• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Dupree fines for hit on Moore

awboatguy

Reaction score
Report: Dupree fined $18K for hit on Dolphins' Moore
Dan WilkinsJan 12 2017, 14:01
It was only a matter of time before Bud Dupree heard from the league office in regard to his hit on Miami Dolphins quarterback Matt Moore.

The Pittsburgh Steelers' linebacker has been fined $18,321 for a violent shot that caught Moore underneath the chin, briefly forcing him to the sidelines in last week's wild-card game, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports, citing a source.

Dupree was flagged for roughing the passer on the play, but an offsetting Dolphins foul during the ensuing scrum promptly wiped out the 15-yard penalty.

Moore was down on the field for several moments before being helped to the sideline, receiving clearance to re-enter the game just one play later.

The NFL has since launched a review of the concussion protocol carried out by the medical staff in allowing him to return so quickly.

That's about 8k more than I'd thought he would get.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Reaction score
Godell can suck a bag of whatever the dirtiest most disgusting things one can think of

Mayonnaise is pretty much the most disgusting thing I can think of. But I don't think a dirty bag of food condiment properly conveys your sentiment. I'm sure there are plenty other bags of disgusting things he can suck that would reflect your feelings towards him. I guess I'm just trying to say I agree with you.

Steelmann

Reaction score
To be expected,I would think. If Suh did that to Ben,we would be screaming bloody murder. Doesn't mean it's right,but it is what it is.

By the way,Bud is coming on strong!

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
Did Ajayi get fined for his retaliatory pushing and shoving on Dupree that drew a 15 yard Un-Sportsman like conduct penalty?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Cm'on guys. That was an illegal hit. There was no way that wasn't going to be fined. I would say it may not have been a dirty hit. It was clearly illegal.

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
Cm'on guys. That was an illegal hit. There was no way that wasn't going to be fined. I would say it may not have been a dirty hit. It was clearly illegal.
It was "illegal" by rule definition. Wasn't dirty IMHO.
Offsides, Pass interference, neutral zone infractions and "illegal" shifts are violations of the rules and they warrant yardage penalties. Not sure, do they carry monetary fines as well?

Last edited:

Mr.Rocco

Reaction score
Maybe it was an illegal hit but and I have know idea what his thought process is other than do his job and that is to kill the ********** that has the ball.
I don't think it was intentional and I'm ok with Dupree slamming the hammer if the opportunity is there.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The things Burfect and and Suh do are often dirty. To me dirty is intent which is hard to prove either way. Illegal hit that could have (and probably did) do great bodily harm is going to get fined every time. An illegal hit is not the same as an offside or PI. Please.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
If the tackle was intended to hit the player at "center mast" - and the offensive player starts to go down and the helmet of the defender hits him in the facemask - should be a judgment call by the refs. Yes, it was a big hit, but, I would necessary deem it "illegal"...

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
Maybe it was an illegal hit but and I have know idea what his thought process is other than do his job and that is to kill the ********** that has the ball.
I don't think it was intentional and I'm ok with Dupree slamming the hammer if the opportunity is there.
If Dupree gets the same opportunity to nail Smith on Sunday does anyone think risking a fine will now deter him?
I don't, when the QB leaves the pocket Defenders lower the crosshairs and foam at the mouth for a hit.
Won't happen anyway, only way Smith takes off running is if there are no defenders around or he just throws the ball away.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
Not sure what play some of you are talking about. Moore did not lower his head. It was a stupid play by Dupree. It could easily have been interpreted as a spear. He's lucky they didn't toss him out.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Clean hit. Guy is way out of the pocket as a runner/passer....a fine?pfffft.I guess if he was a running back it would be a ok. This organization won 6 Super Bowl by playing nasty hard hitting defense as well as good offense. What nonsense

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I'm glad he plays with an edge. Peezy played with edge. Harrison plays with edge. Lambert and Lloyd played even closers to it. But you have to accept the penalties that comes with it. That was an illegal hit. I wouldn't say it was dirty. But if it was birth defects on Ben.?

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure what play some of you are talking about. Moore did not lower his head. It was a stupid play by Dupree. It could easily have been interpreted as a spear. He's lucky they didn't toss him out.

This isn't college ball, no one has been tossed from a game for "spearing". It takes multiple personal foul penalties of a certain variety to get tossed out of a game, or throwing a punch.

SECTION 4 – AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION

ARTICLE 1. MULTIPLE FOULS
In addition to any penalty referenced elsewhere in the Official Playing Rules, a player will be automatically disqualified in the event that player is penalized twice in the same game for committing one of the fouls listed below, or a combination of the fouls listed below:

Throwing a punch, or a forearm, or kicking at an opponent, even though no contact is made.
Using abusive, threatening, or insulting language or gestures to opponents, teammates, officials, or representatives of the League.
Using baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams.
The player will be automatically disqualified regardless of whether the penalty is accepted or declined by the opponent. The fouls do not have to be judged by the official to be flagrant for the automatic disqualification to occur, and any foul that occurs during the pregame warm-up period will carry over into the game. Nothing in this section supersedes the Game Official’s discretion to judge a foul to be flagrant and disqualify the player based on one occurrence.

as for the thread, I don't think the question is whether or not it was a legal or illegal hit, I think the question is the fine amount. This is Dupree's first offense, and that is AWFULLY HIGH.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
This isn't college ball, no one has been tossed from a game for "spearing". It takes multiple personal foul penalties of a certain variety to get tossed out of a game, or throwing a punch.

as for the thread, I don't think the question is whether or not it was a legal or illegal hit, I think the question is the fine amount. This is Dupree's first offense, and that is AWFULLY HIGH.
Point taken on the multiple fouls required to be tossed. Could have easily been a personal foul but not an ejection. Not sure you what's up with the quotation marks on "spearing". I guess I could have written out "leading with the crown of the helmet". On your second point I am responding to those saying it was a clean hit.

Stewey

Reaction score
It was "illegal" by rule definition. Wasn't dirty IMHO.
Offsides, Pass interference, neutral zone infractions and "illegal" shifts are violations of the rules and they warrant yardage penalties. Not sure, do they carry monetary fines as well?

Of course not. There's little chance a player gets carted off the field because of a neutral zone infraction.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Now that the NFL has admitted that this is a helmet to helmet hit that merited the fine, I am expecting the dolphins to be fined or docked a draft pick for putting Moore into harms way by not officially clearing any protocol.

6Lombardis

Reaction score

Stupid?? No. He just needed a slight adjustment to his technique. Even still, the hit had the potential to dramatically impact the game's outcome to our benefit. If Clark doesn't take out Walker (not sure if that was fined), we perhaps don't win that NE game back in 08.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
Stupid?? No. He just needed a slight adjustment to his technique. Even still, the hit had the potential to dramatically impact the game's outcome to our benefit. If Clark doesn't take out Walker (not sure if that was fined), we perhaps don't win that NE game back in 08.
I think it's stupid. This defense takes a lot of stupid penalties.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Point taken on the multiple fouls required to be tossed. Could have easily been a personal foul but not an ejection. Not sure you what's up with the quotation marks on "spearing". I guess I could have written out "leading with the crown of the helmet". On your second point I am responding to those saying it was a clean hit.

Spearing was in quotation marks because it's not an NFL term or penalty.