• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Bullshit article on Bud Dupree

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a speculative article on Bud Dupree's rehab from dual abdominal core surgeries.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...lers-olb-bud-duprees-return-further-away-than

Aside from the fact that the reporter keeps calling it a sports hernia (which is a term that does not exist in medicine), The author is also lamenting the fact that Bud is only walking after 2 weeks. That is on par with abdominal core surgery, and barring setbacks, will still be 100% healed on 10/16, and ready to resume training.

It is lazy writing to infer a small sound bite and report it as dire, without doing the research into the rehab of such an injury.

Maybe, just maybe, he will be able to get himself back on the field, but after undergoing surgery to repair a sports hernia, you have to question just how effective he would be on the field.

This is the worst part of the article, suggesting that Bud will not be the same, while not understanding that this soft tissue injury will be 100% healed if the surgery and rehab are successful. Just so the rest of us are educated, if Bud Dupree returns to practice on or about 10/20, he will be 100% ready to play football because his injury will be 100% healed. He will just have to strengthen his legs and get his cardio back to playing shape, and that gives him 3 extra weeks with the bye.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
If he's lucky he may make the last 4 games of the year. I hope he can. We're going to need him. We need all of the talented linebackers we can get.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
It's just generic street lingo for worn or torn obliques, groin or something in the abdominal area. He'll be lucky to make playoffs this year. I'd rather see him out the whole year and properly heal and return next season and future seasons beyond. My thoughts anyways

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
With him having that surgery when he did, I'd be shocked if he comes back before week 12. Even then, he won't be in football shape. But, if he can get back, it would be great to get a few games in before the playoffs.

fogdoctor

Reaction score
Week 12-14 or playoffs. No point in rushing him back.

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
Rub some dirt on it and get out there

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
HOLY **** PEOPLE? Do you understand how abdominals heal? I think I've spelled it out pretty simply. His soft tissue will be 100% healed in 2 weeks. If that's the case, he will be able to practice with ZERO risk of reinjury.

Where the heck are you people grabbing 12 weeks, by the playoffs, and hopefully next year from?

That's why I write articles about injury, I'm sick of the tail wagging the dog when reporters don't understand or do the research in the rehab, or timelines for specific injuries.

GarrettG

Reaction score
The primary reason he is going to be ineffective isn't the injury he's coming back from. It's because he won't have played any football in 10 months and when he came out of college the primary knocks on him were his instincts and recognition. The recovery time of the injury (and all the time before that of not being able to practice / play during training camp) will greatly impact his developmental time line. Not looking for much from him before 2017 even if he does come back this year.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
HOLY **** PEOPLE? Do you understand how abdominals heal? I think I've spelled it out pretty simply. His soft tissue will be 100% healed in 2 weeks. If that's the case, he will be able to practice with ZERO risk of reinjury.

Where the heck are you people grabbing 12 weeks, by the playoffs, and hopefully next year from?

That's why I write articles about injury, I'm sick of the tail wagging the dog when reporters don't understand or do the research in the rehab, or timelines for specific injuries.

If it's a laparoscopic procedure, 2-4 weeks at the most of heal time and looking to make sure the wound heals without infection. If they had to make surgical incisions because laparoscopy is not an option, then yes, you can safely presume a whole season from this point. Reason is that now you have to watch several incision sites from either prematurely opening which can allow for unnecessary infections to happen. He's a first round and future investment. Regardless of which way he had surgery I would bet that's how the organization is looking at this.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Now Garrett, I can understand that line of reasoning. He won't be ready to step on an NFL field week 6, but he's not allowed to play in an NFL game until week 10 due to the IR designation.

So even being ready to practice 10/17 gives him until 11/13 to prepare for his first NFL game.

And yes Shane, the best doctors at this type of abdominal surgery use lap. That's why the recovery is only 6 weeks. Now yesterday was the first time I heard it was a dual surgery, meaning they hit both sides of the groin, may swing this an extra week or 2, but apples being apples, the recovery should still be the same.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Cope, you and I both know that over half the articles published anymore are merely click bait by uniformed, first reporting (who gives a crap about accuracy) arm chair doctors. It is truly sad and pathetic lazy reporting. Thanks for bringing some light and logic to the situation.

Hopefully he can get his legs underneath him and cardio in shape for a deep playoff/SB run.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

231609ca90f677315125ac7502f650bb.gif

GarrettG

Reaction score
Now Garrett, I can understand that line of reasoning. He won't be ready to step on an NFL field week 6, but he's not allowed to play in an NFL game until week 10 due to the IR designation.

So even being ready to practice 10/17 gives him until 11/13 to prepare for his first NFL game.

And yes Shane, the best doctors at this type of abdominal surgery use lap. That's why the recovery is only 6 weeks. Now yesterday was the first time I heard it was a dual surgery, meaning they hit both sides of the groin, may swing this an extra week or 2, but apples being apples, the recovery should still be the same.

Right. Just concerned about all the lost repetitions over the course of many months for a guy that desparately needed repetitions to help develop his game and hone his football instincts. A couple weeks of practice will not bridge that gap and it doesn't seem unreasonable to think he is unlikely to provide a ton of value for the foreseeable future. The way I look at it, ANY contribution in 2016 should be considered a huge plus.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

Abs do heal fast, but the two surgeries aspect is what is garnering attention. If he is to tear a muscle in the ab region again, then yeah shut him down for the season

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Sad fact is that Sunday night vs the chiefs, the 4 best steeler OLBs on the field were Harrison, Porter, Lloyd and Green. And i'm only half joking. I seriously believe Porter, if he was in shape, would get more sacks than anybody but Harrison.