• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What do you expect from Daniel McCullers as the starting Nose Tackle?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
What do you expect from Daniel McCullers as the starting Nose Tackle?

I think Big Dan is a part-time player with limited stamina and ability to make plays. Outside of being a good goal line or 3rd and 1 type of run defender, I think the Steelers are taking a step backward as Steve McLendon was a bit better.

It might be a small step back, as we play more 4 man fronts these days.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
It will be very telling to see what kind of shape Big Dan is in when players report to Latrobe. If he's not in "the best shape of his life", we may be in some trouble. I always though McLendon was under-rated. When Steve was on the field last season, our run D was very impressive statistically.

I'd expect an uneven performance from Big Dan. He has the ability to blow up a play by pushing the center 4 yards backwards but will also probably struggle on perimeter running plays.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Dan has some untapped upside on a part of his game. With his height and very long arms, he should be able to swat a few passes on plays where's he's blocked...if he pays attention.

I agree, though. If he's too heavy, he's essentially a slow wall with limited stamina. McCullers is listed at 352 pounds, and that was the rookie weight. Something tells me he's pushing 360 or more. He would be better off around 330.

I also think he might be vulnerable to cut blocks at his height, as Big Dan really doesn't get very low.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Pretty sure they drafted Hargraves because of the very limited role they see for MCCullers. Hargraves can rush from a 4-3 DT position and they can combine him and MCCullers to be good enough vs. the run.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If Big Dan comes in to camp in shape, I think he will be more than serviceable as a 2 down player. I don't think they plan to use him much in passing downs. But, my hope is he starts getting a lot of push and double teams no matter the down. If that happens, he should see more snaps on third down. I also want to see Hargrave. I think he spells Dan and also gets some play outside to spell Tuitt and Heyward.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Pretty sure they drafted Hargraves because of the very limited role they see for MCCullers. Hargraves can rush from a 4-3 DT position and they can combine him and MCCullers to be good enough vs. the run.

I actually think Hargraves can have the quickest impact as a rookie in our 4 man line. He's very quick and has some pass rushing skills. Whether Hargraves can hold up vs the run is questionable. He played weak competition in college. We'll quickly find out in camp what he has vs the run. If the 2nd string OL players have their way with him vs the run, he's a role player only.

I see the two rotating depending on the down and distance the defense is facing.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
That is what I think. I could really see in pass rush situations going Hargraves and Heyward inside and Tuitt and their best pass rusher from linebacker (Dupree or Harrison). I realize that football is leverage and tall often equals easy cut block, but it is hard to believe MCcullers with all that size cannot collapse the pocket or at least command double teams.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I read that Big Dan is lighter now than he's ever been and said he feels a lot better. He did have ( has ) trouble staying on his feet but who knows, maybe all he needs is some experience like Alejandro. Either way he will split time with Hargrave, Hooks and Philon in camp, 'till somebody earns the spot. I don't think they just give it to him by default.

Yeh..here it is...

You cannot miss McCullers when he is there. He stands 6 feet 7 and although he lost 10 pounds since last season to get down to 352, he remains the Steelers’ most imposing physical defensive player ever, and the biggest player drafted in 2014.

He’d like to lose another 12 pounds to get down to a fighting weight of 340 -- “Got to be slender so I can move around and be in there for a large amount of plays.’’
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...an-with-big-expectations/stories/201606020186

He is a monster though, Philon looks like a HS player next to him.

20160531ng-steelers2-1.jpg

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I expect him to get 16 tackles, 4 of them for a loss, 2 sacks and 6 wrecked buffets during the season

Wingman

Reaction score
From what the defensive line coach has been saying we should expect a greatly improved player in McCullers this year. I also thought one of the rule changes was to eliminate cut blocks this year. McCullers was a major project and and from what was being said really had a lot to learn about playing the position. He does not have to be great, good will suffice. Tuitt and Heyward can make the step to great and that will be a very good front. The other guys just need to be able to provide depth and rotation for a few plays every series and that should keep the defense much more effective.

I am more concerned with who will be the player that replaces Jarvis Jones than any of the defensive linemen as he seems to be the weak link on the front seven. Harrison is not his old self anymore but is still good. It just makes one wonder when he will no longer have enough speed to get it done.

ark steel

Reaction score
From what the defensive line coach has been saying we should expect a greatly improved player in McCullers this year. I also thought one of the rule changes was to eliminate cut blocks this year. McCullers was a major project and and from what was being said really had a lot to learn about playing the position. He does not have to be great, good will suffice. Tuitt and Heyward can make the step to great and that will be a very good front. The other guys just need to be able to provide depth and rotation for a few plays every series and that should keep the defense much more effective.

I am more concerned with who will be the player that replaces Jarvis Jones than any of the defensive linemen as he seems to be the weak link on the front seven. Harrison is not his old self anymore but is still good. It just makes one wonder when he will no longer have enough speed to get it done.

I believe that is, indeed, the case.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
McCullers has size, but as stated low stamina. In a 3-4 scheme. A dominant NT can create opportunities for the front 7. The speed of the linebackers now is great. I'd love to have a dominant NT

ark steel

Reaction score
McCullers has size, but as stated low stamina. In a 3-4 scheme. A dominant NT can create opportunities for the front 7. The speed of the linebackers now is great. I'd love to have a dominant NT

One could assume, or hope, his stamina is better now.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
7-tackles
7-sacks (yes)
7-batted passes
7- pass defense
7-jumbo goal line offense plays
7-tackles for loss
7-interview after we hoist our 7th Lombardy

Salute the nation

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
after his last yr for the vols, he was likely 360, by the combine he got to 352, and roughly that is where where he has been the last 2 years, John Mitchell DL coach has wanted him in the 340's and that been the bench mark to get more reps if he gets there he may then give him some DE looks and give MT and Butler the green light to if wanted play a bit of DE.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
after his last yr for the vols, he was likely 360, by the combine he got to 352, and roughly that is where where he has been the last 2 years, John Mitchell DL coach has wanted him in the 340's and that been the bench mark to get more reps if he gets there he may then give him some DE looks and give MT and Butler the green light to if wanted play a bit of DE.

The trouble is players tend to gain weight as they age. I'd like to see him at 340 as well.

chipped ham

Reaction score
I've been hoping for him to have a John Henderson type effect when Jacksonville had a nasty interior with him and Stroud from 2005-2008. Unfortunately, I also don't think McCullers has that type of "mean streak" in him. I know it's been only two years, and he was a later draft pick that needed some refining, but far too many times it looks like he's playing patty-cake. Except two years ago against the Texans, I think that center is still skating backwards.

P

POP

I expect him to get 16 tackles, 4 of them for a loss, 2 sacks and 6 wrecked buffets during the season

6? 16 maybe. Hargrove will get the bulk of playing time, eventually. Dan lasted until he did in the draft for a reason; he is massive, but limited.

steelville

Reaction score
I think Dan will be just fine. He was hurt most of last year for one thing. When he was healthy, he would push double teams into the backfield - although sometimes past the play. I predict he will make people take notice this year. Hargrave will be an asset, but coming from a small school where he played against glorified HS teams it is hard to make a clear prediction. He did dominate though. I think he'll end up being a good player too, but not right off the bat. Hope I am wrong and he dominates right away.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Dan will be just fine. He was hurt most of last year for one thing. When he was healthy, he would push double teams into the backfield - although sometimes past the play. I predict he will make people take notice this year. Hargrave will be an asset, but coming from a small school where he played against glorified HS teams it is hard to make a clear prediction. He did dominate though. I think he'll end up being a good player too, but not right off the bat. Hope I am wrong and he dominates right away.

he also dominated in the Senior Bowl, which put him against better competition. So there's that