• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

AB wants the ball

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Steelers’ Brown not happy as decoy

By Dale Lolley
September 21, 2016
Image description
Associated Press
Steelers receiver Antonio Brown can’t come down with a pass from Ben Roethlisberger as Bengals strong safety Shawn Williams defends in the first half Sunday at Heinz Field. Brown caught four passes and was upset with his role in the offense, despite the victory.
Image description
PITTSBURGH – The resident Canada goose season in Pennsylvania opened Sept. 1, meaning more than one decoy was put out across the state.

Steelers receiver Antonio Brown was unhappy about the one that was on display last Sunday at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh’s 24-16 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals.

Brown, the NFL’s leading receiver over the past three seasons with 375 receptions, felt he was used as more of a decoy at times in the win over the Bengals, when he had just four receptions for 39 yards, his lowest totals in a game started by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger since Brown had just two receptions for 22 yards in a Dec. 30, 2012, game against Cleveland.

His displeasure bubbled over early in the third quarter when he raised his hands and stomped off the field in disgust after Roethlisberger threw incomplete on a deep pass down the sideline to Sammie Coates.

It was a moment similar to one he had last season when Landry Jones was filling in for Roethlisberger.

Guard Ramon Foster quickly diffused the situation, talking to Brown as they walked off the field. And Roethlisberger and Brown spoke between series regarding the outburst on the sideline. Neither feels it will be an issue for the Steelers (2-0) this week when they travel to Philadelphia (2-0) Sunday.

“I’m pretty sure they kissed and made up,” said Foster jokingly.

Roethlisberger said he didn’t take offense.

“I’ve been in the league long enough to know every single receiver is open on every single play,” Roethlisberger said. “That’s just what you’re used to. But, he’s the best in the world, and we won the game. That’s most important. I think that’s most important to him, too.”

Brown understands that. He knows the Bengals were devoted to keeping him from impacting the game in the same way the Steelers were with Cincinnati’s star receiver A.J. Green, who was limited to two catches for 38 yards.

But it doesn’t quell the competitiveness in Brown. He still wants the ball.

“As a football player, as a wide receiver, you’ve got to always want (the ball),” Brown said. “If you don’t want it, you shouldn’t be out there. I do a good job of letting my teammates know that I want it. I’m still out there causing havoc, drawing double teams and causing other guys to get open. It’s all about playing team football and winning a championship.”

Brown’s issues against the Bengals weren’t all about how they were defending him. The heavy rains that fell throughout the game caused Roethlisberger to misfire on several precision passes to his star wideout. And Brown also had an uncharacteristic drop on a third-down play in the first half.

“I didn’t have my best game. I put the ball on the ground, trying to run before I caught it,” he admitted. “Fundamentally, I’ve got to play a lot better.

“There are some opportunities out there that I have to take advantage of, but we’re winning, so that will come.”

Roethlisberger’s message to Brown during the game was simple and direct. The quarterback obviously wasn’t happy he wasn’t having his best game either.

Roethlisberger finished with 19 completions in 37 attempts for 259 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions.

“He just told me to shut up,” Brown said. “I kept telling him how open I am and how I need to get the ball. He was like, ‘AB, shut up.’ I get involved in the game emotionally. (Center Maurkice) Pouncey will tell me, ‘AB, it’s all right.’ He knows how I get in games.”

So does Roethlisberger, which is why he didn’t view Brown’s actions as the receiver trying to show him up or embarrass him.

“He’ll get his catches, he’ll get his yards, he’ll help us win football games and he’s helping us even when he’s catching three or four balls, because he’s taking a lot of attention away from other guys,” Roethlisberger said. “The tight ends were open in the middle because he’s attracting two and three sets of eyes, so he’s helping us win even when he’s not catching balls.”

That’s been head coach Mike Tomlin’s message to his star receiver, too.

Brown surpassed John Stallworth’s 537 receptions with his four catches against the Bengals to move into third place on the team’s all-time list. Up next are Heath Miller (592) and Hines Ward (1,000).

They all have something on their résumés, however, Brown does not – a Super Bowl championship.

“I’m there to promote, as a team, us winning,” Brown said. “The guys like John Stallworth and those other guys on that list, they have a Super Bowl and did something special for the city. Coach Tomlin is always letting me know that’s what we’re hunting in the midst of all those numbers and things.”

Odds and end zones
Receiver Markus Wheaton, who missed the first two games with a shoulder injury, was a full participant in practice Wednesday. … Fullback Roosevelt Nix (back) was a partial participant. … Center Cody Wallace (knee) and corner Senquez Golson (foot) were out. … Steelers running back DeAngelo Williams, 33, who leads the NFL with 237 rushing yards, is the oldest player in NFL history to have 200 rushing yards in his team’s first two games.

Nothing to see here AB wouldn't be who he is if he didn't think he was open every play..thought Ben handled it well also..

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Fluke deal last week. Poor weather, bad throws in the rain and the double coverage cost AB some plays. He did have one notable drop, however when there isn't a downpour I'm willing to bet he will almost always get his. I expect a big game from him this weekend as usual.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Of course he wants the ball, but the victory far more important. Would he be happier with 20 targets, 10 catches, a few picks because Ben is forcing it into coverage and a loss? I would hope, and think not.

chipped ham

Reaction score
Fluke deal last week. Poor weather, bad throws in the rain and the double coverage cost AB some plays. He did have one notable drop, however when there isn't a downpour I'm willing to bet he will almost always get his. I expect a big game from him this weekend as usual.

The bungholes also, usually, do a pretty good job of containing AB. However, when they're allowed to tackle him before the ball gets there all the time, it makes your job a little easier.

Wingman

Reaction score
The bungholes also, usually, do a pretty good job of containing AB. However, when they're allowed to tackle him before the ball gets there all the time, it makes your job a little easier.

well said and i fully agree

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Brown needs to get it, he is one f the best receivers in the league he has plenty of endorsements, nice contract, play to win will you. I did not see AB point to himself when the ball hits him in the chest, and drops pass. The game was played under sloppy conditions, Ben was not accurate but others made plays to win the game. AB will get more than his share of balls his way, be happy for two TE making great catches and Coates as well plus pat the work horse Williams on the back for two great games. Come on AB. 2-0

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
AB can whine all he wants. He's proven to be a diva like most WR's. He's damn good, too.. This past weekend, he would have had a long catch for a possible TD if the ball wouldn't have slipped out of Ben's hands and then picked off. He also would have had a 20+ yard catch if he would have caught the perfectly thrown ball that bounced off his chest when the defender was still almost 5 yards away. Who knows what he would have turned that into if he made the easy catch. Ben had a tough day. The team won and AB should be happy. If not, too damn bad.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I like Ben's comment " every WR is open on every play of the game".

Salute the nation

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
Ben was off. No biggie. Still wondering why he wasn't wearing a glove on his throwing hand.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
We won the game, to ******* bad if he didn't get his stats. I don't hear Harrison complaining he's not getting enough chances to get sacks. We're winning, shut up and be happy, it was one ******* game

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Brown can blow it out his ***, for all I care.

The dude has averaged north of 100 catches since 2013, and, during that time, this is the fourth or fifth time he has publicly cried about not getting the ball enough in a mere game or two. It's just ridiculous

Seriously, the guy had 120+ catches last season, has a great week one against the Redskins, only to start running his mouth after a low stat game in a bad weather week 2 win.

In the context of overall production, his whining has become excessive, even by star WR standards.

He just needs to shut the **** up and do his job, as he is being more than well financially compensated to run routes, whether the ball goes his way or not.

Seriously, could you imagine what a pain in the *** Brown would become if Roethlisberger actually missed all but a few games in a season?

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Not seeing the big deal here. He is the top WR in the game he wants to stay in his groove.

He isn't smoking weed getting suspended, he isn't holding out. He isn't causing a distraction enough to lose a game.

He wants to produce, for me he is just being competitive.

And in the process if he has a little whine here and there, shrugs no biggie.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Not seeing the big deal here. He is the top WR in the game he wants to stay in his groove.

He isn't smoking weed getting suspended, he isn't holding out. He isn't causing a distraction enough to lose a game.

.....So why make it public.

An article the other day someone posted here about Bettis is a telling tale. I believe he stated the year they won the SB that that team was not the best Steelers team he played on but it was the best team first team he played on. Everyone was about the team. Might be something there for AB to think about. He knowns he will get his balls through the course of the season. Might not be the record number he wants though.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score

Brown definitely wants to produce, but given his overall production, his whining after almost every rare occasion he has an off week from statistical standpoint just comes across as extremely selfish. God forbid a teammate has more targets than him 2-3 games a year.

AJ Green had a relatively quiet game, by his standards, last week as well, but I do not recall him throwing a small hissy fit over it.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
He said the same exact thing last year.
After a win, that's what bothers me the most. I love he wants the ball, but why publicly after week 2? I could see week 6 or 7 and we were 2-5 and he wasn't getting the ball thrown his way, but we just beat our division rival in ****** weather.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
After a win, that's what bothers me the most. I love he wants the ball, but why publicly after week 2? I could see week 6 or 7 and we were 2-5 and he wasn't getting the ball thrown his way, but we just beat our division rival in ****** weather.

I don't like it after a win either. It seems like an "I before team" kinda thing.

Wingman

Reaction score
I suspect there is too much being read into this. I see it a wee bit differently. AB wants the ball because he really believes he is better than the other guys. He is competitive very much so. He also believes his qb can get him the ball on every play, essentially considering him perfect when it comes to throwing the ball. AB does not quit on routes as some others have. I do not see this as a distraction anymore than when John Stalworth did it. Yeah that John Stalworth. HE was disappointed after a win because he only had one catch. Someone said John we won the game would you rather catch more balls or win. His reply was I would like to think we could do both.

I think this is being over played by the media. I think this is just AB being competitive and Ben knows that all the good receivers think they are open all the time. I think it shows nothing more than competitive attitudes from both players and a good attitude from the other players involved.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
AB will get 10 targets today. What he does with them is up to him.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
AB will get 10 targets today. What he does with them is up to him.

I hope he gets 20 targets and turns them into 20 catches for 200 plus yards and 4 or 5 TD's. .... ummmm . Maybe 6 TD's. Is that asking/expecting for to much?