• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ayers scores! Coolie on cloud 9

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
He gets open. Not big or fast, but competitive with some moves.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
lol coach loves him some troll

coach can suck it

His longest reception came on a quick slant where he caught the ball, stopped quickly and darted up field for the 1st down. His TD reception was a similar route but he went father across the field and lost his coverage in the mess in the middle of the field. I also like how he adjusted after screwing up in the 1st half by not getting his second foot in on what should have been a nice gain, by toe tapping both feet on a similar route late in the 4th quarter (even though a holding call brought it back)

His running plays could have been better, but no blocking on the first and the DL blew through to blow up the second for a loss.

He is not blazing fast, but his speed is much better than his injury slowed 40 times wold indicate. Plus he is quick as hell....

madinsomniac

Reaction score
The difference on an uncontested deep route between a guy with 4.4 speed and 4.7 speed is roughly 2 yards on a 4 second play... beating a bump cleanly at the line can mitigate that, as can a shift in direction that make the Cb change direction or stop. Its why Speed is a great threat, but not the end all say all with Wrs... Quickness and agility are by far the most important qualities

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Receiver is the only position I feel comfortable enough to really judge players, since it was the position I played. Ayres is not playing like a rookie in his second game. The game and situations are not too big for him. He doesn't play the game tight, he plays the game hard. The PI may have been ticky tack, but it was sold by the player. Something this team doesn't do that the Ravens do well. Sell the PI for free yardage.

I love his hands, route running, and shiftiness. He's fast enough to get behind the coverage. He looks to me that he can develop into a complete receiver. It says a lot about this team's coaching, that Ayres isn't just a slot guy. Coming into the league, he was viewed strictly as a return guy/slot receiver. It was a short sighted view, as he has running skills, and the team is playing him at the outside X position, just like AB.

This is a seventh rounder, and on the field right now, he does not look like a 7th rounder. The eye test, to me, he looks like a crafty vet.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
but a route runner can get open for some deep shots by setting up the CB and making a second move to get behind him....

Oh absolutely. Wasn't a knock on him. AB isn't even a deep threat in the classic sense...a great route runner with some quicks and shiftiness. Smarts, awareness, toughness and instincts...that's where the money is. I think AB, Eli, Ayers and Cobi all have that.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Well let's be honest. The kid did more with his very small opportunity than Dri Archer did with a much bigger one. With all his speed he was an unpolished receiver and way too small to play RB. I would keep Ayers active and give him a hat if numbers allowed. AB, Roger's and DHB get for sure and then it's murky after that. I'd assume Hamilton cause he has been active way more. Comes down to Coates and Ayers. I'd vote Ayers. Coates seems to have lost confidence.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
I was pleased with Ayers, Rogers, and Hamilton. A few weeks ago the receiving corp was questionable, and now with DHB back in the mix, this should be fun to watch.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Going to be very interesting to see who gets a hat next week. Real interesting

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Going to be very interesting to see who gets a hat next week. Real interesting

Yes as DHB is back too.

What do they usually have active 5? 6?

You go

Antonio
Hamilton
DHB
Rogers
Ayers

Then Green /Jesse James

with Grimble and Coates inactive.......

SteelerAl

Reaction score
DHB should start on the outside along AB. Obviously Eli starts in the slot. Ayers would be option #4 for me. Coates is relegated to special teams with Hamilton unfortunately the odd man out.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
DHB should start on the outside along AB. Obviously Eli starts in the slot. Ayers would be option #4 for me. Coates is relegated to special teams with Hamilton unfortunately the odd man out.

should he?

I would go with whoever is showing the best separation in practice between DHB/Hamilton/Ayers.

If that happens to be Ayers? give him the start...

SteelerAl

Reaction score
should he?

I would go with whoever is showing the best separation in practice between DHB/Hamilton/Ayers.

If that happens to be Ayers? give him the start...

DHB should start. I'm talking about outside WR. We need something resembling a deep threat opposite AB. I love what Ayers has shown so far but he is best suited for Eli Rogers-type role and we already have that.

But they will mix & match personnel. Give AB 65 snaps, DHB 30, Eli 40 and Ayers 15.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I know this, if they try and sneak Ayers back to the practice squad he will be gone. He has shown way to much for them to try. He will be on the active roster for the rest of his Steeler career. lets hope it is a long one

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...ammie-coates-still-hamstrung-injured-fingers/

Even through Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Sammie Coates dressed for the team’s Sunday home game against the Cleveland Browns the second-year Auburn product failed to play any snaps on offense or special teams. That’s probably not too surprising, however, being as Coates was limited all last week during practice due to a hamstring injury that he has been dealing with.

On Monday, Coates reportedly indicated that while his hamstring injury is “coming along”, his injured fingers won’t be 100 percent until after the season is over, according to Ray Fittipaldo of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Coates, who suffered two broken fingers on the same hand in the Steelers Week 5 game against the New York Jets, has caught just two passes for 14 yards since sustaining those injuries. The wide receiver caught 19 passes for 421 yards and two touchdowns in the Steelers first five games of the season with five of those resulting in gains of 41 yards or more.

As the Steelers prepare to host the Miami Dolphins in the Wild Card round of the playoffs, you really have to wonder if Coates will even dress for that game being as veteran Darrius Heyward-Bey has now returned from his foot injury and rookie Demarcus Ayers has emerged and is contributing after being promoted from the team’s practice squad a few weeks ago. Coates’ only redeeming quality right now is the fact that he’s played well on special teams while dealing with his injured fingers.

By the sound of things, Coates might have to have his fingers surgically repaired after the season is over. In the meantime, while he can probably be counted on to contribute on special teams, it’s hard seeing him playing much, if any, on offense moving forward into the postseason if he ultimately is allowed to dress.

Needless to say it’s a been a very disappointing season when it comes to Coates and especially considering that it looked like he would be a legitimate deep threat five games into the 2016 schedule.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Keep him inactive. AB, Eli, DHB, Hamilton and Ayers will do anyway

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
anyone else notice that the only Ayers jersey on the NFL site is his old #82...******* idiots