• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Chiefs vs Bills

Troglodyte

Reaction score
The Bills had three different options.

1. Force a return on the kickoff. A squib kick or a ball just short of the goal line. Either would've allowed time for one play before the field goal. I don't know if Hill was back there, but I could understand if they were worried about a big return.

2. Even after the kickoff, the Chiefs needed about 50 yards in 13 seconds. That's two plays, leaving just enough time for a field goal. Play defense. They were trying to prevent a touchdown rather than prevent a field goal. I have no clue what they were trying to do.

3. Mug Hill and Kelce at the line. If you get a penalty, who cares? The time runs as the play runs and if you jam them at the line, it's legal.

The Bills chose option 4, total prevent defense and the Chiefs didn't even have to try to get those yards that quick.
I thought the same thing at the end of the half. When a team is trying to drive down the field with very little time left, what’s the harm in the defense drawing 5 yard holding penalties? Time doesn’t get put back on the clock, so the first down is meaningless. Just tackle the receiver and give them the five yards for five seconds off the clock.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Reporter tentatively: Sean I know it's tough but did you consider squib kicking it to give them less time. There was only 13 seconds.
Coach: We considered everything but in the end it comes down to execution and that starts with me.
Really everything comes down to execution. None of it comes down to decisions made. Is there a bullshit trying program for NFL coaches to prepare press conferences.

Yes SIR, why yes there is.................................... been operating for 15+ and continues with never a losing moment......................................................

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
If I could walk into the press conference I'd love to announce:
Execution starts a little before the snap in terms of alignment, but 95 percent of it is post snap. So when the coach says execution.... it's likely flim flam.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
How , with 13 seconds did the chefs get into position to kick to force OT..? I missed it.!
Bills kicked endzone. Gave the 25. The Bills played 1/4 s coverage. The Chiefs threw a quick hit to Hill. He ran without resistance for I'm gonna say 15 or more. They went time out. Then they threw seam to Kelce. The middle 1/4 on that side sagged to about the 20. He was wide open anran to the 30 ish. They easily kicked the tying field goal. Won the toss and walked down for the walk off TD.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Damn. I don't know how I would want to lose a game. How we did....or how the Bills did. Some of these coaches simply try to over think the situation to much. Squib kick it.....then mug Kelce and Hill. Game over.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
That was the dumbest ending to a football game as I've ever seen. Just from a defensive standpoint. It defied all logic and the simplest of solutions with such minimal time left on the clock. Press everyone at the line. Hell tackle them if needed. Do it again the next play even if they drop a flag.

No, let's let the very best offensive players run free for 15+ yards.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Damn. I don't know how I would want to lose a game. How we did....or how the Bills did. Some of these coaches simply try to over think the situation to much. Squib kick it.....then mug Kelce and Hill. Game over.

Funny how these games start out with great defense, then end in these most improbable finishes.

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
No chief, the whole game doesn't have to be scripted when game are fixed . You cant possibly be that stupid.

Even if this particular game wasnt fixed, you don't influence a game all game long with FGs hitting uprights, tipped passes and **** like that. You affect 1 or 2 plays.

Hypothetically, lets say, you could allow a team to go 50 yards untouched in 10 secs against the #1 defense in the NFL
Ok, chief, so, let's go with your theory. For that to matter the extra point had to be missed earlier. Also, how many defenders need to be in on it, and what about the coach and gm who might move on from that player after the failed play? How much money does it take to counter the effect a super bowl win has on your marketability? And how do they make sure you don't leak it after tha fact? Also how do you in game, determine who you need to tell what play to take off? Do you do it in game? Can't use a cell phone on the sidelines, so is yhe head coach in on it too? What if the guy who is in on it gets hurt? Do you have a backup "stooge"? Could it be done, yes, but when you actually think about what it would take, well, chief unless you're a ****** moron, you start to see its way more likely **** just happens.

Joe

Last edited:

MeanJim

Forefather
Reaction score
That was an amazing game to watch, but it made me pretty sad afterward. That right there is the future of the NFL.
Arena League, CFL, no defense BS. Score, score, score.
#91 for the Bills got held the entire game, I think they threw one flag. No offensive penalties, that would slow down the score-fest!
Don't waste your time with defense. Don't waste your time with blue chippers on the O-line. Just teach these bums how to hold.
The Steelers have no hope whatsoever of competing. We're like the Bears, Giants, and a few others. Our team just doesn't understand offensive football.
Smash mouth football was dead when Cowher brought it back to Pittsburgh. The Cowboys and 49ers had already left it behind. Don't waste your time. Be the 99 Rams.
Get fast receivers, a great TE, a mobile QB (that isn't a complete moron), and score, score, score! The only thing that can beat you is the clock running out.... or a coin toss.
Oh, yeah... and you're gonna need a coach.

Meanwhile, we're thinking about tendering Haskins....

Last edited:

Troglodyte

Reaction score
That was an amazing game to watch, but it made me pretty sad afterward. That right there is the future of the NFL.
#91 for the Bills got held the entire game, I think they threw one flag. No offensive penalties, that would slow down the score-fest!
Don't waste your time with defense. Don't waste your time with blue chippers on the O-line. Just teach these bums how to hold.
The Steelers have no hope whatsoever of competing. We're like the Bears, Giants, and a few others. Our team just doesn't understand offensive football.
Smash mouth football was dead when Cowher brought it back to Pittsburgh. The Cowboys and 49ers had already left it behind. Don't waste your time. Be the 99 Rams.
Get fast receivers, a great TE, a mobile QB (that isn't a complete moron), and score, score, score! The only thing that can beat you is the clock running out.... or a coin toss.

Immediately everyone starts talking about changing the OT rules AGAIN. The answer is always more offense. How about the NFL changes the rules so that offenses can’t score 25 points in two minutes?

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
I’m still shaking my head and would be furious if that ending happened to the Steelers. 13 seconds….grab every receiver and toss them to the ground at the LOS! What’s that a 10 yard penalty and you ran 5-6 seconds of clock? The only possible way they get 44 yards in that span is if you’re playing TD prevent…which, is exactly what they did.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Can't believe people are now bitching about OT rules again. They already changed it so you couldn't easily go down and kick a FG to win. You need a TD or the other team gets a shot. If the No. 1 passing D couldn't stop them, then they (and anyone else) don't deserve a shot to tie it. If you get the coin toss and score a TD, you win, period. There is absolutely zero reason to change the rule.

Stewey

Reaction score
I don't think anyone mentioned the Bills biggest mistake...you never ever leave an opponent with 13 seconds left on the clock!

Add that to the list!

Friday the 13th
No designated 13th floor in hotels
Judas was the 13th apostle
Apollo 13 was the only unsuccessful moon mission
The names of Charles Manson, Jack the Ripper, Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Bundy and Albert De Salvo all contain 13 letters

How stupid can the Bills be!!!

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think anyone mentioned the Bills biggest mistake...you never ever leave an opponent with 13 seconds left on the clock!

Add that to the list!

Friday the 13th
No designated 13th floor in hotels
Judas was the 13th apostle
Apollo 13 was the only unsuccessful moon mission
The names of Charles Manson, Jack the Ripper, Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Bundy and Albert De Salvo all contain 13 letters

How stupid can the Bills be!!!
I will add one...

Always call heads on a coin toss.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Absolutely a great and entertaining football game led by two exciting young QBs. Josh Allen was amazing and it’s a damn shame he lost, and Patrick is just Patrick.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score

But as last years superbowl proves a great defense still wins.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I would be very frustrated if I was a Bills fan today. Frustrated with the coaches and yeah what the league is become. They were a pretty complete outfit. But got out track meet.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Can't believe people are now bitching about OT rules again. They already changed it so you couldn't easily go down and kick a FG to win. You need a TD or the other team gets a shot. If the No. 1 passing D couldn't stop them, then they (and anyone else) don't deserve a shot to tie it. If you get the coin toss and score a TD, you win, period. There is absolutely zero reason to change the rule.
couldn't agree more, so sick of hearing about it all day. They had 4 qtrs plus to make a stop on D, play some defense.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Buffalo had the No. 1 passing D and top 10 run D. The Chiefs had their way with them all game long and especially at the end. It was the worst showing by one of the top D's so far in the playoffs. You really can't argue anything other than their D should have and needed to come up with one-stop there in the final 2 minutes or OT. KC deserved to win.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
Go Bungles

Buffalo had the No. 1 passing D and top 10 run D. The Chiefs had their way with them all game long and especially at the end. It was the worst showing by one of the top D's so far in the playoffs. You really can't argue anything other than their D should have and needed to come up with one-stop there in the final 2 minutes or OT. KC deserved to win.
And de facto doesn't make our defensive performance against KC look so bad. We were containing them with cover 2 then we went single high because they got a few runs and the avalanche of points started.

Whether it was Butler or Tomlin it was idiotic. You are not going to contain them all game, you have to slow them down and control the clock, our coaching staff either panicked or thought" Hey we got this. Let's stop their run now" Nope.... doesn't work that way. Their offense is beyond explosive...ask the Bills. We got every thing we needed: a defensive TD, several 3rd down stops, then either arrogance or fear kicked in and we made a stupid strategic choice.

FIRE BUTLER! Oh...what? He fired himself?
Outstanding....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Steelr4evr

Reaction score

Playing that prevent defense bullshit with 8 seconds on the clock was the dumbest **** I've ever seen considering what the Chiefs offense was doing to them in the 4th. Terrible way to die.