• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Defense

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
They did make the Bengals kick a field goal. Right after Ben fumbled the snap on his own 20 yard line. Remember?

Then they gave up the two touchdowns after only having to move the ball 38 and 26 yards, thanks to Ben getting JuJu lit up on a hopeless 3rd down pass, and a Ben interception.

See a theme there?
The same Bengal offense that scored under 10 points in 4 of the previous 4 games, there's no arguing in defense of our offense it was trash, they should still hold them to a FG

Sent from my SM-A515U using Steeler Nation mobile app

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Defense is one of, if not the best defense in the nfl, the offense is one if the worst. Hold that **** Bengal O to FGs
And the Offense is allowed to hold onto the ball and not throw seeing eye INTs. If they had actually performed semi-competently, the defense wouldn't have been in a position to give up two TDs. Also, you think I'm saying the Defense was physically tired from just this game? The Offense has been so damned incompetent for 4 to 5 games that the Defense has been trying to carry the team. Yeah, they were tired in the first half. Tired from trying to pull their weight and part of the Offense's too.

Y'all keep trying this red herring crap like folks are talking about one half. We're talking about weeks worth of accumulation of picking up extra slack because the Offense is **** right now. THAT kind of effort takes a toll; physically and mentally.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
The same Bengal offense that scored under 10 points in 4 of the previous 4 games, there's no arguing in defense of our offense it was trash, they should still hold them to a FG

Gee, Tom, was that same Bengal offense set up inside their opponents' 39 yard line 4 separate times by the other team's offense in any or all of those previous 4 games?

And it's no surprise you didn't see (or simply refused to see) the theme. lol

6Lombardis

Reaction score
I believe during our win streak, our offense led the league in time of possession. I could be wrong. That helped the defense look better, complementary football.

mdk2

Reaction score
And the Offense is allowed to hold onto the ball and not throw seeing eye INTs. If they had actually performed semi-competently, the defense wouldn't have been in a position to give up two TDs. Also, you think I'm saying the Defense was physically tired from just this game? The Offense has been so damned incompetent for 4 to 5 games that the Defense has been trying to carry the team. Yeah, they were tired in the first half. Tired from trying to pull their weight and part of the Offense's too.

Y'all keep trying this red herring crap like folks are talking about one half. We're talking about weeks worth of accumulation of picking up extra slack because the Offense is **** right now. THAT kind of effort takes a toll; physically and mentally

So if the defense starts playing well again and they force turnovers, it'll be because they're suddenly well rested but if they give up big drives for TDs and force no turnovers, it's the offenses fault for making them tired?

With the weeks and weeks taking a toll now, we shouldn't expect them to play great again this year then, right?

mdk2

Reaction score
The defense forcing one turnover in any of these losses could swing the game big time. Much like everyone wants to point to Ben's pick 6 vs Buffalo as a changing point.

The defense needs to start taking more chances and playing aggressive. Also, move TJ to the blindside once in a while to see if he can get sack fumbles. That of course is coaching.. they never change much,

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
I dont care, if you're an elite defense you hold them to FGs, thats the theme.
Gee, Tom, was that same Bengal offense set up inside their opponents' 39 yard line 4 separate times by the other team's offense in any or all of those previous 4 games?

And it's no surprise you didn't see (or simply refused to see) the theme. lol

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Bengals had the ball 4 minutes longer than us and Washington had the ball a minute longer.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
So if the defense starts playing well again and they force turnovers, it'll be because they're suddenly well rested but if they give up big drives for TDs and force no turnovers, it's the offenses fault for making them tired?

With the weeks and weeks taking a toll now, we shouldn't expect them to play great again this year then, right?

No, if the Defense starts playing well again, it will be in part because the Offense (mostly Ben) quits turning the damn ball over and putting them in ****** positions. It amazes me the extent to which some of y'all will go not to admit that Ben is fallible and he has been ******* up. But, the fact is Ben has been ******* up and it's been costing us games.
You want a Defense that is down to it's 4th and 5th string MLBs to play like it's still chock full of first stringers. Never mind the fact that Haden and Nelson missed time in 2 of the 3 losses. So, down at least one starting CB in those games. OH, and Bud's been gone for the three losses too. They've done good (not great) in attempting to overcome those losses. But it sure as hell doesn't help when Ben is out there trying turning the ball over with fumbles, INTs and pick 6's, the receivers are dropping the damn ball like it's on fire and the OC refuses to even try to run the damn ball.

Defend Ben all you want. We all know that those games turned on his turnovers (and, in the first two losses, the WR/TE drops).

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
The defense forcing one turnover in any of these losses could swing the game big time. Much like everyone wants to point to Ben's pick 6 vs Buffalo as a changing point.

The defense needs to start taking more chances and playing aggressive. Also, move TJ to the blindside once in a while to see if he can get sack fumbles. That of course is coaching.. they never change much,

Ben not throwing pick 6's, fumbling a routine snap and/or throwing other INTs in any of those losses could swing the game big time. Ben needs to quit screwing up. Big of him to admit it. But admitting it after the fact doesn't change the outcome.

mdk2

Reaction score
No, if the Defense starts playing well again, it will be in part because the Offense (mostly Ben) quits turning the damn ball over and putting them in ****** positions. It amazes me the extent to which some of y'all will go not to admit that Ben is fallible and he has been ******* up. But, the fact is Ben has been ******* up and it's been costing us games.
You want a Defense that is down to it's 4th and 5th string MLBs to play like it's still chock full of first stringers. Never mind the fact that Haden and Nelson missed time in 2 of the 3 losses. So, down at least one starting CB in those games. OH, and Bud's been gone for the three losses too. They've done good (not great) in attempting to overcome those losses. But it sure as hell doesn't help when Ben is out there trying turning the ball over with fumbles, INTs and pick 6's, the receivers are dropping the damn ball like it's on fire and the OC refuses to even try to run the damn ball.

Defend Ben all you want. We all know that those games turned on his turnovers (and, in the first two losses, the WR/TE drops).

Where was I defending Ben of poor play or anyone on the offense for that matter. The OL is garbage, Ben hasn't played well, the WRs are overrated, OC is atrocious. That being said, Ben didn't lose us the Redskins game, he had a tip pass INT on the last drive but it shouldn't have come down to that. Logan Thomas and Mckissic torched the defense all 2nd half, they were well rested too.

You're so overly defensive of this defense. They can share some of the blame for these 3 straight losses. The offense hasn't been completely healthy all year either, OL guys going in and out, Connor never plays but no excuses.

mdk2

Reaction score
Ben not throwing pick 6's, fumbling a routine snap and/or throwing other INTs in any of those losses could swing the game big time. Ben needs to quit screwing up. Big of him to admit it. But admitting it after the fact doesn't change the outcome.

Sure, he also needs help on the offensive side of the ball. A little help from the defense with a turnover wouldn't hurt either.

It's big of Cam Heyward to admit they can't stop the run time and time again this year too but that doesn't change too much either..

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Where was I defending Ben of poor play or anyone on the offense for that matter. The OL is garbage, Ben hasn't played well, the WRs are overrated, OC is atrocious. That being said, Ben didn't lose us the Redskins game, he had a tip pass INT on the last drive but it shouldn't have come down to that. Logan Thomas and Mckissic torched the defense all 2nd half, they were well rested too.

You're so overly defensive of this defense. They can share some of the blame for these 3 straight losses. The offense hasn't been completely healthy all year either, OL guys going in and out, Connor never plays but no excuses.

Nope, not defensive of the Defense. They can play better. But I see the Offense as the major flaw to this team right now. You are right in that it takes complementary football to win games. The Defense could help the Offense out a little more. And, it's not being unreasonable to ask it to do so. Maybe I'm being irrational in asking the Offense to help the Defense out... because at this point, I don't think they are capable of doing so.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Nope, not defensive of the Defense. They can play better. But I see the Offense as the major flaw to this team right now. You are right in that it takes complementary football to win games. The Defense could help the Offense out a little more. And, it's not being unreasonable to ask it to do so. Maybe I'm being irrational in asking the Offense to help the Defense out... because at this point, I don't think they are capable of doing so.

I am defensive of this defense... steelers fans are absurdly unrealistic about defense and always have been...

The Bengals had one drive all game long... one sigle 80 yard drive.... everything else was short field bullshit... two of their td's were 38 and 26 yards... their two field goals were on "drives" of 4 yards and 9 yards.... the defense wasnt even a little to blame here... not at all

this offense is absurdly bad.... read the article here :https://www.steelernation.com/steelers-first-offensive-possession-woes-date-back-to-2018/

let me expand on this.... in the FIRST QUARTER in 14 games this year the steelers have scored 64 points... 21 of them off of defensive touchdowns.... the 43 points the offense has scored would be good for 29th in the league in 1st quarter scoring.... the exact same as it was last year.... the defense is number 1 in first quarter points allowed... they have given up 49 points all season ...... we should be playing from ahead every damn game

exactly once all season has this offense scored more than once in the first quarter... 2 field goals and one td ve the bengals the first game.... thats it.... however, in the last 8 games that is the only points the damn offense has scored in the first quarter........... 13 points in the same game.... thats PATHETIC

its not Ben, Its not the wideouts, its not the OLine suddenly forgetting how to play... its not all the RBS being bums....
Fitchner took over in 2018.... he ran haleys offense for a year then installed more of his own... by the end of 2018 we couldnt run anymore and experienced the worse collapse down the stretch by any steelers team. Last year we had the single most pathetic offense of the modern era and were told it was all the young QBs fault....

THe ONLY THING that has changed this year is that Ben has had more 4th quarter comebacks to save our *****... thats it...

Dont go blaming the D for second half collapses either cause they are top 6 in both second half and fourth quarter points scored.... they are doing their jobs despite a ton of injuries...

The offense is a predictable, irrational mess. Those bengals sat on every single route and we threw two wrinkles all game at them.. it was absurd and people should be fired

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I am defensive of this defense... steelers fans are absurdly unrealistic about defense and always have been...

The Bengals had one drive all game long... one sigle 80 yard drive.... everything else was short field bullshit... two of their td's were 38 and 26 yards... their two field goals were on "drives" of 4 yards and 9 yards.... the defense wasnt even a little to blame here... not at all

this offense is absurdly bad.... read the article here :https://www.steelernation.com/steelers-first-offensive-possession-woes-date-back-to-2018/

let me expand on this.... in the FIRST QUARTER in 14 games this year the steelers have scored 64 points... 21 of them off of defensive touchdowns.... the 43 points the offense has scored would be good for 29th in the league in 1st quarter scoring.... the exact same as it was last year.... the defense is number 1 in first quarter points allowed... they have given up 49 points all season ...... we should be playing from ahead every damn game

exactly once all season has this offense scored more than once in the first quarter... 2 field goals and one td ve the bengals the first game.... thats it.... however, in the last 8 games that is the only points the damn offense has scored in the first quarter........... 13 points in the same game.... thats PATHETIC

its not Ben, Its not the wideouts, its not the OLine suddenly forgetting how to play... its not all the RBS being bums....
Fitchner took over in 2018.... he ran haleys offense for a year then installed more of his own... by the end of 2018 we couldnt run anymore and experienced the worse collapse down the stretch by any steelers team. Last year we had the single most pathetic offense of the modern era and were told it was all the young QBs fault....

THe ONLY THING that has changed this year is that Ben has had more 4th quarter comebacks to save our *****... thats it...

Dont go blaming the D for second half collapses either cause they are top 6 in both second half and fourth quarter points scored.... they are doing their jobs despite a ton of injuries...

The offense is a predictable, irrational mess. Those bengals sat on every single route and we threw two wrinkles all game at them.. it was absurd and people should be fired

Here, Here! Amen!

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
other than the utter failure on the ******* rushing TD by their ******* qb, there is not a hell of a lot to ***** about the defense

especially given the fact that Dupree, Bush, Spillane and Williams were all out of the game

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Losing some of the guys who get their names called on big plays by the defense to injury this year has really hurt. However, I NEVER hear them call Edmunds name for big plays. Is it good or bad to be a safety who goes un noticed? Guess I got spoiled by Polamalu.
I would submit that Troy Polamalu played most of his career coached by Dick Lebeau. Had he been coached by Mike Tomlin and Keith Butler he would have still been a very good player but no way a Hall of Fame player. Their defense centre's around the safety preventing the big play. Polamalu was used more like a hybrid linebacker. The player being used like Polamalu in the NFL today is Jamal Adams in Seattle. Complete game changer. Now when the Steelers had Dupree and Watt pinching the pocket you could play safe. If you want to look who is that guy for the Steelers right now its Mike Hilton. But I submit that what they should do is Bring Sutton in for Hilton and let Edmunds and sometimes Fitzpatrick play that blitz/run stuff role. But here is 100% problem with Tomlin. He does not believe in changing what they are according to the opponent. They will always be what they are. Even if injuries change what you can possibly do.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
other than the utter failure on the ******* rushing TD by their ******* qb, there is not a hell of a lot to ***** about the defense

especially given the fact that Dupree, Bush, Spillane and Williams were all out of the game

I had money on a close game 3 points either way between KC and Miami. KC came out like utter ***. Mahomes gave up a 30 some yard sack and a pick and I believe they fumbled. The max they were down was 7. The Steelers held the first turnover to a field goal and got cashed on the other two by a third string QB. Then they gave up a TD drive that was one comical error after another. Then they gave up a clock killing first down without even a ****** pass attempt.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score

Why do you keep insisting over and over that the defense hasn't forced any turnovers, when Buffalo threw an interception and fumbled 3 times, one of which was recovered by the Steelers?

Zack_of_Steel

Reaction score
One thing I'm absolutely sick of is seeing TJ on the sidelines during important 3rd downs and Red Zone plays. We rotate players for a series like a ******* HS team with no consideration for situation or THE ******* GAME BEING ON THE LINE. There have been numerous big 3rd Down conversions and TDs where I was fuming prior to the snap seeing TJ chilling on the sideline.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
One thing I'm absolutely sick of is seeing TJ on the sidelines during important 3rd downs and Red Zone plays. We rotate players for a series like a ******* HS team with no consideration for situation or THE ******* GAME BEING ON THE LINE. There have been numerous big 3rd Down conversions and TDs where I was fuming prior to the snap seeing TJ chilling on the sideline.

As has been mentioned before, TJ let's them know when he needs a break. Not the other way around. So, if TJ isn't on the field, it's a good bet that he's asked for a small break. And an even better bet that he needs the break.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Thats true, but I've seen him on the sidelines to start a possession, one of the guys that covers the team, says thats part of the "rotation" they're doing
As has been mentioned before, TJ let's them know when he needs a break. Not the other way around. So, if TJ isn't on the field, it's a good bet that he's asked for a small break. And an even better bet that he needs the break.

Zack_of_Steel

Reaction score
Thats true, but I've seen him on the sidelines to start a possession, one of the guys that covers the team, says thats part of the "rotation" they're doing

This is what I'm talking about. He's out for an entire possession and we don't even throw him back out in the red zone or on 3rd down. Completely asinine. Same with the RBs when we have them healthy. One will get an entire drive right after the other just had a decent possession. No accounting for the hot hand. It's high school bullshit.