• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Will Steelers Be Ready for Season?

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
I was a fan of Noll's preseason strategy, play starters a QTR 1st preseason game, a half 2nd, 3 Qtrs 3rd and sit in the 4th.
Seemed to work them up to getting in game shape.

Tomlin doesn't play many of the starters very much and we seem flat in the first few games of the season as the starters
work into game shape.

Not sure if we are just trying to avoid preseason injuries, but it seems like your more susceptible to injuries if your playing and not in
full game shape.

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I liked Noll's draft strategy too, who did he take in the 88th round of the draft again? ;) The game is quite a bit different these days, you're really reaching going back to the Chuck Noll days for preseason strategy.

Joe

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Not sure the game has changed that much, that preparation for the season would be impacted. How has the game
changed, that preseason reps have become harmful?

Slash#10

Reaction score
Rewatch Steelers vs Packers ppreseason game last year and let me know if either coach would rather sit their Pro Bowl center and pro bowl wr or have them play in a meaningless game to prep for the season?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
These guys have so many offseason workouts that they should be pretty much ready to go with minimal preseason action. I'm fine with Tomlin sitting the starters (though not as a season ticket holder and the ripoff that is the preseason).

Reactions: MTC

pittbull

Contributor
Reaction score
I, personally, do fear a slow start. I think the offense will come out hitting on all cylinders, but I think the defense will take time to gel...again. I just hope the offense is good enough early in the season to make up for quick scores from the opponent.

Stlrs4Life

Forefather
Reaction score
I'm glad he is sitting the starters. The rookies and younger guys need the reps.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I liked Noll's draft strategy too, who did he take in the 88th round of the draft again? ;) The game is quite a bit different these days, you're really reaching going back to the Chuck Noll days for preseason strategy.

Joe

Love it!!!

diver

Reaction score
21 brings up a good point here. Where is the line between risking players in meaningless games and getting them ready and prepared for the real thing?

Look at Pouncey. He was hurt last year in a meaningless game, but a few years back he was gone by the first half of the first game. What's the difference?

I just wonder if the injuries we see today are a result of the LACK of football activities instead of too much.