• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

FINALLY: Free agency is fun

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmmm .... well, along those lines, they did actually change GMs. Maybe Omar called the shots on fortifying the trenches and asked the Assistant-GM for his input on personnel. You don't add a pro bowl caliber guard without the GM greenlighting it.
I don't know. I'm just mesmerized by the fact that Andy is getting all the credit and he's not even the guy who calls any of the shots.

Andy isn’t getting all the credit, Most reports talk about the action of Kahn and how much progress they have made in shoring up through free agency.

Wiedl’s name is brought into the mix but only because he is new here and face it, the STERELERS are not following the the mold of Christmas past.

I think it is a good mix of knowledge from both with a little mix of Kahn being held back by them NOT firing Colbert immediately upon announcing Kahn’s promotion. This fact created doubt in Kahn’s ability right from the get go.

Also don’t lose sight that Wiedl actually ia good at his job

Salute the nation

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It feels like shuffling deck chairs with this type of approach.

Daniels was really good the 2nd half last year and that was against some very good defensive tackles (Broderick Washington, Justin Madubuike, Deforest Buckner, DJ Reader, Vita Vea, Grover Stewart).

Also, Isaac Seumalo is a REALLY good pass blocker. Pair him with Cole and he improves the run blocking as well. Those two additions make the interior offensive line MUCH better.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
He was known to be a trenches guy upon arrival and they are attacking trenches. Seems to be logical that he deserves some credit for it. Who did you have in mind? Omar? I am not confident that he isn't just putting his trust in Andy as far as targets. Sure he is signing off. ...
My point of view, which is based on nothing like known facts, is that it's a collective decision making process. I don't think any of them are singularly responsible for the personnel decisions we like. Nor do I think that when they draft someone we hate, any one of them will be singularly responsible. I do believe however, that Kaaaahn has a little more sway in the OL/DL/LB upgrades than most seem to. And, if he's relying on Andy's input, well, he's being smart. If I'm the boss and a subordinate has a skill/area of expertise that's relevant, I'm taking his input into consideration. But, I'm not blindly just signing off on his ideas/input.

SteveA

Reaction score
Ufas are the worse way to build a team… everyone worth a damn is typically overpriced and many have enough wear that the reason their previous team didn’t retain them is the dropoff is going to be severe… many more won’t adequately adjust to a new scheme or roll…

The best solution has always been to develop through the draft and just add bit players to the team…

Steelers fans love the big name hunting, but most are just wastes whose role could have been better served with a cheap free agent or draft pick instead …

Last year: OMG everyone… we just signed a bunch of olinemen and miles freaking jack… and we got MITCH Trabisky

This year: hey lets cut or demote all those guys .. the suck or are average…
Not diggin this....negative vibes...You are benched
Can have one day without complaints???
For real...Or maybe find another team...SHEESH

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
My point of view, which is based on nothing like known facts, is that it's a collective decision making process. I don't think any of them are singularly responsible for the personnel decisions we like. Nor do I think that when they draft someone we hate, any one of them will be singularly responsible. I do believe however, that Kaaaahn has a little more sway in the OL/DL/LB upgrades than most seem to. And, if he's relying on Andy's input, well, he's being smart. If I'm the boss and a subordinate has a skill/area of expertise that's relevant, I'm taking his input into consideration. But, I'm not blindly just signing off on his ideas/input.
Of course it is a group effort. It has been said before through reports. Omar is known to be more capable than some perceive. But at the same time I am sure they all have their specialties. If Andy is setting the draft board like per reports I tend to think he also is swaying his specialty which again is reported trenches. Even in a collective whole of decision making you will always have someone who is stronger say in this instance positionally. Like Ike Taylor would be with corners. Omar probably has his preference too.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

I hear yayz SteelBuckeye, I would think it’s an accumulation of all involved. Heck, I’m the owner / boss of my company and I consult all the time with employees about various things to make us better or justify the methods being used.

They would be fools to not consult each other in personnel matters. In fact I would suggest they have group meetings with both managerial and scouting, continuously barking over the players at hand, including the upcoming draft.

The BIG board is comprised of several’s input, just because the one guy tapes the name (magic marker athletic tape) to the board doesn’t mean he has sole input on that name.

I’m in the near same mind-set that it is many and continually shared input, that finalized the BIG board / pick / acquisition of FA / ect. ect….. SOME input is more specialized in certain areas and vise versa, thus allowing the broad spectrum needed in decision making.

Salute the nation

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Not diggin this....negative vibes...You are benched

For real...Or maybe find another team...SHEESH
Meh, it's not as if our opinions influence anything or anyone.
Diametrically opposed thoughts at least have entertainment value, and it would be pretty boring around here if we all agreed on everything.

That said, I'm personally pleased with the Steeler moves in FA so far, and take full credit for making it happen. :ROFLMAO:

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Meh, it's not as if our opinions influence anything or anyone.
Diametrically opposed thoughts at least have entertainment value, and it would be pretty boring around here if we all agreed on everything.

That said, I'm personally pleased with the Steeler moves in FA so far, and take full credit for making it happen. :ROFLMAO:

You SIR, need a ride in the LUXURY S10. I'll take the first 15-20 minutes easy so you can eat the complimentary 5lb BACON slice samich, then it's all hell and possible diaper needed ride.!!!!

After all that, you'll have a new outlook on opinions............................ Good or Bad, I'm there for yaz.!!!

Salute the nation

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
You SIR, need a ride in the LUXURY S10. I'll take the first 15-20 minutes easy so you can eat the complimentary 5lb BACON slice samich, then it's all hell and possible diaper needed ride.!!!!

After all that, you'll have a new outlook on opinions............................ Good or Bad, I'm there for yaz.!!!

Salute the nation
Thank you for the kind offer, and not to brag, but I do have a 26 year old F250, and while it may not be up to the standards of the LUXURY S10, it does serve my transportation needs.

As far as the bacon goes, I'm good. My neighbor supplied every family on the block with 20-25 pounds after the freezer at his food warehouse broke down. Looking for recipes.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Daniels was really good the 2nd half last year and that was against some very good defensive tackles (Broderick Washington, Justin Madubuike, Deforest Buckner, DJ Reader, Vita Vea, Grover Stewart).

Also, Isaac Seumalo is a REALLY good pass blocker. Pair him with Cole and he improves the run blocking as well. Those two additions make the interior offensive line MUCH better.
That would be my add a quality starter comment that you cut out of the quote.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Can have one day without complaints???
You can be the ripest, juiciest peach. There will always be someone who hates peaches.

Such is life. I agree though. Lol. The complaints become a lot more humorous as you get older. Well at least from my perspective they do.

I like the complaints where they give you their life story on how they became a fan of <insert sports team> then they proceed to nit pick how <insert sport here> is changing generationally.

^^^
Like yeah! Of course the sport is going to change generationally. It changes with the influx of youth. That’s just reality

Good stuff man. I’m giggling typing this actually
:geek:

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind offer, and not to brag, but I do have a 26 year old F250, and while it may not be up to the standards of the LUXURY S10, it does serve my transportation needs.

As far as the bacon goes, I'm good. My neighbor supplied every family on the block with 20-25 pounds after the freezer at his food warehouse broke down. Looking for recipes.

I remember now, so to sweeten the pot, you get to drive while I eat a BACON samich provided by you……

We could stop and pick BLITZ up, then head to Canada to see Paul, he has a Tone of recipes

All in fun ZonaBurgh, have a great day SIR

Salute the nation

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
You can be the ripest, juiciest peach. There will always be someone who hates peaches.

Such is life. I agree though. Lol. The complaints become a lot more humorous as you get older. Well at least from my perspective they do.

I like the complaints where they give you their life story on how they became a fan of <insert sports team> then they proceed to nit pick how <insert sport here> is changing generationally.

^^^
Like yeah! Of course the sport is going to change generationally. It changes with the influx of youth. That’s just reality

Good stuff man. I’m giggling typing this actually
:geek:
I hate Peaches!!!

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I remember now, so to sweeten the pot, you get to drive while I eat a BACON samich provided by you……

We could stop and pick BLITZ up, then head to Canada to see Paul, he has a Tone of recipes

All in fun ZonaBurgh, have a great day SIR

Salute the nation
I had a bacon burrito

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
There are 3 distinct modules to football team management, FA, Draft, and season management. Free Agency is about addressing shortfalls NOW, (from the end of the season until camp), and really has nothing to do with the Draft. The Draft is a completely separate module of team management, where you attempt to find entry level players to build with long term. Season management is moving the pieces on hand around to field a Championship team. There are also a number of sub-modules within the 3 main modules.

FA period really doesn’t affect you Drafting unless you fail in the other two modules. If you are drafting to fill holes, then you are most likely failing during the Draft. Sure you want to come away with players that can start and play well., but drafting to fill holes causes you to overreact and draft players above their true value.

Over the last number of years the Steelers have not been as successful in the Draft because the have been failing in FA. Failing to be proactive in FAhas set them up to be less successful in the Draft. Just look at the players that have been drafted to fill HOLES way above their true position because the reached and overreacted.

Harris, Green, Edmunds, Bush, Burns, Davis, Golson, Jarvis Jones - taken to fill a hole when other positions would have been better served long term. I will always be a proponent of active FA and Drafting BPA for value.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmmm .... well, along those lines, they did actually change GMs. Maybe Omar called the shots on fortifying the trenches and asked the Assistant-GM for his input on personnel. You don't add a pro bowl caliber guard without the GM greenlighting it.
I don't know. I'm just mesmerized by the fact that Andy is getting all the credit and he's not even the guy who calls any of the shots.
New guys always get the credit when things change after their arrival, whether they deserve it or not. Sometimes just the change of direction is what is needed.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He was known to be a trenches guy upon arrival and they are attacking trenches. Seems to be logical that he deserves some credit for it. Who did you have in mind? Omar? I am not confident that he isn't just putting his trust in Andy as far as targets. Sure he is signing off. ...
I would guess that Kahn is not 100% in charge of the team just yet, just like the early years with Tomlin. Training wheels are in play here, as they were then.