• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 13

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
You have to start wondering about Ryan Day as a coach. He inherited a loaded team so the record has to be great for a time just because of talent advantage.
Sounds familiar. Obviously.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Went to the Penn State game tonight. Stadium was probably 75% full, student section was probably 50% full. Understandable, being Thanksgiving weekend and a mostly meaningless game.

Penn State looked good for the first quarter and a half. Offense didn’t come out of the locker room in the second half until there was about eight minutes to go in the game. Defense was suspect in the second half also.

Fun to be there, but man, the atmosphere was subdued compared to previous trips to Happy Valley. Whole thing was odd. Still, we had a blast, hung out with some cool people. Looking forward to next year.
Yeah, the ol' end-of-the-season Land Grant "rivalry" has never inspired much interest.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Didn't they lose to U Sate earlier in year I think? Or Utah? I don't follow football much on that side of the continent.
It was Utah, and yes, USC lost to them earlier this season, their only loss on the season. Utah State is in a totally different conference

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Is TCU legit? It seems they have been underdogs a lot of the season or no one has given them much of a chance and yet, here they are.

Salute the nation

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Is TCU legit? It seems they have been underdogs a lot of the season or no one has given them much of a chance and yet, here they are.

Salute the nation
TCU has been an underdog all season because they are not in the SEC or Big 10. Anyone outside of those two conferences is unworthy.

Truth is, they are seen as kind of a one hit wonder. Sort of like Cincy a year or two ago. Teams like that don't normally have staying power, and I think most everyone kind of expects them to lose at some point. Gonna have to be Saturday, or they are getting in the playoff.

Steelmann

Reaction score
If USC can get any kind of defensive play....watch out!

That QB and RB combo of Williams and Jones is the best in the nation.
Plus the Williams to Addison connection.....not to shabby as well. Should be interesting to see this team against a top notch defense.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
TCU has been an underdog all season because they are not in the SEC or Big 10. Anyone outside of those two conferences is unworthy.

Truth is, they are seen as kind of a one hit wonder. Sort of like Cincy a year or two ago. Teams like that don't normally have staying power, and I think most everyone kind of expects them to lose at some point. Gonna have to be Saturday, or they are getting in the playoff.
The Big 10 PR machine does terrific work. Granted, the SEC isn't as good as ESPN makes it out to be, but that conference at least wins championships.

Playoff Record since 2014-15:
SEC - 14-5 (5 Championships)
Big 10 - 3-5 (1 Championship)

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

I'll keep rooting for those underdogs then, I like the underdog mentality of winning.

Salute the nation

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
The Big 10 PR machine does terrific work. Granted, the SEC isn't as good as ESPN makes it out to be, but that conference at least wins championships.

Playoff Record since 2014-15:
SEC - 14-5 (5 Championships)
Big 10 - 3-5 (1 Championship)

But part of that is that the SEC gets a mulligan on losses that no other conferences get. SEC gets 2 teams in the playoff sometimes as well. They have been the top conference but they also get more bingo cards than anybody else.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
But part of that is that the SEC gets a mulligan on losses that no other conferences get. SEC gets 2 teams in the playoff sometimes as well. They have been the top conference but they also get more bingo cards than anybody else.
That's making excuses. The SEC has a 0.737 win percentage in the playoffs compared to 0.375 for the Big 10. Five championships to one. Of the SEC's five losses, only one has come in the semifinals and that was a 7-point Alabama loss to Ohio State. Of the other four losses, two have come to fellow SEC opponents.

The Big 10 has the only two teams to be shut out in a playoff game (Alabama 38 Michigan State 0, Clemson 31 Ohio State 0). Even the bad ACC has more CFP wins, winning percentage, and championships. The Big 10 is approaching Tomlin territory in lack of playoff success.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

TCU's offensive scheme is fantastic!

Maybe their OC would like to work in the NFL?
Just saying...

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
TCU's offensive scheme is fantastic!

Maybe their OC would like to work in the NFL?
Just saying...

I'd take a flyer on this, O'Canada needs outteD

Salute the nation

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
BTW---

His name is Garrett Riley...

Kid brother of Lincoln Riley..

Even Coach T would have to agree that's good pedigree.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
That's making excuses. The SEC has a 0.737 win percentage in the playoffs compared to 0.375 for the Big 10. Five championships to one. Of the SEC's five losses, only one has come in the semifinals and that was a 7-point Alabama loss to Ohio State. Of the other four losses, two have come to fellow SEC opponents.

The Big 10 has the only two teams to be shut out in a playoff game (Alabama 38 Michigan State 0, Clemson 31 Ohio State 0). Even the bad ACC has more CFP wins, winning percentage, and championships. The Big 10 is approaching Tomlin territory in lack of playoff success.

Any way you slice it, the Big Ten is clearly the #2 overall conference for a long time. Pac 12 had Oregon for a few years and nothing else. ACC has Clemson and nothing. Big 12 has sent Oklahoma to get slaughtered a bunch of times.

Once again I will point out the stupidity of playing Ohio State vs Michigan in the last week of the season. If that game was 4 weeks ago, OSU is probably back in the top 4 and sitting pretty for the playoff. Just like Tenn was sitting pretty until they imploded vs South Carolina.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Any way you slice it, the Big Ten is clearly the #2 overall conference for a long time. Pac 12 had Oregon for a few years and nothing else. ACC has Clemson and nothing. Big 12 has sent Oklahoma to get slaughtered a bunch of times.

Once again I will point out the stupidity of playing Ohio State vs Michigan in the last week of the season. If that game was 4 weeks ago, OSU is probably back in the top 4 and sitting pretty for the playoff. Just like Tenn was sitting pretty until they imploded vs South Carolina.
The Big 10 can be the #2 conference and they can earn all the money they want, but it isn't producing football championships.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Big 10 can be the #2 conference and they can earn all the money they want, but it isn't producing football championships.
you tryna make Tape stroke out? that's how you make Tape stroke out.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
you tryna make Tape stroke out? that's how you make Tape stroke out.

no because tape only cares about Penn state and hates the other Big 10 teams. I was hoping Penn State jumped to the ACC. Actually, I still hope the ACC lures Penn state and Notre Dame.

Unlike SEC fans seeing who live vicariously through the success of Bama and Georgia, Michigan winning a championship would not give me any pride or vicarious bragging rights. It would make me sick.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
no because tape only cares about Penn state and hates the other Big 10 teams. I was hoping Penn State jumped to the ACC. Actually, I still hope the ACC lures Penn state and Notre Dame.

Unlike SEC fans seeing who live vicariously through the success of Bama and Georgia, Michigan winning a championship would not give me any pride or vicarious bragging rights. It would make me sick.
LOLOLOLOL
SEC fans hate the other teams. We say SEC SEC SEC to rile up the Big 10 fans, since the SEC is the best conference in college football.