• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Bryce Petty anyone?

FordFairLane

Reaction score
With the jets signing Fitz, drafting Hack and still have Geno Smith not going anywhere it seems that Bryce Petty is the odd man out. I think Bruce ends up winning the back up spot but I would think petty could push Jones off the team and maybe show enough to go into 2017 as the clear #2 and allow us to move on from Bruce. They probably won't let him walk early in camp because they need camp arms but after a round of cuts he likely could be have with a conditional 7th round pick. Or wait and get him for nothing.

Thoughts?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the Steelers are comfy with Bruce and Landry.

If I had to choose a vet at any position CB would be on my number one priority list, as was FS last year.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
You need to be askin' Tombert, not us. That kid has all the potential to be their #2 behind Fitzpatrick and I never thought Geno Smith looked liked a superstar, so I see them going Fitz, Petty, Hack with Smith on the outside or as a #4....for this year. Hackenberg is the future so if they will keep Smith or Petty will depend on what they show right now in camp and PS. If Petty can't outplay Smith, I don't think Tombert will want him either.

deljzc

Reaction score
I think the Steelers are comfy with Bruce and Landry.

If I had to choose a vet at any position CB would be on my number one priority list, as was FS last year.

The Steelers are comfy. Not sure I am....

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers are comfy. Not sure I am....

You would be comfy with Bryce with no starting experience over two QBs with starting experience?

hell the Steelers might as well start rookies at CB and SS, what is experience anyways..........

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If he can't beat out Smith, I'd say no.

Omar10213245

πŸ‘€πŸ‘‚πŸŽƒπŸˆπŸ‡πŸ₯‘πŸ†πŸ‹πŸͺ‚πŸŒžπŸŒ›πŸŒœβ˜‚β˜”β„πŸŒŠπŸ₯΄πŸ€¬πŸ₯Ί
Contributor
Reaction score
Mmm no thanks. Petty is still a big-time project at this point

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
L Jones > B Petty in our system as it relates to the pursuit of a SB this year

FordFairLane

Reaction score

They have too much invested in Smith to cut him. Unless Smith completely falls on his *** he's probably the #2 and even if Petty beats out Hack they aren't cutting him.

Hell, Petty could look like the second best QB in camp and he still likely doesn't make the final cut.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Mmm no thanks. Petty is still a big-time project at this point

Yes, but Jones is pretty much a finished project at this point, and he's not a good NFL backup QB.

If Bruce Gradkowski has a rough camp and Petty is cut, I'd put in a claim for him.

bmoritz

Reaction score
What I don't get is, why is Gradkowski considered untouchable? I don't hate the guy, but he's done NOTHING in a Steelers uniform. As unexciting as the thought of Landry playing is, he's done more than Grad.

ark steel

Reaction score
They have too much invested in Smith to cut him. Unless Smith completely falls on his *** he's probably the #2 and even if Petty beats out Hack they aren't cutting him.

Hell, Petty could look like the second best QB in camp and he still likely doesn't make the final cut.

Smith was drafted by a different GM and a different HC. They also have a different OC and different QB coach. I don't know that what they have "invested" in him is the same if he had the same people in charge.I

MO, no way the team keeps him if Petty outplays him, with one, possible exception. They may believe that a QB injury to another team might make Geno tradeable (no idea why anyone would be innerested, though).

bmoritz

Reaction score
I think Geno is safe for this year with the Jets regardless of how poorly/well he plays in training camp and preseason. The reason is because that would leave two QBs behind Fitzpatrick with ZERO NFL regular season experience. I think Petty could outshine him and still easily be cut. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him and releasing Gradkowski, but I prefer Foles at the right money.

P

POP

Guys, these are the Steelers. They don't make bold moves, even with things like making moves with back up QBs. They just don't do things like that. They prefer slow and steady. Adding a new back up will be too "wild" of a move.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Smith was drafted by a different GM and a different HC. They also have a different OC and different QB coach. I don't know that what they have "invested" in him is the same if he had the same people in charge.I

MO, no way the team keeps him if Petty outplays him, with one, possible exception. They may believe that a QB injury to another team might make Geno tradeable (no idea why anyone would be innerested, though).

Last week Smith was the starter. Now they have Fitz and he's going to get cut? No, Smith has starting experience and was still a second round pick so maybe he's not handcuffed to the GM or coach but the team has invested in him. Now lets say Petty and Smith are neck and neck but both head and shoulders above Hack? Who do you think gets cut? It's not going to be Hack and I don't think that because of a "good camp" you just let Smith and his NFL experience go down the road. And lets say that they do. I would still take Geno Smith over Landry Jones as our #3.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Sooooooo... how's Bryce looking now?

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Did you ask Dulac about Petty on the weekly chat?

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Sooooooo... how's Bryce looking now?

lol after Landry laid a egg I would wait for final cut-downs and bring a slew of backups in for a trout............

FordFairLane

Reaction score

deljzc

Reaction score
This organization is not in the QB development business. We're not good at it. We've had a ton of mid-to-late draft picks and all they get to is #3 on the depth chart.

The quality of our backup is entirely based on the timing/cap available resources of finding a quality journeyman veteran. We found Batch and (I guess) that was okay for a while. Leftwich and Gradkowski in my opinion suck. Vick was an embarrassment to the organization (in my opinion) and not worth the jersey he wore.

Right now, I'm not sure who's deciding among the veterans who they "like". I assume it's a bit of Colbert, Tomlin and Haley with a lot of restrictions based on available money. They've picked poorly however and maybe they need to decide to allocate some more dollars to the position (it doesn't help when the old cheap guys we do get get hurt and we have to double up the investment by bringing in another old cheap guy).

Not sure what the plan is with Landry Jones. Is he going to be the career backup draft pick that finally gets to hold down the #2 backup spot? Is he going to get a 2nd contract and possibly be the "veteran" to teach the future draft pick/heir apparent to Roethlisberger in 2-3 seasons (and possibly get a few starts along the way)?

Maybe.... 8-Ball says it's blurry at that position in 2020.

ZACKB

Reaction score
some of those int's were not his fault. I'd trade a seventh, but no more for Petty.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
This organization is not in the QB development business. We're not good at it. We've had a ton of mid-to-late draft picks and all they get to is #3 on the depth chart.

The quality of our backup is entirely based on the timing/cap available resources of finding a quality journeyman veteran. We found Batch and (I guess) that was okay for a while. Leftwich and Gradkowski in my opinion suck. Vick was an embarrassment to the organization (in my opinion) and not worth the jersey he wore.

Right now, I'm not sure who's deciding among the veterans who they "like". I assume it's a bit of Colbert, Tomlin and Haley with a lot of restrictions based on available money. They've picked poorly however and maybe they need to decide to allocate some more dollars to the position (it doesn't help when the old cheap guys we do get get hurt and we have to double up the investment by bringing in another old cheap guy).

Not sure what the plan is with Landry Jones. Is he going to be the career backup draft pick that finally gets to hold down the #2 backup spot? Is he going to get a 2nd contract and possibly be the "veteran" to teach the future draft pick/heir apparent to Roethlisberger in 2-3 seasons (and possibly get a few starts along the way)?

Maybe.... 8-Ball says it's blurry at that position in 2020.

How was Vick an embarrasment?

He had no off field issues last year, and his production wasnt that much worse than Landry Jones'.

ark steel

Reaction score
How was Vick an embarrasment?

He had no off field issues last year, and his production wasnt that much worse than Landry Jones'.

Pretty sure del and I have beaten that horse to death in that we think Vick is an embarrassment. Period.

deljzc

Reaction score
Michael Vick is a dog torturer and gleeful killer of animals for his amusement and pleasure.

He will rot in hell. We sold our soul to the devil bringing that human being into our organization and I will never forgive them for it. **** the Steelers for it forever and any fan that didn't have the balls to say something about it. I'm actually embarrassed that our fan base so willingly "moved on" like it was no big deal, but that's the society we live in. Short memories and all for the love of our teams no matter what.

But that's rehashing old wounds and memories. He's not on the roster. I'm less of a fan. Life moves on.