• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Bell contract language

Slaine

Still wants to trade Fu for a third
Forefather
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether it's possible to build language into contracts that would force the player to give back signing bonus if they are suspended / put into the NFL drug program? Does the CBA forbid that or would players refuse to sign?

It seems to me that we would happily re-sign Bell at a market rate but he is two smokes away from a 10 game ban. That's not affordable to the team when you're being paid to be the guy.

How else does the team protect itself against Bell being a dumbass...again.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
By not signing him long term is how the team protects themselves.

ark steel

Reaction score
The only (well, maybe not the only) is that you will be competing against people who may be willing to include less strict language and/or none of it, at all.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Or possibly having a heavily insentive based contract which could be achieved by being on the field. Obviously there can only be so much incentive because of the physical danger of the game and extra of the position.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
You could spread is signing bonus over several years with annual roster bonuses that stipulate they are
received if no further suspensions occur.

Slaine

Forefather
Reaction score
You could spread is signing bonus over several years with annual roster bonuses that stipulate they are
received if no further suspensions occur.

I like that idea. I just wasn't sure whether it was legal as part of the CBA.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Steelers, Brown begin talks on long-term deal

Michael McClymont*Feb 16, 2017 2:08 PM

Antonio Brown*is going to get paid, and likely by the*Pittsburgh Steelers.

General manager Kevin Colbert told reporters Thursday that negotiations on a long-term deal have begun, as relayed by*Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Colbert added that locking down one of the top receivers in the game is a "priority" for the team.

"I can say unequivocally we want Antonio Brown to retire as a Steeler, just as we want*Le'Veon Bell*to retire as a Steeler," Colbert said,*according to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Brown's current contract is set to expire at the end of the 2017 season. He would be a marquee unrestricted free agent heading into 2018.

He's also been criminally underpaid; Brown played the 2015 season with a $1-million base salary, 2016 with a $1.275-million contract, and has a restructured $4.71-million deal for 2017.

He led the NFL in receiving yards in 2014, placed second in 2015, and finished fifth with 1,284 this past season.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
lock him so we have the necessary cash for 4 YEAR Deal for bell, something similar to what murray got.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Sell the bank for our three year window..........................

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Sell the bank for our three year window..........................

Salute the nation

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
Well he either signs that or i franchise tag him each year.

the problem with tagging him every year is after year two it becomes uneconomical. he would get the average of the top five paid backs or 120% of his last year salary. The other thing is I think if a player gets suspended his salary or at least a portion of it gets sent to the league, either way the team has to pony up the dough.

He needs to sign a contract that states if he get suspended again for weed he has to pay back his signing bonus, and there will be no guaranteed money.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether it's possible to build language into contracts that would force the player to give back signing bonus if they are suspended / put into the NFL drug program? Does the CBA forbid that or would players refuse to sign?

It seems to me that we would happily re-sign Bell at a market rate but he is two smokes away from a 10 game ban. That's not affordable to the team when you're being paid to be the guy.

How else does the team protect itself against Bell being a dumbass...again.

Actually, because he was suspended the first time for a DWI and not substance abuse (different language), and also with the agreement that took his suspension from 4 to 3 games, IF he is suspended for failing a drug test, it would be 4 games. But I'll remind the board again, he has yet to FAIL a drug test, he missed one, but hasn't FAILED one yet.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
the problem with tagging him every year is after year two it becomes uneconomical. he would get the average of the top five paid backs or 120% of his last year salary. The other thing is I think if a player gets suspended his salary or at least a portion of it gets sent to the league, either way the team has to pony up the dough.

He needs to sign a contract that states if he get suspended again for weed he has to pay back his signing bonus, and there will be no guaranteed money.

That's the whole objective. Simple if you're committed to walking the line.

Slaine

Forefather
Reaction score
I did wonder...

Collective Bargaining Agreement said:
Drug or Steroid Policy Violations. Player Contracts may not contain individually negotiated provisions for forfeiture relating to violations of the Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances or the NFL Policy and Program on Substances of Abuse, or for failing any drug test. A player suspended by the League pursuant to either of those policies for a period encompassing regular season or postseason games shall be required to forfeit any Forfeitable Salary Allocations on a proportionate weekly basis.

You're not allowed to add that into any contract. It makes it really difficult to pay someone when you're unsure whether they're going to be playing for you or sitting on the sidelines.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Incentive laced as to being in the field of play. Guaranteed money % recouperable for lost time not injury related. Pretty simple.

Salute the nation