• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Artie Burns earns top grades

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He'll YEA !!!!!! The kid is amazing and a rookie to boot. GLAD we got him.

Salute the nation

ark steel

Reaction score
meh, still not impressed with PFF. Nice that Burns got some recognition, though.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
PFF is a nice tool, but it isn't *the* grading system the make it out to be. Either way, it is nice to see Burns have a very good season in comparison to other first-round cornerbacks.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
PFF is a nice tool, but it isn't *the* grading system the make it out to be. Either way, it is nice to see Burns have a very good season in comparison to other first-round cornerbacks.

Not to mention the Steelers weren't picking high in the draft.

A good draft especially when you factor in where they selected.

ark steel

Reaction score

I think, for the most part, if you wanted to pick the top 10 at a position, they would be close-ish, but with some discrepancies within the group. If they have people rated pretty close together, I'd take it with a grain of salt that #12 is better than #20 or #8 is better than #12, etc. I'd expect that, at the extremes (2 or 3 best or worst) they are pretty close.

My problem is that we don't, really, know how they grade each play. Suppose it is a pass play and the DB is lined up, the play happens, but the pass goes to the other side and comes no where near him. How is that graded? Without knowing what that DB's exact assignment was, we can't know whether he did what he was supposed to do, or not. Suppose he did everything exactly like he was supposed to. Seems like that should be a positive grade. If he is way out of position, it should be a negative grade. Suppose he did everything exactly right, this caused the WR to change his route according to the options in the play call and for the QB to choose another option to pass to. how is that graded? Add onto that, is we don't know the experience or bias in the individuals doing the grading, nor the QC associated with the grading system.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
I think, for the most part, if you wanted to pick the top 10 at a position, they would be close-ish, but with some discrepancies within the group. If they have people rated pretty close together, I'd take it with a grain of salt that #12 is better than #20 or #8 is better than #12, etc. I'd expect that, at the extremes (2 or 3 best or worst) they are pretty close.

My problem is that we don't, really, know how they grade each play. Suppose it is a pass play and the DB is lined up, the play happens, but the pass goes to the other side and comes no where near him. How is that graded? Without knowing what that DB's exact assignment was, we can't know whether he did what he was supposed to do, or not. Suppose he did everything exactly like he was supposed to. Seems like that should be a positive grade. If he is way out of position, it should be a negative grade. Suppose he did everything exactly right, this caused the WR to change his route according to the options in the play call and for the QB to choose another option to pass to. how is that graded? Add onto that, is we don't know the experience or bias in the individuals doing the grading, nor the QC associated with the grading system.

It is an extremely flawed process. They don't know the coverages, blocking assignments etc. One person working for them is going to grade a play differently than the next guy. And of course all they are doing is giving players a plus or minus on each play without making any adjustment for the difficulty of the assignment. So a good left tackle who is asked to take on Von Miller all by himself will be getting minuses left and right for allowing pressures whereas a terrible LT in the same situation getting lots of help (and maybe even having the OC adjust play-calling to compensate) will get good marks.

They now produce grades for players performance in the first half before halftime is over. How is that even possible? They don't have access to the All-22 at that point.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
They now produce grades for players performance in the first half before halftime is over. How is that even possible? They don't have access to the All-22 at that point.

Yep, it completely takes away what they claim with grading the all-22 video.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, I won't praise or hiss a player based on PFF grades

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I appreciate PFF in general for being able to separate bad from good from great at a high level. But what I don't like is the way we talk about them. "Artie Burns among the top-graded first round picks". What? At least put "according to Pro Football Focus". This is misleading the way it is currently presented - it assumes these grades are just universally agreed upon and stamped as official or something. But they are not the NFL's or teams' officially stamped player performance evaluation method; it's just the analysis of whatever analysts employed by this one company. There's nothing official about it. This grinds my gears that because people would rather not do in-depth evaluations themselves, they just resort to using PFF and acting like we all just agreed at some point that their grades are the objective truth of ranking players. Come on. Give some indication in your headline or article that this is purely subjective.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I appreciate PFF in general for being able to separate bad from good from great at a high level. But what I don't like is the way we talk about them. "Artie Burns among the top-graded first round picks". What? At least put "according to Pro Football Focus". This is misleading the way it is currently presented - it assumes these grades are just universally agreed upon and stamped as official or something. But they are not the NFL's or teams' officially stamped player performance evaluation method; it's just the analysis of whatever analysts employed by this one company. There's nothing official about it. This grinds my gears that because people would rather not do in-depth evaluations themselves, they just resort to using PFF and acting like we all just agreed at some point that their grades are the objective truth of ranking players. Come on. Give some indication in your headline or article that this is purely subjective.

You did read the article, right?

The folks at Pro Football Focus have their grades up for all 31 first-round draft picks,...

Here is what Pro Football Focus had to say about Burns: