• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

FordFairLane’s 2022 BigBoard

FordFairLane

Reaction score

I’m going through QB and RB tape. Let me know if there’s a specific player you want me to watch. If you want my detailed opinion on a player on the board just ask and I’ll be happy to go into details. As always the nation is welcome to use my board on the site.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Ikem Ekwonu. One of my favorite players. Besides Linderbaum and Davis.
Imo Ikem is the best naturally gifted lineman in the draft and is very refined in technique. He has natural lateral movement, good active hands and placement, strong for his size and absorbs bull rushes well, and can get out and block in the running game. The only potential “weakness” and I’m reaching is his not as long as some might like. But I think he’s a sum of all his parts and the rest should more than makeup for that knock.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Imo Ikem is the best naturally gifted lineman in the draft and is very refined in technique. He has natural lateral movement, good active hands and placement, strong for his size and absorbs bull rushes well, and can get out and block in the running game. The only potential “weakness” and I’m reaching is his not as long as some might like. But I think he’s a sum of all his parts and the rest should more than makeup for that knock.
We could always put him at G if he doesn't work out at T. Pretty much my thoughts on him.👊

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Like Linderbaum there is some wrestling (highschool) in his background too so probably helps him in understanding leverage.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
QBs: I'd like to see your thoughts on Willis, Ridder, and Strong.

RBs: Rachaad White may be my favorite running back in this draft. Want to hear your thoughts on him and if there is a potential late-round guy to spell Najee.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Sorry, I just updated access. I copied my template from last year so I thought the access wouldn’t change.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Like Linderbaum there is some wrestling (highschool) in his background too so probably helps him in understanding leverage.
I’ve watched a little Linderbaum. Here’s the cliff notes out of the two games I’ve watched. Movement skills are elite. Probably better than Pouncey in his prime. He is mean, nasty, hard nosed. Technique is phenomenal. And that technique is the only reason he’s been able to hold his own against big nose tackles in college. But I need to see him vs some elite NFL caliber DT’s. I fear he’s going to struggle in the same manner (not nearly as badly though) as Green has. I don’t think he’s even close to Creed Humphrey in comparison. I thought Creed was a first with a possibility of falling to round two. I am going to guess Linderbaum will end up being a solid third round pick on my board. Perhaps late second if there’s some good tape of him vs a stud 6-5 325lb+ DT out there and he shows he held his own.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
QBs: I'd like to see your thoughts on Willis, Ridder, and Strong.

RBs: Rachaad White may be my favorite running back in this draft. Want to hear your thoughts on him and if there is a potential late-round guy to spell Najee.
IMO and I am sorry Pickett fans, Strong is the only first round QB. His accuracy and arm strength are second to none in this draft. Both well above average. Can chuck is 65 yards and make it a catchable football. He has NFL size, is pretty athletic being able to avoid pressure and keep his eyes down field.

Willis imo is a poor mans Justin Fields. Not very accurate, poorly thrown balls, poor decision making, needs to see it to throw it. He does have an NFL arm and is an A+ athlete. But he’s a project being pushed up draft boards by maybe lack of quality QB depth in the draft.

Ridder imo is a decent prospect but not a first round in any means. He’s continued to get better each year and had his best year as a senior. What I see is the speed of the college game for the most part slowed down for him. But he likely needs a couple years to sit and play some mop up to reach his potential. I think we need a guy who can jump in if Rudolph struggles right away. Because whoever jumps in probably only has this year to impress or we’ll be drafting a QB real early in 2023.

Here’s a guy I think isn’t getting enough attention. Aqeel Glass. Rocket arm and very athletic. Needs better accuracy but a guy that has all the physical abilities and could be there in that round 5 or later for us.

Rachaad White runs a lot like Lev Bell. He also like Bell has good hands. The two knocks I have is I don’t see a quick twitch athlete or elite long speed. And he runs a bit too upright for my liking. I think he’s a solid 4th but with a good combine could sneak into day two.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
uh huh

trying to keep secrets from me

when you get to the DL I'd like your thoughts on Logan Hall
I’ve watched like 2 Houston games so this is very preliminary. Well, he’s no Payton Turner but he’s still a good player. Just won’t go that high. The good is he’s versatile enough to play all over the defensive front and that likely will be the key to him making an nfl career. He is a high motor guy who wins with effort and that too should serve him well in the nfl. He’s very long and that’s probably his best physical attribute. Not overly explosive or fast and not too agile. If I were to guess I’d say 5th-7th round guy who makes the team either year one or two after a PS season then becomes a depth guy for 5 or 6 years and has a nice little NFL career.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I’ve watched like 2 Houston games so this is very preliminary. Well, he’s no Payton Turner but he’s still a good player. Just won’t go that high. The good is he’s versatile enough to play all over the defensive front and that likely will be the key to him making an nfl career. He is a high motor guy who wins with effort and that too should serve him well in the nfl. He’s very long and that’s probably his best physical attribute. Not overly explosive or fast and not too agile. If I were to guess I’d say 5th-7th round guy who makes the team either year one or two after a PS season then becomes a depth guy for 5 or 6 years and has a nice little NFL career.
while I don't think he is a 1st rounder I don't see him lasting until the 5th.....

FordFairLane

Reaction score

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Like I said preliminary.
I know

it is early

Hell I didn't think Turner was going in round 1, but the saints fell in love with him so who knows what will happen if Logan has a good showing during the Senior Bowl activities and at the combine

I think his biggest issue is run support, but he is not a liability there either though

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I find it interesting on some of those Cincinnati guys are they just recruiting well? Was surprised about their success this year and they seemed to have some interesting prospects.

What is your thoughts on UConn's Travis Jones? I think he could be a good addition to the run D.

A lot of interesting speed type WRs anyone of them pop out at you?

I think Linder doesn't see round 2 for the positive reasons you referenced. That impressive athletic ability, tenacity, and understanding leverage. I think his wrestling capabilities will help him fine tune his technique and hold his own against NTs. I agree that he will need to tweak that area of his game. I think the difference between him and Green besides the mentioned leverage capability is Linder is a pure C not a G trying to convert. I see him more like Moore in the aspect that he struggled early but improved as the season progressed as Green didn't. I envision that sort of start for Linderbaum.

Thank you for your work I know you put in solid time I'm regards to the draft.

Last edited:

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Thx again for your effort Ford awesome work as always! how about the lowdown on qb Jack Coan ND I think hes getting over looked.. very blue collar but has played in big time programs and keeps improving. reminds a bit of Russell Wilson another 5yr badger in that he just keeps finding ways to move the chains. Sick of qbs that throw short of the sticks ever damn 3rd down! He might be a guy we get cheap that actually challenges for a job maybe fill in till our next Ben shows up lol. Also Ford how about a “third down” back been awhile since we’ve had any speed in the backfield how about 6 rounder like the 9ers got last year… who’s your pick??

Last edited:

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I know

it is early

Hell I didn't think Turner was going in round 1, but the saints fell in love with him so who knows what will happen if Logan has a good showing during the Senior Bowl activities and at the combine

I think his biggest issue is run support, but he is not a liability there either though
Yeah, I liked Payton Turner but figured he’d be more of a 3rd round pick. All it takes is one team to fall in love with you.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
The biggest reason they made the big leap this last season imo was the addition to the running back Ford. He really was the last piece to the puzzle. I still say Gardner is by far the best player on that team and to be honest maybe in this draft. If he runs what I expect at the combine or pro day some teams might drop him far enough on their boards to let him fall to us. I know we need OL, DL, ILB, S, QB but without Haden we do need a CB and that’s assuming we resign Witherspoon. Having a true shutdown CB I feel would play into Witherspoon’s hands as he’s more of a ballhawk and would come away with a ton of picks.

I watched one video on Turner so far so again very preliminary but here’s my two cents. Big bodied space eater who does a nice job stacking and shedding in the run game. He’s also hard to move and requires double teams which he does an “ok” job of splitting. But that double team can free up a linebacker. I guess at this point he reminds me of Vernon Butler. Not a great pass rusher but good enough vs the run to cut out a niche in a defense.

My guess with Linderbaum is he probably comes in shorter than listed. Probably heavier as I’m sure he’s been putting on functional weight in preparation for the draft. But I bet his arm length is around 32”. That’s gonna hurt him. The rest will be phenomenal. I bet he does 30+ reps at 225lbs.
I agree he would instantly be better than Green. Understanding line adjustments, snapping, getting his head up, about everything. But my point is if we can get him in round two why take him in round one?

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Thx again for your effort Ford awesome work as always! how about the lowdown on qb Jack Coan ND I think hes getting over looked.. very blue collar but has played in big time programs and keeps improving. reminds a bit of Russell Wilson another 5yr badger in that he just keeps finding ways to move the chains. Sick of qbs that throw short of the sticks ever damn 3rd down! He might be a guy we get cheap that actually challenges for a job maybe fill in till our next Ben shows up lol. Also Ford how about a “third down” back been awhile since we’ve had any speed in the backfield how about 6 rounder like the 9ers got last year… who’s your pick??
I watched lots of Coan at Wisconsin but need to watch more of him in ND. Positive are this. NFL caliber arm. He can throw an out, deep fly, quicj slant. You name it he has enough juice. Really good footwork and gets the ball out quickly. The negatives are I don’t think he’s 6-3. Maybe but I don’t think so. Touch and accuracy weren’t the best. When at Wisconsin he had lots of easy throws with Taylor taking most of the defensive attention. I’d like to see what he did at ND to give him a fair assessment. Right now I’d say day 3 in that 5th round area. But I’d like to see 3+ games at ND to give him a fair shake.

As for sleeper change of pace or third down back here’s a couple.

Max Borghi is a favorite of mine. Compact running back who is more quick than fast. He has great burst and fast feet but not much on long speed. He has good hands and for a college RB runs decent routes. In pass protection he holds his own in taking on blitzing linebackers and shows the will needed to stick his head into a defender. Probably an UDFA but he could sneak into round 7.

Ty Chandler I probably have higher on my board than everyone. But he’ll rise as he’s a good athlete. I was really high on Alvin Kamara and he reminds me of him. He is a homerun threat every time he touches the ball.

Tyler Badie is your typical third down change of pace back. He reminds me of Nyheim Hines. Probably don’t want to leave him in pass pro but besides that he has everything you want from a third down back. Speed, vision, agility, hands and protects the ball. I again have him way higher than most. But I think he’s a guy you can be high on but patient for. Maybe see if he falls to round 4/5 and get a steal.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
I watched lots of Coan at Wisconsin but need to watch more of him in ND. Positive are this. NFL caliber arm. He can throw an out, deep fly, quicj slant. You name it he has enough juice. Really good footwork and gets the ball out quickly. The negatives are I don’t think he’s 6-3. Maybe but I don’t think so. Touch and accuracy weren’t the best. When at Wisconsin he had lots of easy throws with Taylor taking most of the defensive attention. I’d like to see what he did at ND to give him a fair assessment. Right now I’d say day 3 in that 5th round area. But I’d like to see 3+ games at ND to give him a fair shake.

As for sleeper change of pace or third down back here’s a couple.

Max Borghi is a favorite of mine. Compact running back who is more quick than fast. He has great burst and fast feet but not much on long speed. He has good hands and for a college RB runs decent routes. In pass protection he holds his own in taking on blitzing linebackers and shows the will needed to stick his head into a defender. Probably an UDFA but he could sneak into round 7.

Ty Chandler I probably have higher on my board than everyone. But he’ll rise as he’s a good athlete. I was really high on Alvin Kamara and he reminds me of him. He is a homerun threat every time he touches the ball.

Tyler Badie is your typical third down change of pace back. He reminds me of Nyheim Hines. Probably don’t want to leave him in pass pro but besides that he has everything you want from a third down back. Speed, vision, agility, hands and protects the ball. I again have him way higher than most. But I think he’s a guy you can be high on but patient for. Maybe see if he falls to round 4/5 and get a steal.
Thx ford much appreciated!

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Although I am no expert, I do know hard work when I see it. FordFairLane, you are doing the work and I thank you for the time and effort.

I will continue to read this post throughout the draft process. I liked last years progression and see this year's being a GREAT read as well.

Again thank you to all who post here and especially Ford.

Salute the nation

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO and I am sorry Pickett fans, Strong is the only first round QB. His accuracy and arm strength are second to none in this draft. Both well above average. Can chuck is 65 yards and make it a catchable football. He has NFL size, is pretty athletic being able to avoid pressure and keep his eyes down field.

Willis imo is a poor mans Justin Fields. Not very accurate, poorly thrown balls, poor decision making, needs to see it to throw it. He does have an NFL arm and is an A+ athlete. But he’s a project being pushed up draft boards by maybe lack of quality QB depth in the draft.

Ridder imo is a decent prospect but not a first round in any means. He’s continued to get better each year and had his best year as a senior. What I see is the speed of the college game for the most part slowed down for him. But he likely needs a couple years to sit and play some mop up to reach his potential. I think we need a guy who can jump in if Rudolph struggles right away. Because whoever jumps in probably only has this year to impress or we’ll be drafting a QB real early in 2023.

Here’s a guy I think isn’t getting enough attention. Aqeel Glass. Rocket arm and very athletic. Needs better accuracy but a guy that has all the physical abilities and could be there in that round 5 or later for us.

Rachaad White runs a lot like Lev Bell. He also like Bell has good hands. The two knocks I have is I don’t see a quick twitch athlete or elite long speed. And he runs a bit too upright for my liking. I think he’s a solid 4th but with a good combine could sneak into day two.
nice! I was reading this:

reading between the lines, but not really, Labriola believes Pickett is the #1 QB in the draft:
NICK MOSES FROM SIMI VALLEY, CA: Is this year regarded as a "weak quarterback class" because those in the know don't think highly of Kenny Pickett and Matt Corral at the top of that class, or is it more a matter of there not being much depth behind those guys in this quarterback class?
ANSWER: My opinion is that it's a combination of both of those things, plus this class of draft eligible quarterbacks doesn't compare favorably to recent ones. For example, the 2020 NFL Draft included Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, and Justin Herbert at the top of the class; and in the 2021 NFL Draft, it was Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, and Mac Jones among the quarterbacks at the top of that class. The 2022 group doesn't have any quarterback who's even being considered as the first overall pick, which speaks to the perceived lack of star power in this group. And there also is no consensus that Matt Corral is the quarterback who will get drafted after Pickett.

I do agree with you that Strong may very well be the top QB in the draft - at this point. It's also possible that Corral can mature and be the best QB in the draft. I like Pickett, but he reminds me of Garoppolo - in fact I believe Jimmy G is his ceiling.