• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Forgotten weapon

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Veteran receiver Heyward-Bey willing to fill any role for Steelers
Steelers receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey runs after the catch during training camp this month at St. Vincent. — Chaz Palla | Tribune-ReviewView gallery...
Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review
Steelers receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey runs after the catch during training camp this month at St. Vincent.
BY ALAINA GETZENBERG
Monday, Aug. 8, 2016, 9:24 p.m.
Updated 10 hours ago
As attention is divided between drama surrounding the Steelers and the new, young talent emerging offensively, the team's oldest receiver has blended into the background.

For Darrius Heyward-Bey, the seventh-overall draft pick by the Oakland Raiders in 2009, the spotlight has dimmed somewhat over his eight-year career. But the 29-year-old receiver has evolved into a new role he hopes will make him more valuable.

Despite his veteran status, one of his main goals for this season reflects his importance in a position typically filled by younger players.

“On special teams, (I want to) make more tackles. I had a few last year. I need more this year,” Heyward-Bey said.

While most veteran receivers in his position would never take on special teams, Heyward-Bey is willing to make it his priority simply because it is where the team needs him.

“I bet it is difficult for (veterans), but I guess I'm the guy for the job,” he said.

Being a part of a deep receiving corps with the likes of Antonio Brown and Markus Wheaton makes Heyward-Bey's understanding of his role on offense that much more important for the team's success. By acknowledging the positive impact he can have on special teams because of his exceptional speed, he allows his abilities to assist in more than the limited snaps he may see offensively.

The Steelers showed how much they value his efforts by giving him a three-year, $3.8-million contract extension in March. For a receiver who hasn't experienced much offensive consistency in his career, Heyward-Bey said finding a home in Pittsburgh couldn't have worked out any better.

“It's going to do a lot to my game. I know the playbook like the back of my hand,” Heyward-Bey said. “It's the first time I've been in the same offense for three straight years, so it's been good. It's been fun to be able to just go out there and play my game.”

Heyward-Bey saw an upswing in his production after catching three passes for 33 yards and no touchdowns in his first season with the Steelers. He eclipsed those numbers with his performance in the 2015 season opener and finished the year with 21 catches for 314 yards and two touchdowns. His most successful stretch was in the opening four games of the season when Martavis Bryant was suspended.

With Bryant now suspended for an entire year, Heyward-Bey's production has a good chance of increasing even more.

Other players at his position have been watching what he does as an example of how to play the game, especially Sammie Coates. Entering his second season, Coates has had the veteran's assistance from the beginning.

“I learn a lot from him just in the way he practices. He's a great player to have around,” Coates said. “I learn from him because he's very smart. He knows the playbook in and out. Picking up on stuff he does or says is always good.”

And not only does Heyward-Bey provide veteran leadership, he also sprinkles in a touchdown catch or two, which he did in last Thursday's practice in Latrobe where he made two applause-inducing grabs.

For a receiver who still is trying to live up to his draft expectations, taking advantage of this season's opportunity could go a long way toward him becoming a a bright spot amidst the team's early distractions.

“I think every day is a big opportunity for me,” Heyward-Bey said. “I just go out there and try to do my job and whatever the team needs me to do. If that's on offense as a receiver, that's great. If that's on special teams, I'm all about that too — being the ultimate team guy.”

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This was a great move by our staff. It's rare a guy who goes that early has the appreciation for the team that he shows. We're lucky to have DHB.

Joe

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The overall speed we have at WR is crazy. I don't think there is any team that comes close. If used properly, Ben should be licking his chops for a few more seasons.

Reactions: MTC

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
"I know the playbook like the back of my hand,” Heyward-Bey said.
let's hope he knows it better
17363944-mmmain.jpg

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
The overall speed we have at WR is crazy. I don't think there is any team that comes close. If used properly, Ben should be licking his chops for a few more seasons.

A lot of speed at the WR position and a lot of play making ability from the RB's. Ben has no excuse for a few years. This offense is potent

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ben knows this isn't your typical "sand lot" offense. Here's to making the best thrice peat SB champions.!!!!

Salute the nation

Supersteeler

Reaction score
DHB is a great story when you think about it. From being known as one of the worst high draft picks in recent memory and a complete bust to finding a niche as a quality role player in the league and having a nice career. Good on him for working hard to resurrect himself from the ashes.

P

POP

DHB gave us some quality snaps last season, and I expect more of the same this year. His hands were decent. If only he hadn't been an inch out of bounds in the opener against the Patriots...

I am gonna have to disagree with you here.

He made a few catches but still dropped some. That will always be the case. As long as he hauls in a few timely deep balls he is worth having around. But we can expect some flat out drops this season; DHB will drop some.

SteelerAl

Reaction score

He made a few catches but still dropped some. That will always be the case. As long as he hauls in a few timely deep balls he is worth having around. But we can expect some flat out drops this season; DHB will drop some.

OK, then. What are you having for dinner?

P

POP

DHB is a great story when you think about it. From being known as one of the worst high draft picks in recent memory and a complete bust to finding a niche as a quality role player in the league and having a nice career. Good on him for working hard to resurrect himself from the ashes.

In 2011 he had 64 grabs for 975 yards, so he has shown sparks in the past. Like Cris Collinsworth said, "DHB has always had speed. That has never been doubted."

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

Zero drops last season per this site: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/players/284925/darrius-heyward-bey/#Receiving%20Yards$GameType=279588574&SeasonMax=9999&SeasonMin=1990

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Every WR will drop a few balls, DHB was a great pick, he's a true Steeler

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
He has great speed but questionable hands. He will definitely be a weapon but to what extent is up to him and his hands.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
He didn't drop any passes last season, and he's held onto everything in camp thus far. Some of you need to pull your head out of your *** and realize that it's not 2012 anymore. Things can change.