• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

By the Numbers

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
http://www.steelers.com/news/by-the...est-yard/276e503a-1275-4118-b39d-b2c879e13a90

A deep dive into the numbers from the first preseason game of 2016 against the Detroit Lions.

Steelers CB Doran Grant came up with a splash play in the 2nd quarter, intercepting the ball and ran it back 39 yards for a touchdown.

Though RB Daryl Richardson led the Steelers with 44 total rushing yards, the team's longest run of the day went to WR Demarcus Ayers, who carried the ball 14 yards.

Guess how many toes WR Darrius Heyward-Bey managed to tap in bounds after catching a perfectly placed pass from Landry Jones in the corner of the endzone? You guessed it - 2. It was also the longest Steelers catch of the game for 29 yards.

92 & 55

The Detroit Lions' first drive of the game came to an end when No. 92 and No. 55 teamed up for a turnover. LB James Harrison beat his man and strip-sacked Lions QB Matthews Stafford at the 35-yard line. LB Arthur Moats fell on the ball to seal the turnover.

The Steelers had six different defenders log a pass defensed in the preseason opener. They are CB Doran Grant, LB L.J. Fort, CB Ross Cockrell, S Shamarko Thomas, DE Ricardo Mathews and DT Devaunte Sigler.

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score

the number of starting DB's that this team can afford to get boo-boos.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
0 - the number of NFL teams who would take Landry as their no. 2.

That guy sucks. It's pathetic. That ******* mustache. He sucks.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Truly was there one thing that impressed any Steeler fan last night. That was pitiful. Sorry been a fan longer than I can remember but I do not get the philosophy of Tomlin leadership in pre season, I don't get who he drafts and especially who he has picked off the wire. If anyone has watched the other preseason games and watched the caliber of play and the energy in the faces of other teams, you just have to shake your head of what do the Steelers do at camp. Our guys looked lost last night and all this hype of who has a good camp sure did not go to Heinz field last night. I despise the Cowboys but sitting here watching there play led by a rookie QB is unbelievable. Prescott has throw two incomplete passes and his players dropped the ball. Poise all the way. Jones after all his play still does add up and Gradkowski why keep him when he is hurt again. We suck at tackling and giving up tons of extra yards. The only player out there last night was a 39 year old , Harrison that gave more effort in a hand full of plays than the rest of team did all night. Richardson was the only other player that stood out.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Pittsburgh Steelers, the place where vet QBs go to sit the season on IR...

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have won 2 of their past 14 pre-season games.

And with all honesty...I really don't give a rats ***...

Pre-season is more risk than benefit for an NFL team..

Non-Value added in my opinion..

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
You wonder why we consistently lose to bad teams during the regular season ? Lazy game planning. Tomlin has so much as said there is very little game planning in preseason. I think this carries through to those "should have won" games during the regular season. I can't help myself, but if a score kept then you play to win. Make an effort.

rbm328

Reaction score
<<the number of NFL teams who would take Landry as their no. 2. That guy sucks.>>

i too agree they need to dump jones and keep vaughn. he has a lot of promise. for someone who has played numerous games as first string (when others were injured), as you say, and i agree, flat out - - sucks!

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have won 2 of their past 14 pre-season games.

And with all honesty...I really don't give a rats ***...

Pre-season is more risk than benefit for an NFL team..

Non-Value added in my opinion..

This....you use it to see which young guys can make plays or at least correctly execute their assignments....

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
<<the number of NFL teams who would take Landry as their no. 2. That guy sucks.>>

i too agree they need to dump jones and keep vaughn. he has a lot of promise. for someone who has played numerous games as first string (when others were injured), as you say, and i agree, flat out - - sucks!

Jones is better than Vaughan.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
On what planet did Vaughn look better then Jones smh

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
People are really bitching about a pre season game. Half the team didn't even play.. watch the young guys execute their assignments and pray for no injuries.. That's it..I haven't cared about wins and losses in the pre season since I was a kid.

throwitdeep

Reaction score
0 - the number of NFL teams who would take Landry as their no. 2.

That guy sucks. It's pathetic. That ******* mustache. He sucks.
Ha ha. I second this. Stay healthy, Ben, please. No Bryant, no Bell for four games, the TE situation stinks ... Ben, stand tall.

rbm328

Reaction score
On what planet did Vaughn look better then Jones smh

considering the time jones has been with the steelers and vaughn being a rookie. vaughn looked like he had more promise than jones.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
considering the time jones has been with the steelers and vaughn being a rookie. vaughn looked like he had more promise than jones.

Vaughan has some nice qualities, but accuracy is not one of them. Unfortunately for him, that one is pretty important.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
1 - The number of vet corners needed to be added to the final 53.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
I would be fine if we lost every preseason game and took no injuries. I want to win the games when the season starts.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Grant also tackled well and showed some speed.

Richardson looks like our 3rd best back. He has some speed and moves. I like what I saw.

Berry killed it. Best I've seen him look.

C

Clete

We did not have a first down for the first 23 minutes of the game under Jones's leadership. he is as clueless as he has always been.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
I would be fine if we lost every preseason game and took no injuries. I want to win the games when the season starts.
So would everyone. Haven't seen the ability to flip the switch that quickly from this team.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
3 - number of times that I can remember (it could be more) that Steelers quarterbacks threw a complete 2-3 yard pass to a covered receiver on 3rd-and-8 or longer.
0 - first downs as a result of those plays