• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

1st official mock draft, 2018. Pre film and college all-star games

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So we should have three 5th round picks. San Fran's ( early in the round ), Ours, and the compensatory pick for losing Timmons.

This makes our draft look like

5 ( san fran's )
5 ( ours )
5 ( Comp pick )

Do we get another 7th round pick for losing Cockrell?

Yes. Not sure if it was conditional and could move up to a 6th or not, though.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Yes. Not sure if it was conditional and could move up to a 6th or not, though.

What does the Haden signing mean for the comp picks?

Steelerfan

Reaction score
We are officially in the off season. . I'll be creating an all senior bowl thread for news, focusing on positons of need at a later date. Yes--I actually DVR the practices.

I'm wet with excitement. But do you actually watch the games?

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
What does the Haden signing mean for the comp picks?

Nothing. he was cut, not a FA. Doesn't count against Comp picks.

It's also why the Ravens rarely pick up FAs and prefer to sign cut players. That's their strategy to have really high comp picks in the draft.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I'm wet with excitement. But do you actually watch the games?

Yes, I watch the senior bowl and DVR it watching the positons I think we need. The practices are great. Guys go all out.

I think 50+ players from the game are drafted every year, so if you like the draft you should watch it.

Up next is the East-West shrine game. If you want video on the best prospect, look below.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018...ew-9-defensive-players-to-watch-detroit-lions

Spike

Reaction score
My nephew is going to be meeting the players at the Senior Bowl, it's in Mobile, he's a top H.S. football player there and he just got invited to go there, stay at their hotel, attend meetings, on their dime...cool.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I LOVE your top 4 picks, but I double down on ILB and OLB. This team needs defensive help. I love where we are at WR (no need), and I think we can manage at RB and TE. I would have gone TE, but with the play of McDonald lately, I'd let that pass. DEFENSE is where I'd go.

Steelers don’t double down too often. They also look in the future for picks. DHB and Hunter are not indispensable and I doubt we long term Bryant. Thus a #5 wr this year could be a #3 in 2019.

I feel we go D big time early with 3 of 4 of our first picks at the minimum. Obviously, ILB is the biggest need but I did this mock showing if the value isn’t there we can go several directions and still land a quality player later.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
RD1- Justin Reid S Stanford
Reid the brother of Eric and his play shows. He is solid up and down and can play several DB positions. He really has no weaknesses in his game. He covers man or zone, fs, s or nickel, he plays the run. I feel he can come in and start day one. Bye Mike.

RD2- Vita Vea NT Washington
Vea is a true NT with sand in his pants to hold the point but good athleticism to move side to side. He should drop do to his position need and value in today’s nfl otherwise he’d be a first rounder.

RD3- Tegray Scales ILB Indiana
I think Scales is a riser just like Haas Reddick last year. He’s good in coverage and can blitz from the outside or inside. Little undersized at 6ft 230lbs but I feel he runs a solid 4.5 also.

RD4- Sione Teuhema OLB SLU
Transfer from LSU and hard to get to the bottom of it. Seems a mixture of playing time and maybe not happy about coaching change. Anyways he had a nice year vs lesser competition and honestly if he can play special teams how can’t he take Moats spot.

RD5- Jaleel Scott WR New Mexico
He’s a legit 6-6 receiver who should be a red zone threat immediately.

RD6- Nyheim Hines RB NC State
Hines is a change of pace back which if Bell is just tagged makes sense as if the Steelers do move on in 2019 they’d have Connor and now Hines to fill Bells shoes. Hines is quick with good vision, nice hands, and a very good kick and punt return man.

RD7- Marcus Baugh TE OSU
Baugh is not going to blow you over with his size, speed, or athleticism but he has enough of each.

there isn't even a snowball's chance in hell that vita vea lasts until the 2nd round, friend.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
there isn't even a snowball's chance in hell that vita vea lasts until the 2nd round, friend.

Especially the end of 2.

Besides I prefer a FS and a ILBer one and two.(BPA) They have some picks that they can use to go up in one of the rounds if need be.

Last edited:

FordFairLane

Reaction score

If this was 2008 I’d agree. But a in today’s nfl he’s a situational player. Probably doesn’t see more than 25 snaps a game on average in the nfl.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
If this was 2008 I’d agree. But a in today’s nfl he’s a situational player. Probably doesn’t see more than 25 snaps a game on average in the nfl.

he's 6'5" 340lbs+ and is as nimble as bettis, as well as un-movable. NO chance he lasts to the 2nd round.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
he's 6'5" 340lbs+ and is as nimble as bettis, as well as un-movable. NO chance he lasts to the 2nd round.

Then why does he have like 3 sacks and 4 tfl? He’s nimble for his size but he will have pedestrian numbers at the combine to go along with his pedestrian stats. Sorry he’s not staying on the field in passing downs. He’s a 3rd and short and goal line NT. Doesn’t have the ability to get after the QB. He eats up blocks and gets in on a few tackles. So he’s Daniel McCullers with a better motor.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score

I don't know. His type of player is not what everybody is looking for. Look how far Hargrave and Billings fell in the draft. Also, Vea was handled pretty easily by Penn State in the Fiesta Bowl and PSU's OL was not very good this year.

PSU's pace may have wore him out too. Wash moved him all over the line and PSU kept picking him up. They didn't even shy away from running at him.

I'd like him in a rotation on the Steelers DL. Imagine short yardage with Tuitt, Hargrave, Vea, and Heyward up front.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
There is enough D-line talent on this team. They just need to come thru better in the clutch. No way would I look toward a NT early when he will see the field very seldom.

ILBer FS TE WR RB OLB ILB ( not in any preferred order )

would get my attention in this upcoming draft. Two ILBers unless you brought one in as a free agent. With the Steelers cap not in great shape and Bell to be signed. A UFA upgrade at any position might be a pipe dream.

Last edited:

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
well we need a long snapper... maybe trade our 3 5th rd picks and take the best one in rd 3 or 4 then we can focus on backup punter

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Updated draft picks, we should have 8 total.

Round 1, pick #28 overall. Inside Linebacker Reshann Evans

Round two 2, pick #60 overall. Safety Deshon Elliot.

Round three, pick #92 overall Inside line backer Jerome Baker

Round 5 ( San Francisco's pick ) Nose Tackle / Defensive Tackle Harrison Phillips
Round 5 ( our pick ) Outside Linebacker Marquis Haynes
Round 5 ( projected compensatory pick for losing Timmons ) Safety Johnathan Abram

Round 7 ( Giants pick for Ross Cockrell, projected ) Offensive Tackle Cole Madison
Round 7 ( our pick ) Punter Michael Dickson

Last edited:

kev4heels

Reaction score
1st official mock draft, 2018. Pre film and college all-star games

Round 1 )
I'd prefer ILB Roquan Smith, but he'll likely be gone by our pick, so I'll go with Reshann Evans. We need a three down ILB who can tackle, limit runs, and play pass defense. Evans has excelled in all three areas.

Notes from Walter Football:

Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama
Height: 6-3. Weight: 231.
Projected 40 Time: 4.63.
Projected Round (2018): 1-2.
1/13/18: In 2017, Evans totaled 66 tackles, 11.5 tackles for a loss, six sacks, one forced fumble and three passes broken up. The senior possesses an impressive skill set with size, speed and physicality. He did well rushing off the edge for Alabama in 2017.

9/1/17: Evans was a backup in 2014 and 2015 before rotating onto the field during the 2016 season. As a junior, he totaled 53 tackles with 4.5 tackles for a loss, four sacks, two passes broken up and one forced fumble. Evans has the athletic upside to grow.

Round 2 ) Safety, Deshon Elliot. Mitchell is garbage and needs to be replaced. Elliot had six interceptions; nine passes defensed, three forced fumbles, 8.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks and two defensive touchdowns last season. The more I read about him, the better I like him! If he runs well, a possible first round guy to consider.

Walter Football notes:
Texas
Height: 6-2. Weight: 210.
Projected 40 Time: 4.58.
Projected Round (2018): 2-3.
1/6/18: Elliott enjoyed a breakout 2017 season and was one of the nation's leaders in interceptions with six. The junior also had 63 tackles and three passes broken up. After announcing he would enter the 2018 NFL Draft, Elliott sat out Texas' bowl game.

Elliott has NFL size with good instincts. He fits as a free safety for the pro game, and sources have told me that they've given him a second-day grade. They say that Elliott lacks elite athletic ability and speed to be a first-round pick, but he makes plays in coverage and is a willing participant against the run. It would have been hard for Elliott to duplicate his production if he had returned for his senior year, so it was in his interest to declare for the 2018 NFL Draft - like he did.

Round 3. Linebacker / nickel back Jerome Baker. Our team speed is terrible at ILB. Williams is slow. Spence way too small, and Dirty red too small and slow. Baker is a blazing fast LB. Fast enough to prevent running QB's from ripping the defense, and productive in coverage. Baker also has upside as a pass rusher and has the makings of a special teams star.

Walter Football notes:
Jerome Baker*, OLB, Ohio State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 225.
Projected 40 Time: 4.55.
Projected Round (2018): 2-4.
1/13/18: In 2017, Baker totaled 72 tackles with eight for a loss, 3.5 sacks, one forced fumble and three passes broken up. He didn't validate some of the preseason media hype with his play in 2017, but he displayed some potential in pass coverage, which is an in-demand trait among linebackers in the NFL.

9/1/17: There has been a lot of media hype about Baker, but in speaking with scouts who did advance work on the 2018 class, they weren't impressed with Baker. They said that Baker runs around more blocks than he takes on and has the speed to get away with that against average offensive lines. They thought was more of a second-day to early third-day prospect. They said Baker is a good player, but not complete and isn't anything exceptional. They felt Baker was a good, solid, instinct guy who, in the right system, will play in the NFL, but over time they're a dime a dozen.

After Darron Lee was taken in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft, Baker won the job to be Lee's replacement as Ohio State's fast run-and-chase linebacker. Baker had a quality debut with 83 tackles, 9.5 tackles for a loss, 3.5 sacks and two interceptions. He is a highly athletic linebacker with sideline-to-sideline speed. Baker could be a great fit as a Will (weak side) linebacker in a 4-3 defense.

Rounds 4-7

Round 5A) ( san Fran's pick ) BPA DT/NT. Hargrave, stock way down
Round 5B ) RB. Conner might not be durable enough.
Round 5C comp pick for losing Timmons ) OT With Hubbard gone, we need a developmental type.
Round 6 ) BPA P. Berry isn't very good. We can upgrade here. A decent punting class
Round 7 ) KR/Speed WR. A bit of a luxury pick, but a need and this is round 7

I like it for the most part.
Not sure Evans will be available. Might have to move up a few spots to get him.
I like Elliott as well, but his 40 will be a key component to where he gets drafted. True FS...which is what we need.
In the 3rd, I like Baker, but a). he won't be there and b). we need an OLB for depth/eventual replacement for Bud.

nice effort though Joel. I would be happy with that haul 3 months out.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I like it for the most part.
Not sure Evans will be available. Might have to move up a few spots to get him.
I like Elliott as well, but his 40 will be a key component to where he gets drafted. True FS...which is what we need.
In the 3rd, I like Baker, but a). he won't be there and b). we need an OLB for depth/eventual replacement for Bud.

nice effort though Joel. I would be happy with that haul 3 months out.

So far I like it, but I have to see the film video, college all star game and combine / pro days results. Guys can go up and down with me depending on the new information.

I'm okay with a free safety ( Elliot ) who runs a 4.55 IF he's got a high football IQ, and ball skills. Ed Reed wasn't a sub 4.5 40 guy and was only 5'11" tall.

If Evans who will likely be the 2nd ILB off the board and the top safeties are gone in round one, I might like the a 3 down NT/DT that plays the run and rushes the passer a better than Hargrave.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Evans will not be there unless we move up (which we rarely ever do)

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I agree ILB is the top need and, personally, I'd draft TWO back to back...

FS would be my pick in the 3rd round.

Names to come later...

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I know, I know...we never make draft day trades...

Here's my list:

Round 1 Pick 28: Malik Jefferson, ILB, Texas (B)
Round 3 Pick 2 (NYG): Armani Watts, FS, Texas AM (B+)
Round 3 Pick 28: Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa (A)
Round 4 Pick 2 (NYG): Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 11: JK Scott, P, Alabama (A+)
Round 5 Pick 28: Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa (A+)
Round 7 Pick 28: Ray-Ray McCloud, WR, Clemson (A+)

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I know I am in the minority here, but, I tag Bell and move him for picks. Preferably to some team that really doesn’t have a supporting cast and tons of cap space. I could be persuaded to maybe take a couple years firsts or who knows. Go after another RB in the draft and fill another hole or two, without the cap hell Bell will bring. Bell is a great RB, but they are short lived and somewhat replaceable. If we don’t take a QB early this year, we will need the cap room for a good FA on soon.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
No trades, I went this way on my first look. If we pick up an ILB in FA, I would take TE Gisecki in the 3rd. I was also debating on a NT somewhere in there and will look harder at that in future tries.

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 28: Rashaan Evans, OLB, Alabama (B+)
Round 2 Pick 28: DeShon Elliott, SS, Texas (B+)
Round 3 Pick 28: Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa (A+)
Round 5 Pick 11: Adam Breneman, TE, Massachusetts (B-)
Round 5 Pick 28: Bo Scarbrough, RB, Alabama (A+)
Round 7 Pick 28: Tre'Quan Smith, WR, Central Florida (A+)

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
No trades, I went this way on my first look. If we pick up an ILB in FA, I would take TE Gisecki in the 3rd. I was also debating on a NT somewhere in there and will look harder at that in future tries.

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 28: Rashaan Evans, OLB, Alabama (B+)
Round 2 Pick 28: DeShon Elliott, SS, Texas (B+)
Round 3 Pick 28: Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa (A+)
Round 5 Pick 11: Adam Breneman, TE, Massachusetts (B-)
Round 5 Pick 28: Bo Scarbrough, RB, Alabama (A+)
Round 7 Pick 28: Tre'Quan Smith, WR, Central Florida (A+)

I like this one. My #1 and #2 is the same as yours. We should get an extra 5th ( comp ) and 7th ( From Cockrell trade ), so take two more shots please.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I know, I know...we never make draft day trades...

Here's my list:

Round 1 Pick 28: Malik Jefferson, ILB, Texas (B)
Round 3 Pick 2 (NYG): Armani Watts, FS, Texas AM (B+)
Round 3 Pick 28: Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa (A)
Round 4 Pick 2 (NYG): Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State (A+)
Round 5 Pick 11: JK Scott, P, Alabama (A+)
Round 5 Pick 28: Akrum Wadley, RB, Iowa (A+)
Round 7 Pick 28: Ray-Ray McCloud, WR, Clemson (A+)

I want to see how Jewell works out, but his productivity is impressive. What will he 40 yard dash, 10 yard dash, and 20 yard shuttle be?

Jewell (6'2/230) has been among the most productive linebackers in the country during his time with the Hawkeyes, having led Iowa in tackles each of the last three seasons. His best overall body of work came during the current campaign, as he has logged 121 tackles (13.5 for loss), 4.5 sacks, two interceptions and 11 passes defended. Both the TFL and passes defensed marks were career bests for Jewell

***We do not have a 4th round pick *** I have seen Mike Gesicki play. I think he's a finesse type of TE, who might run well, but doesn't make enough plays. Weak as blocker.

I'd rather go NT here and hope Vance McDonald, who opened eyes as a blocker and receiver can stay healthy.