• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Defensive coach

black and gold apex

Reaction score
With all the movement you are seeing on defensive coaches anyone surprised we did no go after fresh face? Where are we ahead by hiring one so familiar with the players and Dick;s schemes . Are we getting the true story on LeBeau's stepping down?

Supersteeler

Reaction score
No. I think it has been assumed that Butler was getting the job for like the last 7 years. If I understand correctly they pretty much told him so when they gave him a raise to stay on staff.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
From what I've read, Butler was on his way out (contract was up) unless he got the DC job. Steelers approached LeBeau with a senior consultant role so Butler could be DC and LeBeau declined.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
From what I've read, Butler was on his way out (contract was up) unless he got the DC job. Steelers approached LeBeau with a senior consultant role so Butler could be DC and LeBeau declined.

And then he took a consultant job with the Cards? He must not have been happy with that ultimatum.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
And then he took a consultant job with the Cards? He must not have been happy with that ultimatum.

Call it what you want, but in my eyes, he was fired from his job. I can't blame him for not wanting to stay in that situation, plus he probably has a great deal of respect and felt it better for him to manage the defense on his own.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Both coache's contracts were up. LeBeau was not fired. To be fired he would have to be under contract. We had to decided wether to keep Butler or let him go. Let him go and the LeBeau retires next year, then we would have to find someone else from outside the organization and thats clearly not what the management wants to do at this time.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Both coache's contracts were up. LeBeau was not fired. To be fired he would have to be under contract. We had to decided wether to keep Butler or let him go. Let him go and the LeBeau retires next year, then we would have to find someone else from outside the organization and thats clearly not what the management wants to do at this time.

Semantics. LeBeau wanted to come back as DC and the Steelers didn't want him back in that role.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh Bullshit.

Geez. You just HAVE to manufacture drama. Lebeau had the decency and the class to see that Butler had served his time and that it was the right thing to give him his shot at the DC position. For God's sake, he'd been waiting for it for like 6 or 7 years. If Lebeau had taken a DC job somewhere else your theory might hold water but he didn't.

Imagine for JUST a moment that Lebeau walked in to the office and said, "you know fellas, it's time for Kevin to take over the reins. I'm ready to move on."

That's probably about 90% what happened.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh Bullshit.

Geez. You just HAVE to manufacture drama. Lebeau had the decency and the class to see that Butler had served his time and that it was the right thing to give him his shot at the DC position. For God's sake, he'd been waiting for it for like 6 or 7 years. If Lebeau had taken a DC job somewhere else your theory might hold water but he didn't.

Imagine for JUST a moment that Lebeau walked in to the office and said, "you know fellas, it's time for Kevin to take over the reins. I'm ready to move on."

I personally think it was more of Art2/Tomlin decision as not wanting to lose Butler. I think LeBeau turned down the "consultant" role because he knows having the old boss hovering around, whom many players have unwaivering loyalty to, wouldnt be a productive enviroment for any of them.