• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Bell long term??

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Report: Steelers deep in talks to lock up Bell on market-setting deal

David P. Woods*Mar 2, 2017 5:09 PM

The*Pittsburgh Steelers*are deep in negotiations with running back*Le'Veon Bell*on a long-term deal,*NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala*reports.

Bell was given the franchise tag earlier this week, but the Steelers apparently want to lock him up for more than one year.

And they are prepared to open their wallets to do it, with Kinkhabwala reporting that there's a very good chance Bell will set the market for running backs when he signs his new contract.

Technically, Bell is already the highest-paid running back under the one-year, $12-million franchise tag. In fact, with the recent news that*Adrian Peterson*and*Jamaal Charles*are hitting the market, there's a $4-million gap between Bell and the next highest-paid tailback.

But the tag offers no long-term security, and Bell surely wants to lock in big salaries for several seasons.

Bell has suggested in his rap lyrics that he*wants to be paid $15 million per year. He probably won't touch that figure if he does a long-term deal with the Steelers, but he might get close.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

ark steel

Reaction score
Seems like he is guaranteed $12m this year and, if tagged again next year, that, probably, goes up. Wouldn't that put any deal needed, at least, $26m or so in guarantees?

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
As good as he is, I can't see them going higher than $10 million per unless they have a pretty good out for drugs and after 2 years.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see what he gets. I am glad they are being aggressive.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like he is guaranteed $12m this year and, if tagged again next year, that, probably, goes up. Wouldn't that put any deal needed, at least, $26m or so in guarantees?

with that in mind, I'm hoping for no more than 4 Years, 45M with 26M guaranteed and very heavy loaded up front so if he screws up he can be cut after year two without leaving a bad dead cap situation

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
One thing that I believe should discourage a substantial amount of money and a deal longer than 3 seasons - Tomlin has shown that he will "run the wheels off" a top-tier RB, including Bell. The track record for RB's who carry the ball 370 times or more in a season - including playoffs - is grim.

http://www.footballdocs.com/running_back_carries.html

Do we have any doubt but that Tomlin runs Bell at least 370 times next year if he is healthy? He ran the ball 326 times last year after missing the first three games.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
One thing that I believe should discourage a substantial amount of money and a deal longer than 3 seasons - Tomlin has shown that he will "run the wheels off" a top-tier RB, including Bell. The track record for RB's who carry the ball 370 times or more in a season - including playoffs - is grim.

Do we have any doubt but that Tomlin runs Bell at least 370 times next year if he is healthy? He ran the ball 326 times last year after missing the first three games.

the Steelers seem very interested in drafting a mid-round RB (gallman, hunt maybe) so perhaps tomlin learned not to "run the wheels off"

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
the Steelers seem very interested in drafting a mid-round RB (gallman, hunt maybe) so perhaps tomlin learned not to "run the wheels off"

think that is more to do with a mediocre third option and a free agent second

south dakota STEEL

Forefather
Reaction score

Maybe he's saving D Will?

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers do need Bell, the injuries though....Tomlin does like to run his backs. The 2015 injury was just bad luck. Perhaps the suspensions he has served have kinda prolonged him for the last half of the season too. Bell is really versatile and can make a lot happen. I think the Steelers would do it for $12mil a season

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
that contract would absolutely need wording to give the Steelers protection in case Bell fails another drug test (for weed).
If Bell didn't agree to that wording, then the Steelers would be wise to end negotiations, as it would/could indicate that Bell has no intention of laying off the ganja.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
that contract would absolutely need wording to give the Steelers protection in case Bell fails another drug test (for weed).
If Bell didn't agree to that wording, then the Steelers would be wise to end negotiations, as it would/could indicate that Bell has no intention of laying off the ganja.

It helps him with his art, i.e., rapping.

What rapper does not smoke weed???

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Spike

Reaction score
Ben laid down the law - give me my weapons or I RETIRE!

ayep

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Ben laid down the law - give me my weapons or I RETIRE!

ayep

wish he had been smart enough to say fix the Defense or I retire

Spike

Reaction score
wish he had been smart enough to say fix the Defense or I retire

Waste of time. There is no fixing the defense - you'd have to get rid of everybody and start over from scratch. 10 years might not be long enough.

Just throw the stiffs out there and try to hold teams under 30 points. You need 40 to win in the playoffs anyway. ALL OFFENSE is the only way to win

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I wouldn't make that deal no way no how. Never mind his weed issues. He's ****** 3/4 used up. He hasn't finished a season in the last three years. Look at AP. Baaaaaaaad idea.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
I wouldn't make that deal no way no how. Never mind his weed issues. He's ****** 3/4 used up. He hasn't finished a season in the last three years. Look at AP. Baaaaaaaad idea.

Are you aware that AP is seven years older than Bell?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The White Mamba aka Coolietard

I thought the "White Mamba" was reffering to a part of Coolie's anatomy, the part that's seeping........ On a positive note though Coolie does keep us informed on the UH product and I thank him for that.

Salute the nation

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Waste of time. There is no fixing the defense - you'd have to get rid of everybody and start over from scratch. 10 years might not be long enough.

Just throw the stiffs out there and try to hold teams under 30 points. You need 40 to win in the playoffs anyway. ALL OFFENSE is the only way to win

like ... Atlanta did?