• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Coaching problem 1, drafting problem 2

P

POP

We have discussed Tomlin not being that good of a coach as a major problem for this team. In a nutshell, when the team is self-motivated, like coming off a game where they got their faces caved in vs. Philly, it can perform well. But, anytime where they are not focused and motivated on their own, Tomlin does nothing to counter that, as he literally doesn't know what to do. All he can muster is that "deer-in-headlights" stare, where he is just clueless on what do to; doesn't know how to motivate, doesn't know how to make adjustments, he turns into nothing but some dude is cool shades.

But, lately there is something else amiss: our draft picks.

Look at all the high picks on our front 7; you'd think they would be a murderer's row out there. Look at ALL those high picks.

OLB Dupree - 1st round

OLB Jones - 1st round

DE Tuitt - 1st round

DE Heyward - 1st round

ILB Shazier - 1st round

ILB Timmons - 1st round

NT Hargraves - 3rd round

And that's not all. We've spent (finally) some higher picks on secondary too.

CB Burns - 1st round

CB Golson - 2nd round

S Davis - 2nd round

CB Gilbert - former 1st rounder traded for

Now, just look at that list and let it all soak in. Will all those prime draft picks, you'd think you could put a D on the field that rivaled the 2005-2008 Steelers' D, if not the ******* 1985 Bears!

Honestly, should a D that was given all those high picks not be better than what we have?

I thought the Steelers were "the smartest guys in the room" when it comes to drafting, or, at least, that's how they carry themselves, any how. But how is this D with all those prime picks? Best D in football? Try..........

24th overall D. 24th.

25th in yards per pass. (6 yards)

11th rushing D. The only aspect not a total **** show.

sacks - dead last. Tied for last place with 11. (Wasn't this D supposed to be all about getting to the QB? Then why do they SUCK so bad at it?)

Interceptions - only 3 teams have less than the Steelers, who have 4.

This is simply not acceptable. This team isn't getting it done, or anywhere close to it. They can't cover, they can't pressure the QB and they can't pick it off, even after ALL THOSE high picks being used on the D.

Time for someone to step up and clean house. The Rooneys can brag all they want about "We've only had 3 coaches since 1969" but they can brag about that as they are looking at 3 out of 5 years without winning seasons. 3 out of 5. Keep bragging about your low coaching changes and how smart you are at drafting, but, oh, just in case you didn't notice, both those elements suck and are nothing to brag about.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
As I pointed out there is a equal say with the draft picks, so Colbert shouldn't shoulder the show.

Every year we hit on just about every first rounder

and now not so much

what changed?

the head coach

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
We used to be money on first round draft choices. Wonder what happened ........

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Time for someone to step up and clean house. The Rooneys can brag all they want about "We've only had 3 coaches since 1969" but they can brag about that as they are looking at 3 out of 5 years without winning seasons. 3 out of 5. Keep bragging about your low coaching changes and how smart you are at drafting, but, oh, just in case you didn't notice, both those elements suck and are nothing to brag about.

2015 - 10-6 (conf. championship)

2014 - 11-5 (W/C)

2013 - 8-8

2012 - 8-8

2011 - 12 - 4 (div playoffs)

Based on simple arithmetic 3 of 5 seasons were winning records. Including the last two.

Besides the obvious team that doesn't play within the rules, seems like a W/L ratio that's near the top 1/4 of the league.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
2015 - 10-6 (conf. championship)

2014 - 11-5 (W/C)

2013 - 8-8

2012 - 8-8

2011 - 12 - 4 (div playoffs)

Based on simple arithmetic 3 of 5 seasons were winning records. Including the last two.

Besides the obvious team that doesn't play within the rules, seems like a W/L ratio that's near the top 1/4 of the league.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

I would say the poor drafting is more of reflection of what they haven't done compare to what they have done.

You expect good seasons with a elite QB elite WR and elite RB, you want more playoff wins with the three as well than came about from those statistics.

So those results are good if you don't mind not going all the way or going deeper into the payoffs than a one and done.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree Slash on playoff wins. You are there, you have overcome and produce.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
We used to be money on first round draft choices. Wonder what happened ........

The nfl has evolved into a pass first league. The Steelers have always played a certain brand of old time football, to a point where at the moment the team is having an indentity crisis. It's fine and respected to be traditional and stable. But flow with the times. Thats my opinion

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Our D is instantly better with two legitamite OLBs. Right now our best OLB is 38yrs old. Uncle Jarvis hasn't stepped up. DON'T argue he's been playing well lately. That arguement is playing well lately for what he has played in the past. He is barely bottom average. HOW many sacks has he got and what is his expected year total???? Moats / Chickillo at best VERY weak 3rd or 4th stringers. ****, we'd "gasp" if we actually had two legitamite OLB. YES our drafting started down hill as soon as Cowher left and new guy started. INSTANT drop off

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I've been saying all that for a long time. The offense draft picks have been pretty good but Shades can't draft defense for ****. I count four decent, productive draft picks on defense in the last ten years. Gay, Heyward, Tuitt, and Timmons. That's all I got.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been saying all that for a long time. The offense draft picks have been pretty good but Shades can't draft defense for ****. I count four decent, productive draft picks on defense in the last ten years. Gay, Heyward, Tuitt, and Timmons. That's all I got.

Was woodley drafted by us??? Course I don't consider him a successful draftee as he went to **** ASAP with his BIG contract !!!

**** the CHEATRIOTS !!!!

Salute the nation

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Tuitt was a 2nd rounder. C'mon Timmy was drafted a decade ago-definitely a good investment there.

Golsen yet to sniff the field (another 2nd rounder). Dupree a first sitting on IR. Shazier also spends a lot of time in sweats. Seems like we just need to keep our investments on the field or stop drafting China dolls

Yeah we haven't been perfect with our drafting and have invested a lot on the D but you're being a bit dramatic trying to prove a point.

OLB: Dupree a first showed potential, injuries happen way too early to grade him, JJ not the pass rusher we hoped for out of another first rounder, but currently one of our best LBs and while not a stellar first round pick (many do wash out) he is on the upward trend and is serviceable so I'd give him a C with potential to move to a B or D depending on where he goes from here.

MLB: as I stated Timmy has given us about a decade of solid work in the middle frequently leading the team in tackles and rarely missing games, he was a solid investment and not a recent investment. Shazier can look absolutely dominant when healthy and looks every part of a first round impact player, he just needs to stay on the field.

DE: Tuitt a solid 2nd round pick. Heyward a great first round pick

NT: Hargrave a 3rd rounder shows potential and is way to early to grade out, but he is getting play time as a rookie.

CB: Burns another first rounder seems to be coming along and again way too early to grade the kid, but he has jumped into getting starts as a rookie and has a lot of raw athleticism. Golsen 2nd round CHINA DOLL, probably too frail to play in the league. Gilbert cost a 6th so I don't give a crap where the Stains drafted him, he is a 6th rounder for the Steelers and so far has contributed a bit more than one usually gets for a 6th and may have a future/may not...worth the risk as a 6th round pick.

S: Davis a 2nd rounder with a lot of athleticism getting some reps as a rookie, again way too early to judge.

So it seems like you're just being way dramatic POP in stating that we have invested in rebuilding a D and now we are young on that side of the ball. The way it seems to me is that while not perfect, we are ahead of the league curve in drafting and just need to allow this very young unit some time to learn and gel. It is problematic that a few of these guys are not on the field enough, but that is a whole other can of worms.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
I think Colbert hands are tied, we have seen Tomlin get rid of coaches because they got as much fanfare as he did, players respected them as much if not more than Tomlin. So who do we feel is really in charge of the drafts, why do we continue to draft players that are a work in progress, that has gotten this team where exactly.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Colbert hands are tied, we have seen Tomlin get rid of coaches because they got as much fanfare as he did, players respected them as much if not more than Tomlin. So who do we feel is really in charge of the drafts, why do we continue to draft players that are a work in progress, that has gotten this team where exactly.

scratching head, who exactly are you referring to?

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I will also add that team was built on our offense, where the majority of the $ is. When the offense fails we fail. We are 13th in the league in the only defensive stat that is not window dressing points per game. If our D stays in the upper half of the league with what is allegedly a potent offense we should be a playoff team and have at a minimum a punchers chance in every game we take the field vs any team, even the low life pos cheating team that everyone seems to feel is the cream of the crop, oh yeah...**** THE PATRIOTS

obxsteeler

Reaction score
Lets look at the #1 overall picks during the Colbert /Tomlin tenure- Winston-Clowney-Fisher-Luck-Newton-Bradford-Stafford-Long-Russell-Williams.That is 10 PB's and I believe no SB's. The Steeler picks were mostly in the later first. Maybe not as shabby as you think.