) and Adams. Adams came in off a practice squad, practiced once or twice and did nothing short of look like our best option at NT for the rest of the year. And, when I heard LeGlue's name, I blurted out, "who the **** is that". You know some of you did as well. Anyhow, he and Moore were run blocking like crazy in that 2nd half. LeGlue may be starting next to Moore next week. Good to see Moore get hurt and be able to tough it out and finish the game.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Both our ILB's leave something to be desired. It goes to their talent, getting over injuries and no one stopping guys in front of them from getting to their level. They shouldn't be taking on OL on just about every play. They need to be staying back to run to gaps/holes and to cover RB's and TE's. That just isn't happening.

Our D coaches still think using 2 DL is adequate. At least they rushed 4 this week unless I missed them rushing 3 like last week. But, you want 3 big guys on the DL and then have your 2 OLB's to rush the edges and drop into coverage if needed. You put Watt as one of 3 or 4 DL and he is guaranteed to see a double or triple team as is Cam. We did get after Lamar for the most part so I won't complain about this too much.

PHYSI-*******-CALITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Retired players, pundits, armchair quarterbacks all united on this fact. The Steelers are not playing physical. And, they ******* ARE NOT! Don't just hit someone, hit ******* everyone. If that ball is coming your way, clock the guy who might be getting the ball. If Lamar runs, ******* flatten him. Don't put two hands on his back and give him a little push like Maulet did. Put your facemask or shoulder into his back/shoulder area. If the Rats can hit Diontae and Claypool (not sure if the other one was Claypool), dirty, near their head, and with no ball remotely catchable, then we should be doing that every ******* down. No penalties were called although I expect penalties to be coming. If you want to show that you are physical, error on the ******* side of taking a 15-yard penalty. I'm not saying go try to hurt someone. But, I am saying, hit people, hit them hard, hit them if it's a close play (be it a catch or not, inbounds or out of bounds, a QB running the damn ball, etc.). If you start doing that a few times per game, teams will start to respect you again.