• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Bell may skip mini camp but don't confuse with a holdout

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh...l-might-skip-steelers-minicamp-because-he-can

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer
PITTSBURGH -- Le'Veon Bell is recovering from groin surgery and is not under contract.

Those two reasons -- particularly the second -- could keep Bell out of Pittsburgh Steelers minicamp, which begins Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

He has the option to be with his team, and no doubt the Steelers wouldn't mind having him around. But NFLPA records confirm Bell has not signed his franchise tender. That's not unusual for players looking for long-term deals before the July 15 deadline for franchised players. It also absolves him from attending. He can't be fined since he's not technically a member of the Steelers.

Having the luxury of staying away is the only negotiating ploy a franchise player has. Players who sign the tender might give the team less incentive to work out a long-term deal, which the Steelers have made efforts to do.

This isn't a mini-holdout situation. ESPN reported in May that Bell visited the team facility to meet with officials, and the consensus was Bell looked good coming off the groin injury that worsened in the AFC title game and eventually required surgery.

It's more a natural course of business for franchise-tagged players. The Steelers don't need to see Bell on the field until training camp. They just need to see him healthy.

Bell is on record that he'd play on the $12.1 million franchise tag if necessary. Neither side wants that, even if a long-term deal worth $12 million per year is hefty for a running back.

Bell, despite his suspensions, is worth well above LeSean McCoy's $8 million per year. His ability as a rusher and receiver very well might get him above $10 million annually over four to five years.

Five others to watch during minicamp:

Alejandro Villanueva: He's also without a contract after opting not to sign his exclusive rights tender. He's looking for a long-term deal. Will he show up?

T.J. Watt: He looked athletic in OTAs. Now let's see how he does with pads on.

Sammie Coates: Finally healthy, expect Coates to come with an edge in camp. He must. The receiver room is too crowded.

Coty Sensabaugh: Can the free-agent acquisition provide much-needed depth at corner?

Vince Williams: New starting inside linebacker can take command of the position.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see Villanueva: holding out. He doesn't seem the type.

I can see Bell missing for multiple reasons mentioned.

I don't see this as a seasonal problem either case.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Fowler now reporting that Lev Bell is not allowed to attend mini camp as he isn't under contract.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Fowler now reporting that Lev Bell is not allowed to attend mini camp as he isn't under contract.

yep as he hasn't signed his tag. But I think this all again is resolved before the regular season..

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
They've got to do something with Bell and Villanueva, then they can go get Tuitt's deal done.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I hope both sides come to an agreement that is copable to both. Bell needs paid but the STEELERS need assurances of no SUSPENTION. I hope it's about a 7mill base with about 2.5million in additional incentive. Let's go front office

Salute the nation

±

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I'd like to see Big Al get done asap. He's certainly earned it. I'd like to see Bell as well. It would be nice to see him actually play am entire season.

Spike

Reaction score
Sounds like a holdout to me

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I hope both sides come to an agreement that is copable to both. Bell needs paid but the STEELERS need assurances of no SUSPENTION. I hope it's about a 7mill base with about 2.5million in additional incentive. Let's go front office

Salute the nation

±

And monkeys will fly out of my butt... We are talking here about a 10M base with at least 2 more in incentives. His franchise tag is the average number to negotiate, 12,5M

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
And monkeys will fly out of my butt... We are talking here about a 10M base with at least 2 more in incentives. His franchise tag is the average number to negotiate, 12,5M

Is that why the call you "monkey butt" ?? LoL J/K

I knew my numbers would be lowball but I'm a pretty conservative person. I trust the FO to get the numbers right and hopefully have several insentive laden clauses about on field / suspension / health / baby moma's / and that awful rap crap career of his. Our bases will be covered and LeVeon will have a GREAT season !!!!!! 4years 42.5 mill 19.5M guaranteed, I don't see 12mill a year.

Salute the nation

PS. I'm not a caprologist but still throw a number out there just for the hell of it.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
If I'm working his contract, it's going to be a big signing bonus. And it will be written, if he fails another drug test, and he is released because of it, he owes the Steelers the prorated portion of said signing bonus.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
If I'm working his contract, it's going to be a big signing bonus. And it will be written, if he fails another drug test, and he is released because of it, he owes the Steelers the prorated portion of said signing bonus.

think he would sign said verbiage?

my contract would be a big signing bonus and worded so that it would hurt us more on the back end than on the front end.

I would also have incentives put in for staying healthy and clean.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
think he would sign said verbiage?

my contract would be a big signing bonus and worded so that it would hurt us more on the back end than on the front end.

I would also have incentives put in for staying healthy and clean.
He has incentive to sign a long term deal as opposed to playing on his franchise tag, and the Steelers have incentive to do this since he's had drug issues for 2 of his seasons.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Steeler Nation mobile app

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
If a deal gets done, signing bonus will be at least $25 mil. As that's what he would receive if tagged this year and next. All the talk about what he gets per year is a red herring. If he wants to be highest paid at his position, he are add is under the tag....by a huge sum. Shady McCoy is getting $8 mil/year

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I don't care what they pay him as long as there is some sort of drug clause. Hopefully i am wrong, but i just don't see him staying clean. He just seems really immature

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If it walks like a duck.jpg

And talks like a duck.jpg

Could it be a duck.jpg