• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Addressing the elephant in the room: the CB position.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
To this day there is only three species of elephant saved from extinction

You have the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant and the Asian elephant (also known as the Indian elephant).

The Steelers also have their version of the elephant at the corner-back position. And no other position comes with as many question marks for the Steelers. Like every other team in the off-season the Steelers had their share of comings and goings.Some might view Antwon Blake as a addition by subtraction. But the fact is the move resulted from a depletion of field experience at the position. Ditto Cortez Allen and Brandon Boykin.

tusk tusk now let me bring on the question marks........

*1.Will Ross Cockrell be able to man down the outside position full time, being only a part time starter last year?

*2.Senquez Golson is being force-fed time in the slot coming off a rookie season marked by injury. For a team arguably close to obtaining the ultimate team prize, his lack of experience and injury status moving forward is concerning to say the least.

*3.How long will it take Artie Burns to be a viable option come game day? Steelers historically have not thrown their defensive rookies to the wolves. To start seems doesn't seem like a probability. But beyond that who knows.

*4. Can Doran Grant or Donald Washington be a Cockrell like pleasant surprise contributors, or are we just throwing peanuts to a hungry elephant?

It is curious that with three experienced corners being shown the door, the Steelers didn't opt to bring in one veteran corner. Obviously no stones were un-turned in the draft process of available corners visited with and discussed. But the fact remains a lot of questions and very little experience. I won't pretend to not desire a another option being brought in come final cuts.

Last edited:

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Here's a thought but will never happen. See if Cortez Allen is willing to take less money. The Steelers tried to get him to take a pay cut but he elected to see what the market would offer. So far $0. League minimum with no guaranteed money. Get him into camp and see if he can show some of that promise that got him that big contract a few years back.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
It's going to be very difficult for any individual cornerback to perform worse than Blake. With that said, it's possible that the entire group looks worse without an easy target for opposing offenses. Right now, the Steelres defensive backfield seems to be Gay-Cockrell-Golson or bust. Maybe Burns sneaks in there and steals a job, but that's difficult to envision to start the season. Grant doesn't seem to be on the radar and could have trouble making the team again and I just don't see many potential impact guys buried on the depth chart. Got to hope for that front seven to generate enough pressure to help out the DBs.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Here's a thought but will never happen. See if Cortez Allen is willing to take less money. The Steelers tried to get him to take a pay cut but he elected to see what the market would offer. So far $0. League minimum with no guaranteed money. Get him into camp and see if he can show some of that promise that got him that big contract a few years back.

Allen has a chronic knee issue.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score

Bad knee; chronic loss of cartilage and mentally so fragile you're left just waiting for the meltdown. If you want a vet CB, there have to be better options out there for a one year rental - even at vet minimum.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I don't view it as a cornerback issue. It is a defensive backfield unit. That unit has to improve. there are 5-6 important parts. Two are locked down with Gay and Mitchell. The remaining cast for the 3-5 other parts are Cockrell (looks decent), Golden might be serviceable. Now you get into the unknown. But you have two seconds in Golson and Davis and a first in Burns. I think there is a very good chance that the unit will be better. It will also help that Tuitt very well could take off this year and Dupree as well. Added pressure will mask an inexperienced DB unit.
I think they should Role with Heyward, Tuitt, Dupree, Shazier, Timmons and then rotate Harrison, Moates and Jones. McCullers and Hargrave at NT. Bring it. That will really help any growing pains at DB.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't care too much who they play in the secondary. They won't be any worse than what we put on the field the last 2 years.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't view it as a cornerback issue. It is a defensive backfield unit. That unit has to improve. there are 5-6 important parts. Two are locked down with Gay and Mitchell. The remaining cast for the 3-5 other parts are Cockrell (looks decent), Golden might be serviceable. Now you get into the unknown. But you have two seconds in Golson and Davis and a first in Burns. I think there is a very good chance that the unit will be better. It will also help that Tuitt very well could take off this year and Dupree as well. Added pressure will mask an inexperienced DB unit.
I think they should Role with Heyward, Tuitt, Dupree, Shazier, Timmons and then rotate Harrison, Moates and Jones. McCullers and Hargrave at NT. Bring it. That will really help any growing pains at DB.

Steelers obviously view it as a corner-back issue as they brought in every CB under the sun for a pre-draft visit.

FS and SS have starting experience, the slot at CB has no starting experience.

Cockrell looked decent in a limited role expand that and it is a who knows.

Yes there is a chance that this unit as a whole improves. It is of equal chance that it doesn't.

Bringing in vet experience at CB sure would help relieve that unknown. At least at the very minimum give them a player who has starting experience.

Late in the season we know that experience can be oh so valuable.

I think the DL is more impact ready than OLBer.

As Dupree is still a unknown, Jarvis is somewhat a wish we didn't know. Harrison is fading. Moats is barely serviceable. Hell outside of corner that position would be the biggest concern. But it at least comes with some experience.

Which brings us back to the elephant in the room.

Last edited:

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
To this day there is only three species of elephant saved from extinction

You have the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant and the Asian elephant (also known as the Indian elephant).

The Steelers also have their version of the elephant at the corner-back position. And no other position comes with as many question marks for the Steelers. Like every other team in the off-season the Steelers had their share of comings and goings.Some might view Antwon Blake as a addition by subtraction. But the fact is the move resulted from a depletion of field experience at the position. Ditto Cortez Allen and Brandon Boykin.

tusk tusk now let me bring on the question marks........

*1.Will Ross Cockrell be able to man down the outside position full time, being only a part time starter last year?

*2.Senquez Golson is being force-fed time in the slot coming off a rookie season marked by injury. For a team arguably close to obtaining the ultimate team prize, his lack of experience and injury status moving forward is concerning to say the least.

*3.How long will it take Artie Burns to be a viable option come game day? Steelers historically have not thrown their defensive rookies to the wolves. To start seems doesn't seem like a probability. But beyond that who knows.

*4. Can Doran Grant or Donald Washington be a Cockrell like pleasant surprise contributors, or are we just throwing peanuts to a hungry elephant?

It is curious that with three experienced corners being shown the door, the Steelers didn't opt to bring in one veteran corner. Obviously no stones were un-turned in the draft process of available corners visited with and discussed. But the fact remains a lot of questions and very little experience. I won't pretend to not desire a another option being brought in come final cuts.

A+ on that preamble, brotha

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm saying this now. Cockrell will surprise some people this season, I think he's gonna be fun to watch. The rest of the cb's are hard to say cause they are all rookies except for Senquez. But he didnt play. We know what we are getting out of Will Gay, so it'll be interesting

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm saying this now. Cockrell will surprise some people this season, I think he's gonna be fun to watch.

I have noticed over the years that camp is more fun if you have a favorite that you root for. You see that on this board too, you like Cockrell, Coolie likes Ayers, Bermuda likes Jarvis...etc etc.

jus funnin' there Kevdog

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
We came in 30th in pass defense, and this is facing seven back-up QB's last season.

I think the best way to look to our corners is not how they start the season, but how they finish it.

Burns and Golson have to be able to add something by November, or it could cost us big time.

An injury to Gay would be nearly catastrophic. He's our only solid guy in the slot or the outside.

Reaction score
Every time Burns gets burned and he gets booed, I'm going to tell my wife (because I watch all the games with her) "they aren't booing...They're chanting 'Boo-urns." She'll believe me too because in the history of our marriage I've never once lied to my wife...:sneakiness:

BzjaHObCIAALoJ9.jpg

str8liner

Reaction score
Elephant looking pretty phat now...

I see many 18 yard cushions on 3rd and 15 in our future....

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Based on what? Day 4 of training camp?

true, yeah let us not go to extremes

early out of the gates Steelers Nation

maybe Golson's injury is minor...... or it causes them to bring in a vet

let us see

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I have noticed over the years that camp is more fun if you have a favorite that you root for. You see that on this board too, you like Cockrell, Coolie likes Ayers, Bermuda likes Jarvis...etc etc.

jus funnin' there Kevdog

I'd root hard for Jarvis cause I'm a UGA guy. But I think Jarvis is what he is. Cockrell's play time last season was pretty impressive. The kid has potential