• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

CB Alterraun Verner released

ZACKB

Reaction score
Bucs released CB Alterraun Verner.

The no-brainer move creates $6.5 million in cap space, and leaves behind no dead money. Signed to a four-year, $25.5 million contract in March 2014, Verner was a comprehensive bust in Tampa, losing his starting job in 2015. Despite good health, he made just nine combined starts over the past two years, playing 838 replacement-level snaps. The ex-Titan turned 28 in January. He'll search for fourth corner work.

-We tried to sign him 2 years ago. Maybe we can bring him in cheap to compete with Golson and provide vet depth?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Can he beat out Gay?

deljzc

Reaction score
I think it would be a good depth signing. Especially after releasing Justin Gilbert.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
having never met you, I believe you can take gays position.

I am too big too play gays position. I am more of a tackle or defensive end.

Thanks for the offer though.

:biggrin1:

deljzc

Reaction score
An article in the trib Colbert stated they released Gilbert for salary cap reasons but were open to resigning.

• He has not “closed the door” on trying to re-sign cornerback Justin Gilbert, who was released for salary-cap purposes.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/11951243-74/colbert-steelers-bell

We'll see. I think they like Gilbert as a kick returner so if they have plans for Ayers or draft a secondary player that also returns kicks, Gilbert might be on the outs.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I am too big too play gays position. I am more of a tackle or defensive end.

Thanks for the offer though.

:biggrin1:

A 6'7 corner. Pfft. Just jam the WR at the line Slash. I'll buy your jersey too

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
Bucs released CB Alterraun Verner.

The no-brainer move creates $6.5 million in cap space, and leaves behind no dead money. Signed to a four-year, $25.5 million contract in March 2014, Verner was a comprehensive bust in Tampa, losing his starting job in 2015. Despite good health, he made just nine combined starts over the past two years, playing 838 replacement-level snaps. The ex-Titan turned 28 in January. He'll search for fourth corner work.

-We tried to sign him 2 years ago. Maybe we can bring him in cheap to compete with Golson and provide vet depth?

Pass. "...Verner was a comprehensive bust in Tampa, losing his starting job in 2015. Despite good health, he made just nine combined starts over the past two years...". Do we really need a Jarvis Jones style CB? Well, at least he will provide competition for Golson if the only competition is to stay healthy.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Pass. "...Verner was a comprehensive bust in Tampa, losing his starting job in 2015. Despite good health, he made just nine combined starts over the past two years...". Do we really need a Jarvis Jones style CB? Well, at least he will provide competition for Golson if the only competition is to stay healthy.

Well the difference is that Verner actually had good years before he went to Tampa. Possibly he just didn't fit well or wasn't comfortable there. I think he's worth a look for depth

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

Well the difference is that Verner actually had good years before he went to Tampa. Possibly he just didn't fit well or wasn't comfortable there. I think he's worth a look for depth

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

cheap vet with experience? sure, bring him on

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
sign him to play the slot and Revis to play some SS in the nickel where ca cal allow davis to play more like a lb/s like how we used to with troy and as well at times lee flowers who was a force in the box but useless in coverage

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
sign him to play the slot and Revis to play some SS in the nickel where ca cal allow davis to play more like a lb/s like how we used to with troy and as well at times lee flowers who was a force in the box but useless in coverage

Revis sucks in run support, no way he'd be useful as a SS