• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Don't hate Goodell, blame the owners

P

POP

You know, there is a ton of hate for Roger, in here, and seemingly everywhere (I hear boos where ever he goes - at the draft, at stadiums.)

But the anger is misplaced. He has bosses, and they are the NFL owners. They pay him $34 MILLION a year. $34 million.

If you think, for one second, that everything Roger has done, isn't 100% in accordance with the owners' wishes, you crazy.

Of course, the owners are thrilled that the fans take out anger on Roger, instead of realizing that it is the owners' agenda he is running.

I had a boss who did this. When he would do things some customers were pissed about, he'd blame the VP and say his ambition was so high, that he couldn't stop him, while, of course, every move was directly from the owner. He would just lie.

If you were being paid $34 million to satisfy your boss, you would surely make sure you were purely acting exactly how they wanted you to. Rich people are otten nasty. I believe they view a lot of players as the enemy and want to rub their heads
in the dirt. The seemingly cold and harsh treatment by Roger is 100% desired by the owners, or Roger wouldn't be doing it. And you don't keep paying a man $34 million because he is not running the ship exactly as they want.

I am not saying Redger makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I see him, but at least I know the agenda is directly from the owners, not Roger.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
I can't see the owners happy with Gödel who has made all the off field stuff more than the game on the field. Gödel is slowly alienating the fans with his trying to BS them in they matter when he shows differently. Just look at the HOF game, cancelled, or how the NFL supports ticket agencies where you pay twice or more for tickets. You have players hinting save your money a strike may take place because of the lack of respect for Gödel. Even the coaches try in their own way of not agreeing with all the rule changes under Gödel. The only thing owners care about is the money made, Gödel COULD interrupt the flow if the players walk out.

strat68

Reaction score
You know, there is a ton of hate for Roger, in here, and seemingly everywhere (I hear boos where ever he goes - at the draft, at stadiums.)

But the anger is misplaced. He has bosses, and they are the NFL owners. They pay him $34 MILLION a year. $34 million.

If you think, for one second, that everything Roger has done, isn't 100% in accordance with the owners' wishes, you crazy.

Of course, the owners are thrilled that the fans take out anger on Roger, instead of realizing that it is the owners' agenda he is running.

I had a boss who did this. When he would do things some customers were pissed about, he'd blame the VP and say his ambition was so high, that he couldn't stop him, while, of course, every move was directly from the owner. He would just lie.

If you were being paid $34 million to satisfy your boss, you would surely make sure you were purely acting exactly how they wanted you to. Rich people are otten nasty. I believe they view a lot of players as the enemy and want to rub their heads
in the dirt. The seemingly cold and harsh treatment by Roger is 100% desired by the owners, or Roger wouldn't be doing it. And you don't keep paying a man $34 million because he is not running the ship exactly as they want.

I am not saying Redger makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I see him, but at least I know the agenda is directly from the owners, not Roger.

Thank you. That's what I keep telling people that hate on Roger. He is just a flunky for the owners. Even the Rooneys.

P

POP

I can't see the owners happy with Gödel who has made all the off field stuff more than the game on the field. Gödel is slowly alienating the fans with his trying to BS them in they matter when he shows differently. Just look at the HOF game, cancelled, or how the NFL supports ticket agencies where you pay twice or more for tickets. You have players hinting save your money a strike may take place because of the lack of respect for Gödel. Even the coaches try in their own way of not agreeing with all the rule changes under Gödel. The only thing owners care about is the money made, Gödel COULD interrupt the flow if the players walk out.

Again, he is doing what his bosses tell him to do. It's not his agenda.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, the Steelers love him since they didn't vote for his autonomy, and had the first suspension for a crime that wasn't convicted, and for a guy who was tackling too hard.

Saints love him for suspending their coaching staff for a year.

And his best friends in New England can't say enough great things about Brady's suspension and the investigation it took to get him a 4 game vacation.

I'd say he's losing favor with ownership every year, and Kraft has a **** ton of clout. If Kraft wants Godell out, he's gone in a few years, after rallying enough owners to his side.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, the Steelers love him since they didn't vote for his autonomy, and had the first suspension for a crime that wasn't convicted, and for a guy who was tackling too hard.

Saints love him for suspending their coaching staff for a year.

And his best friends in New England can't say enough great things about Brady's suspension and the investigation it took to get him a 4 game vacation.

I'd say he's losing favor with ownership every year, and Kraft has a **** ton of clout. If Kraft wants Godell out, he's gone in a few years, after rallying enough owners to his side.

I've been saying it for years, it's the owners employee. You may be right about kr*ft falling out of favor with the "rog", but I think the other owners have pressured the "rog" to apply some justice for the Billicheat life of cheating. Oh, and did I say it and no one heard me,..........
F-U-C-K the CHEATRIOTS

Salute the nation

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Have to agree with PoP on this one too. The NFL is purely entertainment drivel at this point. The owners understand high scoring offenses and razzle dazzle players sell tickets. The game got too big for it's own sake. There are players who play the game for what it is, but there are those who only collect a paycheck. As an owner, yeah you'd figure if your team wins you'll sell more tickets. But 32 Billionaires, I'm sure they all can give a **** about us fans or players. *sigh* I like old football

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been saying it for years, it's the owners employee. You may be right about kr*ft falling out of favor with the "rog", but I think the other owners have pressured the "rog" to apply some justice for the Billicheat life of cheating. Oh, and did I say it and no one heard me,..........
F-U-C-K the CHEATRIOTS

Salute the nation

we need our like buttons back lol

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Have to agree with PoP on this one too. The NFL is purely entertainment drivel at this point. The owners understand high scoring offenses and razzle dazzle players sell tickets. The game got too big for it's own sake. There are players who play the game for what it is, but there are those who only collect a paycheck. As an owner, yeah you'd figure if your team wins you'll sell more tickets. But 32 Billionaires, I'm sure they all can give a **** about us fans or players. *sigh* I like old football

Goodell's arrogance and power have grown through the years.

He's a don't you dare question me type, who's all about profits.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Goodell's arrogance and power have grown through the years.

He's a don't you dare question me type, who's all about profits.

EXACTLY, the "owner's" E-M-P-L-O-Y-E-E, WHAT BETTER WAY TO HAVE IT, if your an owner???

Salute the nation

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Have to agree with PoP on this one too. The NFL is purely entertainment drivel at this point. The owners understand high scoring offenses and razzle dazzle players sell tickets.The game got too big for it's own sake. There are players who play the game for what it is, but there are those who only collect a paycheck. As an owner, yeah you'd figure if your team wins you'll sell more tickets. But 32 Billionaires, I'm sure they all can give a **** about us fans or players. *sigh* I like old football

On the bolded part, the owners are merely giving the dumbed down, short attention spanned, fantasy football addicted fans what they want.

I'm not a fan of soccer, but I give the Europeans credit in that they love their primary sport, offense, defense and all.

One does not see them complaining about all the 1-0 or 1-1 final scores. They love the sport for the competition, not cheap thrills.

As for Goodell, he's paid like he is to merely impose the will of the owners AND take all the heat for it. For public relations purposes, it's better business for the likes of Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, Daniel Snyder and Art 2 to have all the boos that should be directed at them directed at their man *****.

I do not hate the Goodell like many do, as he's just doing the job he's paid extremely well to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTC

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Goodell is the employee of all the collective owners, and his number one job is to make sure the league makes money, which he has successfully continued after his predecessor Tags. However, he is losing support from the majority owners because his draconian ideals about "tarnishing the Shield". Yes there are players and some coaches and even owners (Haslam, Kraft, Kronke) who have given the league a black mark, but Goodel's inconsistent actions from those incidents have hurt the shield more than anything else. Having final say on pretty much everything fueled his ego until transparency was demanded by some of the owners because in the public's perception of the league. Yeah, some of the old guard owners felt Goodel's relationship with Kraft was too close and the Spygate ordeal mishandled because of it, hence the handling of Deflate Gate. However, I blame the players union as well, they are the ones (except the Steeler players) who wanted those fat checks and signed off on Roger's power in the CBA. They have no one to blame but themselves and their union chief. Gene Upshaw would have never allowed it. Not many folks have talked about the released report of core owners agreeing that the next CBA would include decreasing some of the commissioner's power in discipline. However, some concessions from the players would be required.....18 games maybe, or laxing Mary Jane testing even more than it is.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep.

Roger Dodger is making them money. The only thing that will make the owners see the light is when Ole Rog does enough dmage to the product that people stop watching on TV, attendance at games drops and people stop buying merch. Thats a few years off now but we are heading that way.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
They're only a few more stupid rules away from being flag football.It's ******* sad. The product is way over regulated kinda like our federal government.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
He may be executing the direction of the owners in many cases, but Mein Führer can still go straight to hell with his disciplinary overreaching and obsession with punishment. It looks ridiculous. And isn't it about time to let the marijuana thing rest? It's only a matter of time until it's legal across the country, and it's not a performance enhancer. I truly believe the owners could not give a flying **** about weed.

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
image.png

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Goodell is the owner's mouthpiece in the public view. He does NOTHING the owners do not want him to do.

Steelin

Contributor
Reaction score
I can't believe that they pay him that much to be a total jerk.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Yep.

Roger Dodger is making them money. The only thing that will make the owners see the light is when Ole Rog does enough dmage to the product that people stop watching on TV, attendance at games drops and people stop buying merch. Thats a few years off now but we are heading that way.

Rog's main job lately is protecting the owners and the league from head injury lawsuits. As long as he is doing that well, he has a job.