• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Brother can you spare a dime?

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
It's untenable. This will fall soon, hard, and probably permanently. Something will rise out of the ashes, but nothing like what we had.

Buckle up.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
It's untenable. This will fall soon, hard, and probably permanently. Something will rise out of the ashes, but nothing like what we had.

Buckle up.
It's already crumbling. I picked up a few cheap things for breakfast. A dozen eggs, oatmeal, yogurt and a loaf of bread. $19. We do pretty good but our grocery bill is unreal just for the two of us. Can't imagine what it's like for a family and low income.

I remember stories about how Germans had to have wheelbarrows full of money to pay for bread. At least it's a lot more convenient now to pay with a card..

Last edited:

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
It's already crumbling. I picked up a few cheap things for breakfast. A dozen eggs, oatmeal, yogurt and a loaf of bread. $19. We do pretty good but our grocery bill is unreal just for the two of us. Can't imagine what it's like for a family and low income.

I remember stories about how Germans has wheelbarrows full of money to pay for bread. It's a lot more convenient to pay with a card..
It is that bad. Hang in there. Grow a garden, fish and hunt.

xjx

Reaction score
I suppose the credit risk of America will continue to rise. Interest rates will increase. We will hot 100T in debt faster than a walnut rolling off a henhouse roof.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
No dimes. How about a free oven mitt.
iu
You wanna stick around for an oven mitt?

Steelr4evr

Reaction score

I really wish my folks had not sold the last 13 acres they owned in Pennsylvania. It had everything you would need to fully sustain yourself off the grid. Which we basically did,although we did have electricity. We cut wood in the spring for next year's winter that was used in a wood burning stove that heated the entire house to 90 degrees if you wanted. Even the well water was pure spring water that we could also get from a source that flowed out of the hill if you took away the electricity to the pump.

We grew everything under the sun,canned many things,had apple,pear,plum,cherry,maple and walnut trees. In summer you would have wild grapes,blackberries,raspberries,strawberries,huckleberries and hundreds of acres of corn.
Then an overabundance of game and a trout stream deep down in the valley.

This is the greatest advantage of living in the country with family who know the old way of living off of the land that has been passed down through generations. Just as the Native Americans did before we arrived.

If you grew up coddled in a big city and have zero skills in actually living on your own. You're screwed if you have to fend for yourself.

Stoney

Reaction score
This is the greatest advantage of living in the country with family who know the old way of living off of the land that has been passed down through generations. Just as the Native Americans did before we arrived.

If you grew up coddled in a big city and have zero skills in actually living on your own. You're screwed if you have to fend for yourself.
Pfft, if the **** ever hits the fan I could just google how to do that ****.

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
my oldest grand daughter (12) spent the night last night and wanted me to do chicken fingers and fries in the deep fryer last night, we also have a pot luck after church every Sunday and Deb wanted to do home made Chicken pot pie. $88 and some change for what she carried in with one trip. Gas is back up to over 3 bucks a gallon, property tax went up over a hundred bucks this year and my home owners went up over 700 dollars this year. every bill I have has gone up, from the power bill to streaming services

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
my oldest grand daughter (12) spent the night last night and wanted me to do chicken fingers and fries in the deep fryer last night, we also have a pot luck after church every Sunday and Deb wanted to do home made Chicken pot pie. $88 and some change for what she carried in with one trip. Gas is back up to over 3 bucks a gallon, property tax went up over a hundred bucks this year and my home owners went up over 700 dollars this year. every bill I have has gone up, from the power bill to streaming services
The problem is that far too many let their ideology control their thought process rather than the economic reality we see ourselves in, all the while admitting my conservative bias. But those extolling Bidenomics won't be swayed and will continue to vote blue even if their candidates are dumb as a rock.

Gas here is still $3.50+ and diesel is $4, my utilities have increase an average of 12% this last year, and even though the real estate market has cooled down, the assessment on my properties doesn't reflect that and taxes are increasing for next year. Even the beer I enjoy is up 10%.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We do that now, it will just be like the scamdemic all over again. We actually had things pretty great then, and we are more prepared today. At least we won’t need toilet paper this time. The wife ordered another 5 #10 cans of both powdered eggs AND milk in her Azure Standard order, should see it Friday. Also just picked up a newer Birkey water filter as a spare. Wish I could find a killer deal on some sodium batteries.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I never really understood the thought process behind this idea, and how it was thought to be helpful.
Yeah man...

I immediately rejected the concept and stopped looking into it further when I read that congresswoman Rashida Tlaib was in favor of it...

Full stop.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Wife and I have and/or will soon have the following:
  • Lots of acreage. To wit, 27 wooded acres in N. Georgia
  • Lots of stored and long-lasting food, including powdered milk, flour, brown sugar, rice, peanut butter, protein powder (great food source).
  • Neighbor with numerous guns and a LOT of ammo.
  • I of course don't have firearms since guns scare me but the neighbor is very generous.
  • A very large lake stocked with trout and bass just 8 miles away.
  • Two horses.
  • Well-water.
  • Septic tank.
  • Propane on property.
  • Gas generator.
  • Would love to get solar generator but those things are expensive!
If only I could overcome my debilitating fear or guns ...

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
wtf is your problem?

just got to Dolla Genrul

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Wife and I have and/or will soon have the following:
  • Lots of acreage. To wit, 27 wooded acres in N. Georgia
  • Lots of stored and long-lasting food, including powdered milk, flour, brown sugar, rice, peanut butter, protein powder (great food source).
  • Neighbor with numerous guns and a LOT of ammo.
  • I of course don't have firearms since guns scare me but the neighbor is very generous.
  • A very large lake stocked with trout and bass just 8 miles away.
  • Two horses.
  • Well-water.
  • Septic tank.
  • Propane on property.
  • Gas generator.
  • Would love to get solar generator but those things are expensive!
If only I could overcome my debilitating fear or guns ...
We currently no longer reside on the family’s ranch, but are less than one tank of fuel away if necessary. Our family plan is in a SHTF situation, my son and his women will load up their necessities and travel the 2 hours to us. We then will hole up through the first month or two. At that point we will return to the family ranch, collecting as we go. My brothers and sisters have the same plan, though I truly expect that not all of their spouses are on board or will make it. Some are controlled by their left leaning spouses, and further away than may be realistic to travel.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We currently no longer reside on the family’s ranch, but are less than one tank of fuel away if necessary. Our family plan is in a SHTF situation, my son and his women will load up their necessities and travel the 2 hours to us. We then will hole up through the first month or two. At that point we will return to the family ranch, collecting as we go. My brothers and sisters have the same plan, though I truly expect that not all of their spouses are on board or will make it. Some are controlled by their left leaning spouses, and further away than may be realistic to travel.

More for us.

Apocalypse hits, first stop? Dolla Genrel. Heard they are overloaded with healthy food.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I wish I still had guns, but those that weren’t lost in the boating accident of 2015, are back at the family ranch

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Apocalypse hits, I'm heading to Jimmy's neighbor's house.

oh, wait.

I'm in the free state of Florida. nevermind. we'll be fine.