• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Diggs to Texans

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
you are hilarious

it would take at least 2 1st rounders and the next son born to a Rooney

I see that you “wintering” at coooch’s house has got you thinking like him as well………………

Salute the nation

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I think it is a great trade for them. Gives their young QB a top target in the league. Other holes can now be filled thru the draft. To be honest I have no idea what those holes our. They did a good job kicking our ***** last season.

Eagles traded for AJ Brown and it worked because that team was fully built. They just needed that last piece of a big physical WR.

The Dolphins traded for Tyreek Hill and so far it has not worked. Sure, it makes them exciting, but the team still has holes and their QB has a pop gun arm that holds back the vertical elements of the offense.

I just realized this was for a 2025 2nd rounder which is an extra pick Houston has, so that makes the draft cost almost nothing, but it's still likely going to cost them a big contract. Houston already has Nico Collins and Tank Dell. They have Robert Woods and Noah Brown as depth. Brown had 500 yards last year.

Obviously Diggs is an upgrade but does he cause a seismic shift in the offense? I think they may have better spent this money elsewhere.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tape, I think the real issue is that Diggs is not going to be the #1 WR for the first time in forever. Collins remains the #1, and Dell will push Diggs for #2 receptions. When Diggs gets 3 targets, which is going to happen, watch out.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
yes

there are videos out there of him looking as quick as ever

Our Austin3 was suppose to be very impactful, hasn’t showed much in his time here. Maybe the X-OC didn’t use him very well, but sure as hellA, Tank Dell took the league by storm.

Looking forward to hearing more of them more this up coming season.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Meh......I will disagree. I wouldn't have traded Pickett unless we got more. If no one offered more than ....to bad Pickett. We got you for 2 more years. The last few years lesser WRs have drawn a 1st draft pick. We got a average to below average CB and a late pick for our #1 WR. I didn't have an issue with moving Johnson....just seems our return could have been
So what they got for Pickett is kinda my point. You never get much if the player wants out. And there is no way to hide that when you are calling to trade a 1st round guy whose played 25 games. I'm not talking about if they should have traded him. I'm saying they got decent compensation for him. Considering. No chance in hell you are getting a 1st for Johnson. He's cracked a 1000 yards once in 5 years and scores an average of 5tds per season. I think it would he fair to expect anyone taken in the first round this year to do similar and super cheap for 4 years.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
So what they got for Pickett is kinda my point. You never get much if the player wants out. And there is no way to hide that when you are calling to trade a 1st round guy whose played 25 games. I'm not talking about if they should have traded him. I'm saying they got decent compensation for him. Considering. No chance in hell you are getting a 1st for Johnson. He's cracked a 1000 yards once in 5 years and scores an average of 5tds per season. I think it would he fair to expect anyone taken in the first round this year to do similar and super cheap for 4 years.
Pickett was known trash, not gonna get much for known trash. I heard 1 talking head selling that a QB who had a terrible 1st year usually ends up sucking. Well, Kenny had a terrible 1st TWO years. Oh sure, he had the worst OC in the history of the NFL coaching and there are exceptions to the rule (i.e. Manning, Elways, Bradshaw) but it's still a valid point.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Our Austin3 was suppose to be very impactful, hasn’t showed much in his time here. Maybe the X-OC didn’t use him very well, but sure as hellA, Tank Dell took the league by storm.

Looking forward to hearing more of them more this up coming season.

Salute the nation
CA3 is a gamer. Canada is a ******* idiot.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I get what they were going for, I'm not sure I would've taken this approach. The mold for young QBs was giving up a premium to add a young stud WR. The Eagles got AJ Brown, Dolphins Tyreek Hill, Bills Stefon Diggs, just off the top of my head. Trading a high pick for a 30-year old, eh. I guess he may have been the only receiver on the market worth getting, I just think you want a younger WR who the young QB could grow with.
Been reported Texans ripped up the tail end of the contract added money to the here and now and now Diggs will be performing for a free agent contract come 2025.

Glad the Steelers didn't go this route...

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Pickett was known trash, not gonna get much for known trash. I heard 1 talking head selling that a QB who had a terrible 1st year usually ends up sucking. Well, Kenny had a terrible 1st TWO years. Oh sure, he had the worst OC in the history of the NFL coaching and there are exceptions to the rule (i.e. Manning, Elways, Bradshaw) but it's still a valid point.
If this trade was other way around everyone would say we don't know what he is because of the offense which to me is true. People were excited a Mitch Trubisky and rightfully so. His play was horrendous in this offense. He looked way better in Chicago and will in Buffalo again.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Tape, I think the real issue is that Diggs is not going to be the #1 WR for the first time in forever. Collins remains the #1, and Dell will push Diggs for #2 receptions. When Diggs gets 3 targets, which is going to happen, watch out.

Yeah, Buffalo is close to a contender and they didn't want to deal with Diggs. Now that Houston pretty much voided his remaining contract, Diggs is playing for a contract. He will absolutely be complaining if he doesn't get enough touches. Now you have a young QB trying to make the right reads and maybe now he's forcing it to Diggs to keep him happy.

This looks like a 1 year rental of a potential diva. This is the move of a team that thinks they can win the SB this year. Is that Houston? I doubt it.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Tomlin stated Johnson didn't ask to be traded.

Tomlin says a lot of things.

If DJ didn't want out, it seemed pretty foolish to trade him. If they were planning to bring someone like Russell Wilson in, one would think they'd want to surround him with as many weapons as possible.

Seems like DJ might have been another in a long line of "hostage" situations under Tomlin, following the likes of Blount, Harrison, Ingram and Dotson.

There's virtually nothing behind Pickens at WR right now, and it seems like they were counting on being able to bring in a comparable talent to DJ through trade or free agency. They still might, but those wells are running dry pretty rapidly.

Depending on a significant contribution from a rookie is always a big risk.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Can’t argue the first round guy as Pickett was taken in the first round.

Now first round talent could be argued. Pickett is gone and the return on him was palatable to the degree of talent he exhibited. End of story.

Lookiong forward to see what our two NEW QBs bring to the table. I’m more excited about Fields and hopefully a little QB guru-ism takes place in his favor.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Can’t argue the first round guy as Pickett was taken in the first round.

Now first round talent could be argued. Pickett is gone and the return on him was palatable to the degree of talent he exhibited. End of story.

Lookiong forward to see what our two NEW QBs bring to the table. I’m more excited about Fields and hopefully a little QB guru-ism takes place in his favor.

Salute the nation
I'd continue to argue you don't know how much talent Pickett has. I'd say it's about 60-40 the haters are correct. But I hate Mike Tomlin as coach of this football team and that seems to matter for nothing.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd continue to argue you don't know how much talent Pickett has. I'd say it's about 60-40 the haters are correct. But I hate Mike Tomlin as coach of this football team and that seems to matter for nothing.

I understand that we ONLY saw Pickett play under the Tomlin regime. I want Tomlin gone, no question about that.

I don’t categorize “haters” or “lovers” as I can see Pickett just wasn’t getting it done. It played out as it did and I’m moving on To see what our team can provide this up coming season.

Tomlin is not a QB guru, he has never had to develop one and we can see that aspect is way over his head. In fact, he fought is gifted to him, HOF QB to the end, instead of filling a team up with strengths, he saddled him with bullshit everything from crappy OL to not being able to call audibles……….

Yet he is considered the greatest coach ever, never a losing season, **** that…………..

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I understand that we ONLY saw Pickett play under the Tomlin regime. I want Tomlin gone, no question about that.

I don’t categorize “haters” or “lovers” as I can see Pickett just wasn’t getting it done. It played out as it did and I’m moving on To see what our team can provide this up coming season.

Tomlin is not a QB guru, he has never had to develop one and we can see that aspect is way over his head. In fact, he fought is gifted to him, HOF QB to the end, instead of filling a team up with strengths, he saddled him with bullshit everything from crappy OL to not being able to call audibles……….

Yet he is considered the greatest coach ever, never a losing season, **** that…………..

Salute the nation
Tomlin is the bottom line. But more accurately I'd say a HOF qb looked terrible in the first half of all but a few games. Trubisky struggled throughout. Pickett as well. And Rudolph looked good with replacement OC. I'm saying you stick Mahomes in with that setup he us still good but he's not winning a playoff game. The Route concepts were a joke and plays inside the ten were laughable.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The things I keep coming back to. You see good offensive teams have guys two or three yards open by play concept and detail. Then you listened to the backup tight end for GB who was with Steelers for a bit. He was like there is no level of detail to that offense. Play says you run a five yard speed out....do it.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Yeah, Buffalo is close to a contender and they didn't want to deal with Diggs. Now that Houston pretty much voided his remaining contract, Diggs is playing for a contract. He will absolutely be complaining if he doesn't get enough touches. Now you have a young QB trying to make the right reads and maybe now he's forcing it to Diggs to keep him happy.

This looks like a 1 year rental of a potential diva. This is the move of a team that thinks they can win the SB this year. Is that Houston? I doubt it.
I wouldn't be shocked if Bills get over the hump this year having ditched that immature diva b---h.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked if Bills get over the hump this year having ditched that immature diva b---h.
I think their window is closing. You get about a 4 year run. Max. If the Q is really good you get a second run when the rest of the league catches up to his price.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
I think their window is closing. You get about a 4 year run. Max. If the Q is really good you get a second run when the rest of the league catches up to his price.
There was something really wrong with the Bills the last few years; appearing like a Tomlin-coached team with players running roughshod being totally out-of-control, via AB, Bell, etc.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Side note. I took Stroud in the last round in 2(maybe 3 buster?) Keeper leagues. I will get him in the 16th round. Winning!

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
I generally agree with this take. Allen could be one of those QBs with a 2nd act. It's possible. They found their running game last year which led to their winning streak by late season and dominating wins like vs. Dallas. They handled us with ease in the playoffs and only lost to KC by 3.