• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Colin Cowherd off the reservation comparing AFC North to AFC East

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Colin Cowherd is usually a talk show host I like. I most certainly do NOT always agree with, but I respect that he provides a reason for his insight. And he often makes solid points that I can see his point of view.

Last week, he made a comparison between the Steelers and the Patriots and why the Patriots have been more successful – BY COMPARING DIVISIONS.
The fact is luck and the bouncing of the ball goes a long way into winning a championship – and the 2005 Steelers team did get the benefit of the close calls (which were correct but could have easily been ruled the other way) to beat Seattle. On the same token, the Patriots were outright beaten by Pittsburgh last year and have never faced the Steelers at full strength – never facing Roethlisberger, Brown and Bell (this year Conner) healthy.

And while the Patriots have seemingly caught the Steelers on that single week where they are under-manned; we won’t dispute the Patriots have been more successful – even if they cheated to do it through the 2000s decade and have avoided the Steelers big guns the last 4 years.

However, Cowherd went off the reservation when comparing Divisions.

He compared the NY Jets to the Baltimore Ravens because Mark Sanchez was able to go into Foxboro and win a playoff game; while the Ravens were forged in fire by playing the Steelers 2007-2010 and managed only two slim wins with Ben Roethlisberger injured; by 2011 the Iron sharped Iron and the team that seemed to give the Patriots the most trouble over the years beat the Patriots twice in Foxboro and the other two losses came from a combined 7 points including a bizarre missed FG. Least we mention since Brady and Belichick have been together those Ravens have won 2 Super Bowls and 10 playoff wins…more than the rest of the AFC East combined.

Cowherd is on some serious drugs if he thinks the Patriots would have won the AFC East hands down if they had to play Baltimore every year.
He compared Miami to Cincinnati and gave Miami the edge, because they won “a playoff game”. Never mind the Bengals made it to the post-season 5 consecutive years. It might have been prudent to mention that playoff win was back in 2000 (also they have been outscored 121-51 in said games). Otherwise, the Dolphins have been knocked out by Baltimore twice and Pittsburgh once. And the Jets, also knocked out by Pittsburgh twice.

The best QB the Patriots have had to face has been Chad Pennington and his shoulder fell apart back in 2003. The Steelers have dealt with Carson Palmer who was a rising star until Cincinnati burned him out, Joe Flacco and even Derek Anderson’s career year. Buffalo and Cleveland have been doormats – at least Cleveland made a game of it vs. Pittsburgh and didn’t wet the bed with an anemic 10-3 loss (how did Buffalo make the playoffs last year anyway?)

That pathetic division has made New England’s run to the Super Bowl the last few years a joke considering how easy it’s been. The joke that the Titans were and the over-rated Jaguars last year; against a 4th string QB in Houston then against the under-manned Steelers in 2016. That team has had a magic carpet ride of the weakest division over 20 years in NFL history leading to the luckiest breaks in playoff match-ups.

The numbers speak for themselves Colin, don’t try to compare that pathetic division to the most competitive division in the NFL over 2 decades.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
The Steelers get the Browns twice a year... and even they were faux competitive in the early 00’s.... thats their easy team...

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
Colin Cowshed and his contemporaries get paid well to bloviate about something anything giving the impression they are maybe some kind of well educated authority?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Cudo's to original poster with an excellent out-take. CAN'T even compare the two divisions for last twenty years. NE division pathetic even before you add in the cheating. Our division has ALWAYS seemed to have two challengers for the division title.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh and hasn't our division put three into the play offs before................................... and two multiple times..................................

Salute the nation

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I ran the same assessment in another thread last week. The browns and Miami are both behind the bengals, closer to being the browns. And Jets are the bengals.

Forgot to mention that we have 2 multiple SB champions this millennium.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Here my post when I did the research on it:

And I agree the Browns have been terrible, and that is usually 2 wins. Cincy under Lewis, and the Ravens have at least been competitve and make the playoffs.

So to me the Browns = the Bills, they are both absolutely terrible franchises.
Jets and Dolphins don't even quite equal the Bengals. Since 08, Miami has 2 winning records, The Jets have 4 winning records and they share a total of 4 playoff appearances. Bengals have 6 winning records and 6 playoff appearances.

That's how bad the AFC East is. They have 3 teams worse than the Bengals, and never had to compete against a Superbowl contender (minus 2 years with the Jets), I wish we were in that shithole division getting 6 wins a year!

mr peeples

Banned
Reaction score
Colin's usual take on the difference between NE and Pgh is that Belichick runs a serious, disciplined, button down team and Tomlin runs things loosey goosey and buddy buddy. He says the loosey goosey teams _have_ won in the past, but it's not the norm. Far more often it is the button down teams who win rings, i.e. your Belichick, JImmy Johnson, Parcells, Gibbs, Noll coached teams. And I agree with him.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Colin has a lot of good takes, especially this year when it comes to the Steelers. I get what he was trying to say, but he missed the mark. The AFC East is far worse than the AFC North. However, New England handles their business outside of the division as well. His entire premise is the Patriots get a first round bye, usually play a cupcake in the second round and don't face their first real competition until the AFC Championship game and they get to play that in Foxboro every year.

mr peeples

Banned
Reaction score
I ran the same assessment in another thread last week. The browns and Miami are both behind the bengals, closer to being the browns. And Jets are the bengals.

Forgot to mention that we have 2 multiple SB champions this millennium.

Cinci is 5-3. When was the last time the Jets were that or better? The Bengals also had 5 straight seasons (2011-2015) of making the playoffs; when is the last time NY had that?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
He must have read my posts from last week, sniffed some glue and flipped it. NO team has benefited more from their division than the Pats* their division is abysmal. To my memory outside the Timmons puke up game in Miami which was avenged in the playoffs the Steelers have feasted on the Dolphins, Jets and Bills in the Roethlisberger era.

Last edited by a moderator: