• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Draft Grades

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Again the draft they did gambles heavily that the many gems they took are going to pan out... save for the top two picks and the olb in the sixth, all thecrest were probably slight reaches for fit over talent and experience... each could be a steal or a total bust... honestly it isn’t a bad strategy when you have to fill as much depth long term as they did... if two of the 4 th or lower picks turn into good starters then the capital they spent at RB and TE is offset and they have a great path forward

they need to hit on both olinemen and one lb and db for this to be an absolutely great draft...

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice post Buckeye. Green is as athletic as they come at that position. I think his alpha dog attitude is what impressed the Steelers the most, along with his athleticism. While Steeltime makes some legit points, I think what factored into the 2nd round pick was that Freiermuth was heads and tails above any other TE out there, while the gap between Humphrey, Green and other C's was narrower. Simply, there was a bit more depth at C that the Steelers felt good enough they'd be able to get one in the 3rd, which allowed them to grab Freiermuth in the 2nd. Turns out they were right, thank God.

I agree here on this and why not? The STEELERS came in with and executed a vwry good stratagy in this draft overall. The couple players drawing mouth gap are the TE and Loudermilk. I think here as Tibs explained it the reason he was taken when he was taken. Now for Loudermilk, I think TJ WATT alerted them initially and kept them in the loop on Loudermilk as he was acending the college career. The STEELERS saw somethng we may not and drafted him, I'm hoping they did a good here as well.

Time will tell and once in awhile you have to trust the team knows more than you or I. (speaking in general and not naming anyone specifically but me as hard as it is to fathum me actually not knowing everything)

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Thought you were talking about Green, who took third place in the Illinois State High School Wrestling Championships, had the fastest 40 time and the quickest 10 yard split of any draft eligible interior lineman who participated in a pro day, and squats over 700 lbs. OH! And Green posted better numbers in the vertical and broad jump than Humphrey. I'd say the 10 yd split, vertical and broad jump numbers point to the kid having explosive quickness. Humphrey did have a better bench than Green (29 reps v 25 reps) but, that's almost a negligible difference.
I mean, we'll see what Green has, but as far as measurables go, the kid isn't some stiff lagging behind Creed.
I was going to post something similar but you covered the bases in good detail. The only thing that I take from the two after zeroing in is Creed is more start ready. Both should end up being solid starters. Which is why I wanted Creed part of the reason at least. For his start capable abilities early out of the gates as well as his wrestling background, etc. But Green has just as much upside if not more. I don't see Green starting out if the gates. But that is no knock on what I believe he is capable of. I see why the Steelers took him and it taught me a lesson in the process. Which is don't forget about guards when evaluating centers.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
I think here as Tibs explained it the reason he was taken when he was taken.

I saw this blurb on another site, and it perfectly sums up the Freiermuth pick for me.

After witnessing Eric Ebron finesse his way through blocking assignments and drop too many passes, the sure-handedness of Freiermuth, as well as his versatility and in-line blocking ability, will give this offense more creativity and less predictability of playcalling.