• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Finny and Dangerfield

TazManianDevil

Forefather
Reaction score
We're pretty good. Burns got some valuable lessons as well.

Dangerfield is a decent tackler was well...not too shabby.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Finney showed a lot. Kid looks solid.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Very impressive game in the national spotlight for both players. Beyond playing well, they did so in a game the Steelers needed to win following last week's debacle.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
We're pretty good. Burns got some valuable lessons as well.

Dangerfield is a decent tackler was well...not too shabby.

I thought Dangerfield would upgrade the tackling. Finley could start in the future. Only one game but I like what I saw

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I thought Dangerfield would upgrade the tackling. Finley could start in the future. Only one game but I like what I saw

Dangerfield definitely looked like a player. He should play more going forward. Find a way coaches

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Dangerfield definitely looked like a player. He should play more going forward. Find a way coaches

Agreed. Like I said this coachng staff sometimes needs the next man up to find out who can play. I actually think Dangerfield has some on the field leadership ability. He gets guys fired up and loves to play.

obxsteeler

Reaction score
Agreed. Like I said this coachng staff sometimes needs the next man up to find out who can play. I actually think Dangerfield has some on the field leadership ability. He gets guys fired up and loves to play.

Maybe you can name me 5 impact players over the past decade this coaching staff held out too long.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Does Dangerfield take Sean Davis' spot?

Thoughts?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Maybe you can name me 5 impact players over the past decade this coaching staff held out too long.

Impact players are rare but, Bryant would be one. He took too long to become active for games. Upgrades are shown often. It looks like Dangerfield is an upgrade over Davis at least for now.

Golden is better than Will Allen. Clearly he should have played sooner. Tuitt could have played sooner. Thomas was awful. And anyone would be an upgrade over Blake.

There's five and I only went back two years. With 60 plus practices the pre season , games and access fans do not have the Tomlin in hindsight would have been better off playing the other player in several cases.

Last edited:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Impact players are rare but, Bryant would be one. He took too long to become active for games. Upgrades are shown often. It looks like Dangerfield is an upgrade over Davis at least for now.

Golden is better than Will Allen. Clearly he should have played more sooner. Tuitt could have played sooner. Thomas was awful. And anyone would be an upgrade over Blake.

There's five and I only went back two years.

Yeah you pulled that out your *** where it could of stayed. Bryant didn't play for a reason..

And did you really make a thread about Davis and Dangerfield. Please tell you didn't do that. Cause it looks like the mods merged your thread. You had the audacity to ask that but won't even make a comment about Bell and Williams???

Wingman

Reaction score
Sometimes it is the new player is not banged up. When the player ahead comes back healthy he might be better. I also suspect it is hard to tell sometimes who will be most effective your starter at 90% or his back up at 100% if the next guy is also a good player. Nice problem to have when the next guy is also a good player. In some instances it might be match ups that make one guy look better than another. In the case of rookies vs guys that have been around a while it could be faster recognition that lets the veteran player react quicker that makes them look better.

In any case I think having quality players that can rotate in and out for each other will be a huge benefit to the team down the road. It will allow the new guys to get better and stay fresher. It will help with the vets keeping them fresher and hopefully if a player needs to take a week off to get back to form it does not hurt the team. It might make for a nice wrinkle to be able to tailor personnel to match what the other team can put on the field, much like managers do with pitchers in baseball.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Timmons took 3 years to start, Golden took till his second contract. Harrison was made a full time starter by Tomlin after 5yrs bouncing on and off the roster. Villanueva took a couple years to learn LT. I like Eli's progression (if he can stay healthy), though he's only been on the team for his 2nd year now.

The castoffs we've had start at corner has been impressive in a coach-em-up way. I do like how Cockrell is developing, and he's getting better each game.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Golden is better than Will Allen. Clearly he should have played more sooner. Tuitt could have played sooner. Thomas was awful. And anyone would be an upgrade over Blake.

Yeah you pulled that out your *** where it could of stayed. Bryant didn't play for a reason..

And did you really make a thread about Davis and Dangerfield. Please tell you didn't do that. Cause it looks like the mods merged your thread. You had the audacity to ask that but won't even make a comment about Bell and Williams???

Bryant could have played sooner. Are you trying to tell me he could not dress for games over say our 52nd or 53rd man? Get out. There were reports that Bryant was practicing well, Tomlin didn't give him a hat.

As for the other points, Tomlin has a history of not seeing who the best player is to start in many cases where a below average veteran is holding down the starting job.

Dangerfield in one game looked better than Davis in three.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Timmons took 3 years to start, Golden took till his second contract. Harrison was made a full time starter by Tomlin after 5yrs bouncing on and off the roster. Villanueva took a couple years to learn LT. I like Eli's progression (if he can stay healthy), though he's only been on the team for his 2nd year now.

The castoffs we've had start at corner has been impressive in a coach-em-up way. I do like how Cockrell is developing, and he's getting better each game.

A point on Cockrell. He's smart and went to Duke. Coaching him up is not an issue. I liked Cockrell in round three that draft and I read the Steelers like him too.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
surprised Cooch didnt pimp Chickillo as an impact player

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

Bryant could have played sooner. Are you trying to tell me he could not dress for games over say our 52nd or 53rd man? Get out. There were reports that Bryant was practicing well, Tomlin didn't give him a hat.

As for the other points, Tomlin has a history of not seeing who the best player is to start in many cases where a below average veteran is holding down the starting job.

Care to provide a link of those reports of Bryant practicing well but not getting a hat

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

Development Of WR Martavis Bryant Not Special Enough To Warrant Getting A Helmet

Up until Saturday afternoon, it looked like Pittsburgh Steelers rookie wide receiver Martavis Bryant would finally dress for the first time this season for the Sunday game against the Cleveland Browns. However, now that safety Ross Ventrone has been signed off of the practice squad to replace injured safety Shamarko Thomas on special teams, Bryant will more than likely watch his sixth straight Steelers game Sunday afternoon on the sideline in street clothes.

Ventrone’s promotion from the practice squad probably shouldn’t be a huge shock, however, especially when you consider the comments made Thursday afternoon by Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley when he was asked to talk about Bryant’s progress so far along with his chances of dressing Sunday against the Browns.

“He is making progress, no doubt about it,” said Haley of Bryant, the Steelers fourth-round draft pick back in May. “From an offensive standpoint, when you start talking about those guys you are talking about big picture, special teams and where they fit in. Some of those things are also factors in it. Ultimately that will come down to Coach Tomlin.”

While Bryant might indeed be making progress as a wide receiver in practice, it’s obvious that he has yet to show anything on special teams as a gunner and that’s not a huge surprise. Unfortunately his lack of development in that area will more than likely prevent him from dressing Sunday against the Browns as Ventrone is a much more accomplished special teams player.

Haley also dropped us more clues Thursday that the Clemson product wouldn’t likely dress Sunday against the Browns when asked if Bryant’s shoulder injury that he suffered during the preseason finale slowed down his development some.

“Any missed time for a rookie is going to be a setback,” Haley said. “But I wouldn’t say it was any one thing. This is a highly competitive situation when you are talking about those fours, fives and sixes at positions like receiver. Our saying is “The more you can do.” So the more you can have the special teams coach need you or the offense need you, whether it’s in situations or we just need you in general, those are all going to be factors that help you get a helmet on Sundays.”

For now, Bryant will likely remain one of the Steelers seven inactive players moving forward baring any injuries to the other five wide receivers on the roster. It might even take a few injuries at the position in order for Bryant to get a helmet as the team showed during the first two weeks of the season that they are willing to play a game with only four healthy wide receivers when Lance Moore was sidelined with a groin injury.

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...bryant-special-enough-warrant-getting-helmet/

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Care to provide a link of those reports of Bryant practicing well but not getting a hat

I'm 100% sure of it. I raised the point last year. Check the October Papers that cover the Steelers. One said he was practicing well, but still in-active. Bryant's valve, even in just a few routes or plays was blatantly obvious. Could have been activated a week sooner.

A head coach's job is to give his team every edge. Tomlin in hindsight in terms of who starts or gets more snaps has his share of mistakes. Just admit it and move on...

Wingman

Reaction score
Practicing well, making progress etc, would not translate to ready to start. The guy may not be ready till he is ready if he does not have some of the routes or his reads down he will run the wrong route and the pass will likely be a pick or incomplete. I have no issue with taking time to develop guys to the point the fans are wondering why they weren't out there sooner. It might be if they were out there sooner none of us would wonder why. Guys were squawking about it being too soon for burns to be on the field because of some poor play. They will likely do the best they can with what they have. Sometimes being in the game and prepping with the first team or in the packages used makes a lot of difference.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I'm 100% sure of it. I raised the point last year. Check the October Papers that cover the Steelers. One said he was practicing well, but still in-active. Bryant's valve, even in just a few routes or plays was blatantly obvious. Could have been activated a week sooner.

A head coach's job is to give his team every edge. Tomlin in hindsight in terms of who starts or gets more snaps has his share of mistakes. Just admit it and move on...

So you are going to just ignore the link posted as to why he didn't get a hat to continue with your bull ****..