• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Each Team's Worst Ever QB

Ghost of Frenchy Fuqua

Reaction score
Best sign ever; was at Three Rivers during the "Malone Era":

"Dear Santa: We want a new QB - ours is broken."

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Woodley or Graham in my estimation. O'Donnell had a good run as an above average QB. Brooks Bollinger was way worse.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Since I wasn't born during the Malone days. For me its Kent Graham or Tommy Maddox. I was in 8th grade during Maddox' comeback season. I was so excited for the '03 season. But once the Steelers started losing. I was left in the dark

swal75

Reaction score
I barely remember a lot of these 80s seasons as football wasn't really a big thing for me back then. But easily Malone is the correct answer here. Stoudt was perhaps shittier for 1 season, but Malone had a much longer period of ****. Was everyone coked out of their minds in the 80s?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Well for my memories from the early 70's and on to modern day I'd hafta say without question it was Mark Malone in 1987. I think he started 12 games and threw 20 INT's to 6 TD's and about 1800 yds. It was absolutely the worst Steelers QB Performance ever!

Ken Graham was awful no doubt but he didn't get as many starts...thank god!

Cliff Stoudt was very bad too but IMO the 1987 season with Malone was the worst QB performance in a season I can remember! Oh the horror!

I remember on NFL Gameday Chris Berman dubbed Mark Malone "The Master of the Bounce Pass". CLASSIC TO THIS DAY!

There was a period in either the late 80's or early 90's when the Steeler defense actually scored more TD's on fumble and INT returns than the offense did.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Easily goes to Kent Graham. At the very least, Malone caught the longest TD play in team history at one point against SEA. He showed some athletic ability unlike Graham who did a fantastic impression of Frankenstein in cement. Even Maddox showed signs of having an arm for a few games. Remember "Tommy Gun"? That was some promise of having an arm until that Jax(garbage in my yard) game.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Easily goes to Kent Graham. At the very least, Malone caught the longest TD play in team history at one point against SEA. He showed some athletic ability unlike Graham who did a fantastic impression of Frankenstein in cement. Even Maddox showed signs of having an arm for a few games. Remember "Tommy Gun"? That was some promise of having an arm until that Jax(garbage in my yard) game.

Malone started out pretty good but did have a severe knee injury early in his career and was never the same after that.

steelermania

Reaction score
You guys are young. I remember Dick Shiner, and Kent Nix, ugh. Hanratty was beyond awful, I don't give a damn that he was a local guy.

As for Jim Miller, he did ok in Chicago. The Steelers were coming off of a Super Bowl appearance, and the vets on the team wanted no part of breaking in a young qb with a team that good. They bent Cowher's ear asking for Tomczak, and Bill caved in because he figured if Tomczak failed, Kordell would be ready by next year. It actually worked out to a degree, as Kordell had his second best overall season in 97, and the team had a great year.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Malone started out pretty good but did have a severe knee injury early in his career and was never the same after that.

I believe he had a 90 yd TD catch from Terry......Mark was an athlete.

Chicoman

Reaction score
I believe he had a 90 yd TD catch from Terry......Mark was an athlete.

I don't know who threw the pass but I believe it was against the Seattle Seahawks in a game where the Steelers got completely destroyed!

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I don't know who threw the pass but I believe it was against the Seattle Seahawks in a game where the Steelers got completely destroyed!

That stood for a long time as the Steelers' longest receiving TD until Mike Wallace broke it for 95 yds.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Who writes this dumb ****. Like really who writes this dumb ****. The Steelers were horrible up until the teams of the 70s and we're pretty horrible till the teams of the 90s. I'm thinking Neil was probably top 10 best. I never forgave him for the SB loss bur worst ever Cmon.

steelrzgirl

Forefather
Reaction score
You guys are young. I remember Dick Shiner, and Kent Nix, ugh. Hanratty was beyond awful, I don't give a damn that he was a local guy.

As for Jim Miller, he did ok in Chicago. The Steelers were coming off of a Super Bowl appearance, and the vets on the team wanted no part of breaking in a young qb with a team that good. They bent Cowher's ear asking for Tomczak, and Bill caved in because he figured if Tomczak failed, Kordell would be ready by next year. It actually worked out to a degree, as Kordell had his second best overall season in 97, and the team had a great year.
Now your going back. I remember my dad and Uncle having arguments that almost ended in fist fights over Hanratty. They argued about him well after he was gone. My dad and his brothers are thick as thieves, but the Steelers could bring them to blows. Not the Pirates, just the Steelers.

coupon

Reaction score
I just find it interesting that steelrzgirl likes black&goldenshowers.

scraps

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Jim Miller. And I thought it was a mistake to bench him that soon.

This one pissed me off for years. Miller had a so-so first half in game 1 and was pulled and never put back in as a starter. He had a rocket for an arm. Liked to see what he could've done if he was given a chance to develop under a conservative offense that featured Bettis.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
And SG - I also hate the list bullshit. Its so people can't copy and paste the list.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
I replied to this back when the article came out on the CBS Site.

Mark Malone is THE WORST Starting QB we have had in the Superbowl era, and it isn't even close. He had a terrible record. Had a 3-4 TD to INT ratio. And the biggest reason of all is, HE is the reason why we didn't draft Dan Marino. That alone makes him the worst QB for our franchise.

I think the team not drafting Marino had more to do with Dan's predilection for nose candy and ****** than it did with Mark Malone.

swal75

Reaction score
I think Dwight Stone had a 90 yard TD as well

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
A joke. O'Donnell is likely our 3rd best QB since the AFL-NFL merger. Had he not gone to the Jets, I think we play in another super bowl. Our worst QB. Geez, pick your poison. Kent Graham? Could be Kordell as the Steelers we spent too many years with a great team around him.

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Who writes this dumb ****. Like really who writes this dumb ****. The Steelers were horrible up until the teams of the 70s and we're pretty horrible till the teams of the 90s. I'm thinking Neil was probably top 10 best. I never forgave him for the SB loss bur worst ever Cmon.

Yeah, it's more like worst QB's since 1990.

Steel G

Reaction score
Malone, Woodley, Stoudt, Graham....all good answers. But let's not forget this one, Todd Blackledge. He somehow managed to win a game by completing 9 of 28 passes. It was against the Stains, guess that explains it.

papillon

Reaction score
Here are some names that haven't been mentioned: Brister, Kruczek, Gilliam, Woodley, Campbell (Scott) and Bono (Steve). Neil O'Donnell was hardly the worst Steeler quarterback. And, not to mention just prior to Terry Bradshaw being drafted they had Dick Shiner (yes, that's his real name) and Kent Nix.

Papillon