• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2015 Penguins Thread -now with 100% more Kessel and a STANLEY CUP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
Why would we want him? For the 4th line?

Umberger, 34, had two unproductive years after returning for his second stint with the Flyers. Last season, he was a healthy scratch in 23 of the last 24 games, playing only in the meaningless season finale against the Islanders.

I'd rather Rutherford call up Stamkos and offer to sign him for 6 million/5yr, to play wing with Sid!

Trade Fleury to Dallas and get a goalie in return + some picks, get them to pay some of Niemi's contract.

Meh.......just spitballin'. Remember, Bones and Kessel weren't exactly shining in their former environments.....

Murray was awesome and all we could ask for at the time but I'd like to try hanging onto MAF until they see him perform over the long haul of a regular season. He did let some pretty soft goals get by him so I wouldn't be looking at him as the next Patrick Roy just yet.

Just my 2 cents. Must be the off season. :)

True this.......

Yep. Umberger doesn't fit the quick release blueliner that now seems to be the Pens prototype.

Good call.............like I said, spec time........

If you keep Stamko and have to cut a bunch of players , we'll take Drouin, Palat and Hedman

Yeah...there are several guys I'd like from TB.....Brown and TJ anyone? Let's pick that TB carcass like a pack of hyenas.............

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
If you keep Stamko and have to cut a bunch of players , we'll take Drouin, Palat and Hedman

I'd sign Drouin in a freakin' heartbeat! He was the one player I feared when he got the puck in the Pens end. I hard time believing he was the player that TB was having issues with. Dude is a stud!

ark steel

Reaction score
I'd sign Drouin in a freakin' heartbeat! He was the one player I feared when he got the puck in the Pens end. I hard time believing he was the player that TB was having issues with. Dude is a stud!

Crazy season for that guy. Got pissed they sent him down to AHL and got suspended by the team for several games only to end up playing in the ECF for the team.

I'd hate to lose Stamkos, but we did pretty well in the playoffs without him. I think the only player that might have changed the outcome of the ECF would have been Bishop as Vassy (while performing very well) let to many rebounds happen that Bishop might have corralled and allowed less shots.

All in all the team is, probably, better without Stamkos and with the rest of the players than with Stamkos and missing a bunch of those already mentioned.

Spike

Reaction score
more tidbits

@emptynetters
Rutherford described Malkin's injury as real serious. Noted he came back earlier than most players would have

Dave Molinari @MolinariPG
Rutherford says there's a "50-50 chance" Malkin will need surgery on his injured elbow.

Josh Yohe ✔ @JoshYohe_PGH
Bonino played with a nasty elbow infection in the Final. Had bad fever.

Rutherford: I have not met with (Fleury) yet to see what he's feeling. In ideal world, would start season w/Fleury and Murray

GMJR says he'd like to bring Lovejoy and Cullen back. He told Cullen to take lots of time to think. Admits Lovejoy deserves a raise.

Bennett will be qualified. Schultz apparently won't be. But they'd like to sign him.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Malkin and Bonino with elbow injuries. Ouch. I'd welcome back Cullen and Lovejoy in a heartbeat. Bennett needs to move on. Shultz is good depth

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

Tampa is loaded. Drouin is gonna be a brute. Brown, Callahan, Johnson and Kucherov are also major threats. I would not be surprised to see them win it all next season. Hedman and Boyle are also trees who provide some decent poke checking

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Crazy season for that guy. Got pissed they sent him down to AHL and got suspended by the team for several games only to end up playing in the ECF for the team.

I'd hate to lose Stamkos, but we did pretty well in the playoffs without him. I think the only player that might have changed the outcome of the ECF would have been Bishop as Vassy (while performing very well) let to many rebounds happen that Bishop might have corralled and allowed less shots.

All in all the team is, probably, better without Stamkos and with the rest of the players than with Stamkos and missing a bunch of those already mentioned.

I'd hate to see Tampa lose Stamkos just because that is where he started his career. Always like when face-of-the-franchise players finish where they started.

Malkin and Bonino with elbow injuries. Ouch. I'd welcome back Cullen and Lovejoy in a heartbeat. Bennett needs to move on. Shultz is good depth

I had heard Malkin had a significant elbow injury, which makes sense since he didn't put his big-time slap shot on display.

Spike

Reaction score
I had heard Malkin had a significant elbow injury, which makes sense since he didn't put his big-time slap shot on display.

Don't people read?

@emptynetters
Rutherford described Malkin's injury as real serious. Noted he came back earlier than most players would have

Rutherford says there's a "50-50 chance" Malkin will need surgery on his injured elbow.

Rutherford: I have not met with (Fleury) yet to see what he's feeling. In ideal world, would start season w/Fleury and Murray

GMJR says he'd like to bring Lovejoy and Cullen back. He told Cullen to take lots of time to think. Admits Lovejoy deserves a raise.

Bennett will be qualified. Schultz apparently won't be. But they'd like to sign him.

Spike

Reaction score
Let the trade rumors begin!

Sounds like they want him

Calgary Flames' goaltending answer is evident — Marc-Andre Fleury

For the better part of the last month, it's been evident the perfect solution to the Calgary Flames' goaltending void is Marc-Andre Fleury.

It's also a solution for the Pittsburgh Penguins and Fleury himself.

Fleury carries a cap hit of $5.75 million each of the next three years, which is an adequate sum for the Flames to shell out for a player who answers the Flames goaltending woes in one fell swoop.

Trading Fleury now opens up valuable cap space for a team that will unquestionably be trading him by this time next year. Otherwise, he'd be exposed in the expansion draft, leaving the Penguins without compensation should he be taken.

Even if he isn't, Murray will command upwards of $5 million as a restricted free agent next summer - money the Pens don't have if Fleury remains.

The Flames would likely be happy to part with a prospect and one or two of the draft picks they've been stockpiling to help make the deal - a deal Rutherford would be foolish to dismiss given how things ended this spring.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/06/1...ltending-answer-is-evident--marc-andre-fleury

TSN Radio is talking about Calgary offering up Dennis Wideman and a pick for MAF

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I don't want Wideman. If the Flames really want MAF, they better raise their offer. Not giving him away.

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
NO draft picks for Flower unless it's the #1 overall AND a starting skater.

Spike

Reaction score
Heard it the day after the Final was over and before any of the local guys tweeted it.

I heard rumors all during the playoffs, I just posted the tweets 2 hrs ago - look back a page, that's what I meant

Spike

Reaction score
I don't want Wideman. If the Flames really want MAF, they better raise their offer. Not giving him away.

I don't either, we have Daley, but we're not raiding the bank, everybody knows our situation

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I don't either, we have Daley, but we're not raiding the bank, everybody knows our situation

I agree. It's not often we have a valuable trading piece to better the team with and MAF is a quality starting goalie. I wouldn't expect a bidding war over him, but he should command a nice return. He could put a bubble team in a good position.

Spike

Reaction score
NO draft picks for Flower unless it's the #1 overall AND a starting skater.

Fleury+Kunitz for Brodie would be a miracle. He's a good D man that can score. Lovejoy will probably leave for more money.

We need to shed some salary for later. If they can cut the ties with Kunitz that still leaves some money to play with this summer for an upgrade elsewhere.

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
if they deal Flower, cut ties with Koony, and Cullen hangs it up.....plenty of space for Lovejoy.

I'd say count Bennet in on that, but he'll probably break a leg at the exit interview.

Spike

Reaction score
if they deal Flower, cut ties with Koony, and Cullen hangs it up.....plenty of space for Lovejoy.

I'd say count Bennet in on that, but he'll probably break a leg at the exit interview.

They said they're wanting to bringing Beau back - Schultz probably not

The Penguins will make a qualifying offer to forward Beau Bennett, but will not give one to defenseman Justin Schultz, Rutherford told reporters Thursday, according to DKPittsburghSports.com's Josh Yohe.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1044539

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
he said they were gonna "see" about resigning Schultz.

per the Pens home page.

package Bennet with some stick tape for the 255th pick.

Spike

Reaction score
Madden just said that the Penguins want to keep Schultz at around 2 years for $2.4 million per year. I wouldn't be crazy about that contract mainly due to a Cole-Schultz pair would be expensive for a bottom pair.

Don't we still have young legs to bring up on D?

Spike

Reaction score
It's good they're talking

NHL Trade Rumors: Flames Contacted Penguins About Marc-Andre Fleury

The Calgary Flames need a No. 1 goalie and the Pittsburgh Penguins have two of them. So, the teams appear to be natural trade partners, and perhaps that’s why they’ve reportedly at least talked about a potential deal involving Penguins netminder Marc-Andre Fleury. “Flames (general manager) Brad Treliving is well aware of the possible fit and, as should be expected from the diligent workhorse, he’s been in contact with (Penguins general manager Jim) Rutherford,” Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun wrote Wednesday.

Murray, who’s nine years younger than Fleury and posted a .923 save percentage in the 2016 Stanley Cup playoffs, also is a much cheaper option on his entry-level contract. As Francis points out, the Penguins need to shed some money to be salary cap compliant for next season.

http://nesn.com/2016/06/nhl-trade-rumors-flames-contacted-penguins-about-marc-andre-fleury/

Spike

Reaction score
and don't forget - the goalie equipment is going to be smaller next year

NHL goaltending equipment to be streamlined for 2016-17

BOCA RATON, Fla. – NHL general managers agreed that goaltending equipment needs to become smaller for next season.

At their annual meetings at the Boca Raton Resort and Club, the league’s GMs listened to senior director of hockey operations Kay Whitmore explain how the chest, upper body and pants areas of goaltenders can be streamlined.

The NHL Players’ Association is on board with changing the pads

The question was asked today, ‘Well, what’s different this time around?' Well, we are attacking it together,” Whitmore said. “You are hearing from some of the best goalies in the game and they think this is what is right. They want a level playing field within their ranks.”

Whitmore said that the league will be “cutting away all the fat, the parts that extend out past the body and don’t wrap” in the chest, pants and upper body area.

He noted that goaltender safety won’t be compromised by changing equipment

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-goalie-equipment-changes-smaller/c-279642612

Rod Farva

Reaction score
Calgary's roster reads pretty poorly. I'd take Gaudreau or Hamilton though......maybe Giordano (33 years old though, same as Wideman).

What in the hell is the deal with athletes and staph infections? Just read about Pouncey's......

Lovejoy will get his raise. Would like to see it be from Pens, but not sure they can beat what other teams might throw at him.

Schultz is of more benefit to the team, obviously. Bennett could be a star but has proven to me that he's far too injury prone. Time to move on.

Schultz is nice depth.....he got help after taking over for TD, but the guy came through admirably imo. Great shot, but requires a little cover defensively.......like to see him stay.

Tampa is loaded. I would not be surprised to see them win it all next season.

Not if the Pens have any say in it.

and don't forget - the goalie equipment is going to be smaller next year

NHL goaltending equipment to be streamlined for 2016-17

BOCA RATON, Fla. – NHL general managers agreed that goaltending equipment needs to become smaller for next season.

At their annual meetings at the Boca Raton Resort and Club, the league’s GMs listened to senior director of hockey operations Kay Whitmore explain how the chest, upper body and pants areas of goaltenders can be streamlined.

The NHL Players’ Association is on board with changing the pads

The question was asked today, ‘Well, what’s different this time around?' Well, we are attacking it together,” Whitmore said. “You are hearing from some of the best goalies in the game and they think this is what is right. They want a level playing field within their ranks.”

Whitmore said that the league will be “cutting away all the fat, the parts that extend out past the body and don’t wrap” in the chest, pants and upper body area.

He noted that goaltender safety won’t be compromised by changing equipment

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-goalie-equipment-changes-smaller/c-279642612

If the goal of this is to increase scoring they could just start calling the interference, holding and other bullshit.......crazy, I know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.