• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

ESPN Finally Wonders if They Are Political?

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hardly watch all any longer...

Mostly for college football games..

And also the show Highly Questionable...Love that show!

SCSteeler4life

Contributor
Reaction score
Great read thanks for sharing. It's always the same with the left they preach tolerance only if it lines up with there beliefs. The firing of Schilling, the demotion of Ditka, the moving of the golf tournament from Trumps resort ect. I hardly ever watch anymore, Im just so sick of the hypocrisy.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Geepers, could that article be any longer????? ESPN wants it both ways. They want their political bullshit all over the air and want us consumers to follow in suit. This isn't something new to ESPN. I quite watching it totally near five years ago. When some of their analysist(s) started doing those "editorial" type readings of a particular subject. That is when their political agenda was born. Like the NFL, it's suddenly catching up to them when us fans / consumers are smart enough to know what we want and the difference we make. ESPN is so yesterday and I for one won't be tuning in.

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Worth noting that ESPN dropped NASCAR several years ago because, naturally, most NASCAR fans are white men.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
ESPN lost their ways long ago. I was down to watching just college football, but I get so tired of what they have in the booth. I've seen them talk about everything but the game so many times it is a big turn off. They all feel like they are experts on every play and what should be done or wasn't done. They sound like the ESPN talk shows that are a complete waste of energy.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
They are a **** show and deserve to collapse.

Perhaps college football will be their saving grace, but I don't watch them anymore.

Politics have no business in Hollywood or on the football field.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
The ONLY time I ever tune into ESPN is for football, of course I DVR the games to miss their advertising and mute the games while watching. Complete pos network, someone else could definitely air the games and the world would be better by their disappearance.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
ESPN is losing tons of subscribers and they are finally wondering why. Long article but worth the read or at least a skim.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/...espn-dealing-with-changing-political-dynamics

Don't watch espn unless the I have to and then I TiVo it so I don't watch the commercials. When they gave that Bruce Jenner an award for dressing like a girl over a girl who died of cancer it made me sick. I love free will and so far I've demonstrated silent protests over media outlets and companies by either not watching or purchasing their products or services. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I literally brought back Campbell's soup after she bought it. I told the customer service person when they asked why, "I don't support Campbell's soup and refuse to spend my money on them". They looked dumbfounded but it was a millennial so she probably needed to go to her safe place or thought you need to steal a tv to protest.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Worth noting that ESPN dropped NASCAR several years ago because, naturally, most NASCAR fans are white men.

TRue, white dudes love it (i don't though and I am pretty freaking white) but are you sure they didn't drop it because the sport sucks?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
TRue, white dudes love it (i don't though and I am pretty freaking white) but are you sure they didn't drop it because the sport sucks?

Doesn't suck, the NBA sucks*, but the article also mentions that Disney owns ESPN now and they're a bastion of Leftism.

* Pittsburgh does not have an NBA team, therefore the NBA does not matter.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't suck, the NBA sucks*, but the article also mentions that Disney owns ESPN now and they're a bastion of Leftism.

* Pittsburgh does not have an NBA team, therefore the NBA does not matter.

I hate the nba...it's exactly where the nfl is heading, unfortunately. But nascar is worse than watching grass grow. I grew up on a racetrack. My uncles built and raced...I loved it and I love short track banging...nascar ******* sucks.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I hate the nba...it's exactly where the nfl is heading, unfortunately. But nascar is worse than watching grass grow. I grew up on a racetrack. My uncles built and raced...I loved it and I love short track banging...nascar ******* sucks.

NASCAR has been doing similar things such as what the NFL has been doing. Changing rules, governing the out comes, phantom penalties............ Ect... These sports are setting themselves out of the ordinary fan's reach. One way to tell is this question...... " does the cost of the ticket equal the entertainment value of the product? ". BOTH cases no. Bruce Springstein in his glory days was putting concerts on for about the same wage the average man was making. It would cost you 16-24 dollars for his ticket and he put on a 2-21/2 hour show. Point being the cost of his ticket was well worth the value of entertainment. Is the cost of an NFL game ticket worth, in some cases, a week or more pay?????? **** NO

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
NASCAR has been doing similar things such as what the NFL has been doing. Changing rules, governing the out comes, phantom penalties............ Ect... These sports are setting themselves out of the ordinary fan's reach. One way to tell is this question...... " does the cost of the ticket equal the entertainment value of the product? ". BOTH cases no. Bruce Springstein in his glory days was putting concerts on for about the same wage the average man was making. It would cost you 16-24 dollars for his ticket and he put on a 2-21/2 hour show. Point being the cost of his ticket was well worth the value of entertainment. Is the cost of an NFL game ticket worth, in some cases, a week or more pay?????? **** NO

We went to the Jets game a few weeks ago and between tickets, parking, and some food I dropped about $400. I don't have that kind of money to spend more than once or twice a year. Some years not at all.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We went to the Jets game a few weeks ago and between tickets, parking, and some food I dropped about $400. I don't have that kind of money to spend more than once or twice a year. Some years not at all.

Was the cost of the ticket worth the entertainment value of the game?????

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Considering that we only go once or twice a season, yes. But again, I don't have a spare $3200 to do it eight times a year.

NASCAR needs to allow bigger tires, stickier tires, whatever, so there aren't 5 cautions in the last 15 laps of every race. You do the first 475 miles in three hours and it takes another hour to run the last 25.

Last edited:

papillon

Reaction score
ESPN sucks, politics has infested the station long,long ago and I have no reason to watch, so I don't. If I want political news I'll turn on any of the cable news networks, CNN, MSNBC, FOXNEWS, etc. that's where I go for political discourse. I don't really give a crap if Randy Moss or Trent Dilfer voted for Trump or Clinton or if they support Kaperjackass, etc. Give me the scores and analysis for hockey, baseball, football, etc. I haven't had an ESPN show on in years, I'll watch a game, that's it.

Papillon

Troglodyte

Reaction score

Salute the nation

The Steelers have lost the last five games I've attended. There's no guarantee they win or that the weather won't be miserable. To me, the ONLY way it's worth it is if they win and it's a reasonably nice day, so I've stopped attending games. I'm fairly wealthy and a huge Steelers fan - I take them losing personally. I struggle to understand how they continue to sell out games.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I struggle to understand how they continue to sell out games.

A lot of season ticket holders sell maybe half their tickets to people like me, who go once a year, at a premium, and use the money to pay for their season tickets.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of sports and entertainment are pricing themselves out from the average Joe.

Case in point, my daughter asked if I would get her tickets to the NCAA final four, for Christmas. It will be held at the Cardinals Stadium in Glendale, AZ next spring.

So I go online line and look. Cheapest seat, and I mean nose bleed, behind the basket, was $650 a piece. And who watches basketball in a football arena anyway?

I told her if it means that much to her, she'd better start saving.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Espn has been crap since the early 2000's... why would anyone follow that shitshow anymore is beyond me... when they got MNF I quit watching MNF because I hated their SNF program... they are beyond bad with opinions and foolish sensationalism...