• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Welcome back Mr Bell!

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
After one game of play, Bell now ranks 30th in rushing. Pretty amazing since the rest of the league has an extra 3 games on that guy.

I think I figured out why some people don't think Bell is the best or even great. Watching him play, Bell makes the game look EASY. He is long and lean with smooth movements. His movements are shifty and quick, and if you don't see him slowed down on replay, you don't notice how many lateral shifts he's making on each play. I'll say it again, he is Barry Sandersesque the way he controls games, makes defenders fall down, and fights for yardage.

We've been missing out at seeing one of the most talented runners in league history. The guy is a gem.

Plus he's also one of our best slot receivers. His first inside slant on the LB looked like a WR making the play. Perfect body positioning, hand placement, and lean on the tackle.

Haley's been looking for that skat-back, but doesn't need it now with Bell back. That man can do it all!!

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Bell is patient. I credit the pot in his system for making him so relaxed back there ;)

But really, the guy is a talent and just has an awareness to him. As a runner I'll take DWill, as an overall athlete. Bell just brings something extra that allows Ben to do more

chipped ham

Reaction score
After one game of play, Bell now ranks 30th in rushing. Pretty amazing since the rest of the league has an extra 3 games on that guy.

I think I figured out why some people don't think Bell is the best or even great. Watching him play, Bell makes the game look EASY. He is long and lean with smooth movements. His movements are shifty and quick, and if you don't see him slowed down on replay, you don't notice how many lateral shifts he's making on each play. I'll say it again, he is Barry Sandersesque the way he controls games, makes defenders fall down, and fights for yardage.

We've been missing out at seeing one of the most talented runners in league history. The guy is a gem.

Plus he's also one of our best slot receivers. His first inside slant on the LB looked like a WR making the play. Perfect body positioning, hand placement, and lean on the tackle.

Haley's been looking for that skat-back, but doesn't need it now with Bell back. That man can do it all!!

I was saying this exact thing to my old man last night. He makes a five yard gain look sooooo damn effortless. Also, for a back who's not 250 pounds, he does not go down on first contact and guys are always bouncing off of him. I am really happy that Deangelo Williams is a Steeler and I wish he was here for his whole career. But If someone can legitimately state that they think Williams is still the better back, or option for this offense, they need their head examined.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Best RB in the league and it's not close right now

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Just saw this Bell leads the league in games of 175 yards from scrimmage with 5 since the start of the 2014 season. AB has 4 tied with Julio Jones

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Bell forced 9 missed tackles on just 23 touches according to PFF

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I admit, there were probably 4 or 5 runs last night that Bell "could" have broken that I'm sure the Chiefs will look at in film this week and say "thank God I got him.".

He was a magnificent *******! And I mean that in the awed sense. And for all my constant piling on of Pouncey... There he was leading Bell down field on be 40 yard run. (Of course I was terrified be was going to get them both rolled up on, but you know...)

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I admit, there were probably 4 or 5 runs last night that Bell "could" have broken that I'm sure the Chiefs will look at in film this week and say "thank God I got him.".

He was a magnificent *******! And I mean that in the awed sense. And for all my constant piling on of Pouncey... There he was leading Bell down field on be 40 yard run. (Of course I was terrified be was going to get them both rolled up on, but you know...)

Pouncey was moving. Good to see him back on the field and healthy.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Two words for Le'Veon Bell,

Franchise Tag

Yep this year and then next year under the franchise tag to show he has matured. then sign him if he has stayed out of trouble

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Ya just gotta give Bell another year, I'm all with the franchise tag for a year to prove he can keep his nose clean and stay on the field. Providing he does, give him the long term deal with some language in the contract regarding future suspensions for missing/failed tests.

His talent is undeniable!

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep this year and then next year under the franchise tag to show he has matured. then sign him if he has stayed out of trouble

Pretty sure that's exactly how it will play out. AB will get his deal next year. Bell probably the year after. He's gotta stay out of trouble. The guy is dynamic on the field. A real treat to watch play.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Le'Veon Bell's Unstoppable Versatility Turns Steelers from Solid to Scary

Le'Veon Bell's Unstoppable Versatility Turns Steelers from Solid to ScaryJoe Sargent/Getty Images
Mike
Freeman
Oct 3, 2016

It was a simple moment, the first of many, the first of what the Steelers missed with the absence of Le'Veon Bell and an indicator of what's to come.

Bell wasn't the star of the tantalizing atomization of the Kansas City Chiefs, 43-14, on Sunday night in Pittsburgh. The stars were Antonio Brown and Ben Roethlisberger and an offensive roster that, despite a dizzying loss to the Eagles last week, remains the deepest and nastiest in football.

But Bell is the warp core of the Steelers. He long has been and long will be. A simple moment, early in the game, is a reason why.

While Brown was impregnating the air with post-touchdown gyrations and Big Ben was doing Big Ben things, Bell was quietly working his way back into the offense after his suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. Early in the game, he lined up split wide, the move forcing the Chiefs to cover him with a linebacker.

Bell ran a simple down-and-in, dipping to the outside, juking a bit, then cutting inside. No linebacker can cover Bell. Short gain. Bell was back.

It was so simple, yet so important, getting him back in the flow, and now that Bell has returned, the rest of the NFL should be terrified.

The Steelers offense without Bell is formidable but can be stopped. The Steelers offense with Bell is Godzilla. It would take Mothra, Mechagodzilla, Luke Cage and a hand phaser to stop the Steelers now. I'm mixing my sci-fi references, but you get the point.

Pro Football Focus charted Bell's first 32 snaps. He spent 19 in the backfield as a runner, seven as an outside wideout, five in the slot and one at tight end. That's just incredible.

DeAngelo Williams has been outstanding as Bell's replacement and will go down as one of the most underappreciated players in recent league history. But he's no Bell. Then again, few backs are. Bell is this generation's version of Marcus Allen, and I do not use that comparison lightly, since Allen was one of the most versatile to ever do it. Bell is that good.

About the only thing that can stop Bell is a bong. Certainly, few defenses can.

Make no mistake about what we saw Sunday night in the demolition of the Chiefs. The Steelers destroyed a really good defense, and it's no coincidence they did it with Bell back in the lineup.

No, Kansas City didn't get much help from its Pleistocene-aged offense that considers a checkdown to be orgasmic, and Brown did the scoring and dancing, but Bell's abilities are what transforms the Pittsburgh offense from good to frightening.

Defenses were content to let Williams beat them as they shifted many of their resources to stop Brown and the passing game. Williams is good, but he's more of a plodder.

Defenses aren't willing to test Bell. You saw it with the Chiefs. When Bell was in the game, they ran a more balanced defense, because Bell was everywhere, and the Chiefs were scared of him. This is one of the reasons Brown has scored a billion touchdowns. Not solely because Brown is so talented, but also because of scheme and Bell.

Bell finished the game with 18 carries for 144 yards and five catches for 34 yards...in his first game back...against a good defense. NBC said it was the most total yards for Bell since Dec. 7, 2014. And he still has to be at least somewhat rusty.

What happens when this dude gets back in a groove?

Bell is so good, he makes the Steelers the team to beat in the AFC. I don't think it's the Patriots. It's close. Really close. But New England's defense just got torched by the Bills.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I would not call 16 points being torched, but anyways with Brady back the Pats will be scary. Brady will also be on a revenge tour. I also think at this point the Pats D is better than ours. Also can't forget about the Broncos. Their D is one of the best and the offense is better than expected. The problem with the Steelers is consistency. Redskins game was a blowout, but we had several breaks. The offense was not as sharp as the score. Cincy game was ugly, but bad weather / rival. Eagles game was a disaster, and the chiefs game was great all around. Out of 4 games the offense played to potential once. I know bell is back, but he would not have helped against the eagles. There was no blocking. Right now I would put the Pats first, then us followed by the broncos.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
People most attribute Bell's incredible running to patience, but I attribute it more to anticipation. He can see the smallest of running lanes/openings a full second or two before they develop and has the change of direction and acceleration to exploit them.

Combine that with him probably being the best receiving RB in the league, in terms of both route running and receiving skills, since Marshall Faulk, and the Steelers have one hell of a player.

I admit that I did not like the 2nd round pick of Bell in 2013. I liked his instincts and agility, but thought he was a step slow, an opinion that was somewhat validated in his rookie season; however, after losing those 15-20 pounds and adding that extra burst, the guy has become a ******* rushing/receiving machine.

He probably has a HOF career ahead of him, IF he can both stay healthy and lay off the magical grass.

Last edited:

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
People most attribute Bell's incredible running to patience, but I attribute it more to anticipation. He can see the smallest of running lanes/openings a full second or two before they develop and has the change of direction and acceleration to exploit them.

Combine that with him probably being the best receiving RB in the league, in terms of both route running and receiving skills, since Marshall Faulk, and the Steelers have one hell of a player.

I admit that I did not like the 2nd round pick of Bell in 2013. I liked his instincts and agility, but thought he was a step slow, an opinion that was somewhat validated in his rookie season; however, after losing those 15-20 pounds and adding that extra burst, the guy has become a ******* rushing/receiving machine.

The kid probably has a HOF career ahead of him, IF he can both stay healthy and lay off the magical grass.

He's a natural and runs great routes as a receiver. The dude is a freak athlete. I do think he is a bit slow. But his strides are so smooth it's fun to watch him run. It's like he's not trying

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
web-20161002pdSteelersSports15-12 Le’Veon Bell rushed for 102 yards in the second half Sunday against the Chiefs.
On The Steelers: Le'Veon Bell might be better than ever
October 4, 2016 12:00 AM
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

You have to hand it to Le’Veon Bell — and Ben Roethlisberger did that in one form or another 23 times Sunday — that when he’s healthy, when he’s not suspended, he is the NFL’s best running back.

And, according to one veteran Steelers starter, he might be better than ever.

Miss the first three games and all those practices for skipping drug tests? Rehabbing a torn up knee since November? He was as rusty as a Ferrari Spider back on the track after a short hiatus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bell averaged a mere 6.5 yards per carry in the first half of the Steelers’ whirlwind, 43-14 barbecue of the Kansas City Chiefs Sunday. That warm-up contained just six carries for 39 yards. He then went out and ticked off 105 yards on 12 carries in the second half.

His total: 144 yards rushing, an 8-yard average per carry and five receptions for another 34 yards.

Guard Ramon Foster, out with a chest injury, nevertheless saw something from the sideline in Bell he had not seen in his previous three years. Bell always was praised for his patience in waiting for a hole to open, picking it and hitting it.

“To me, it looks like he was more straight ahead,” said Foster, who added that’s a good thing. “Him in between tackles, his burst of speed, there wasn’t any hesitation in it. I thought he looked like a different guy.

“Now he’s one-cutting and going. Some of those runs, he was that close to being a house call. I think he switched it up a little bit, whether he wants to admit it or not. That may be just the growth of his game.”

Bell did not want to admit it.

“I don’t feel like I did. I felt I was out there just trying to find holes and do what I could. Sometimes, I feel like it was there so I have to take it, there’s no need to set up anything. The offensive line did a great job of opening up holes, so I took what I got.”

Whether his running style is evolving into something different/better, the Steelers leaned on his versatility as a receiver more Sunday night.

Bell lined up in the backfield, in the slot, in motion and split out wide like Antonio Brown. The poor Chiefs did not know where he was going, or how to stop him.

“You know, it’s hard because you treat him as a running back,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “You treat him as a wide receiver and that’s kind of what we wanted to do. He is a weapon wherever we put him. So we wanted to move him around and do some stuff, and I thought we could have even used him more in the passing game.”

Part of the plan was to pair Bell and DeAngelo Williams on occasion with Williams in the backfield and Bell split out somewhere. They did not do it all that often, but it was a start.

Bell played 88 percent of the offensive snaps, or 52 of the 59. Only the linemen and Roethlisberger played more. Williams was in for 17 offensive plays with four carries for 7 yards, including a touchdown run of 2 yards, and one catch for 2 yards.

Bell’s re-entry into the lineup was either coincidence or a big part of the reason the Steelers were able to go from three points in Philadelphia to 43 at Heinz Field in one week’s time.

“He’s the Juice,” Brown said, referring to a Bell nickname. “When he’s out there, you know what he’s going to give you and what he’s going to bring.”

Can he possibly be an improvement over the All-Pro Le’Veon Bell of 2014, when he played in all 16 regular-season games for the only time in his career (but missed their playoff loss with a knee injury)? He set the team record with 2,215 yards rushing and receiving that season. He caught 83 passes, 32 more than any back in their history.

“You name me a better back,” Foster said regarding those in the entire NFL. “You might have a speed back out there who is a straight blazer like [Shady] McCoy who can hit the corner real good. But, as far as a pure running back, I don’t see that.

“Le’Veon, I think, is the best at doing it out of the backfield, catching the ball, just making a move on the defensive linemen; there can’t be a better back, I don’t think.”

Todd Haley, their offensive coordinator, might have only touched on some of the things he plans for Bell as the season moves along.

“We had some more things in the playbook,” Tomlin said, “but other things were working, too.”

His teammates cannot wait to see what’s up their sleeves.

“That’s a position teams have almost X-ed out in a sense they might get 2-3 years out of a guy,’’ Foster said of the average NFL halfback. “But Le’Veon is one of those dudes where there’s no telling how much you can get out of him. His flexibility and him evolving at that position, not just being a runner, he’s motioning, he’s in the backfield, out of the backfield. I don’t know another dude who is doing what he’s doing.”

Ed Bouchette: ebouchette@post-gazette.com

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...ight-be-better-than-ever/stories/201610040060

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Mueller: With Bell back, Steelers now have ace in the hole
By Chris Mueller Special to The Times 10 hrs ago 0
Chiefs Steelers Football
Jared Wickerham/The Associated Press
Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell (26) gives one of his sweat bands to a fan as he leaves the field after an NFL football game against the Kansas City Chiefson Sunday in Pittsburgh.
Was it one of his catches out of the backfield? Was it one of the pedestrian plays he made, like effortlessly picking up an oncoming pass rusher and neutralizing a threat to Ben Roethlisberger? Or was it his spectacular run when the game was already decided — the vintage one, where he took what appeared to be a complete absence of space and seemed to teleport forty yards downfield?

Whatever your particular moment was, the realization probably put a smile on your face, at least if you root for the Steelers.

Le’Veon Bell is back. It is appropriate, too, that his return happened with Halloween mere weeks off, because he conjures up nightmares for opposing defenses and their coordinators.

It isn’t just that Bell dismantles defensive game plans. It is the way he does it that both thrills Steelers fans and flummoxes those tasked with stopping him. If a hole isn’t there, he waits until one is. If one never materializes, he churns out a few yards.

If a defender tries to take him out head on, he jukes them into an alternate universe. If someone breaks down early to try and anticipate one of his moves, he lowers a shoulder and runs them over. If he gets into the open field, his speed is plenty good enough to go the distance.

If he catches a screen pass, there exists the very real possibility that he will nimbly pick his way through the secondary and rip off a huge chunk of yardage. If he splits out like a wide receiver, only the number on his jersey belies the fact that he isn’t one by trade.

Le’Veon Bell gives the Steelers options. He gives them flexibility. He makes them nearly indefensible. An offense flush with weapons got perhaps its most dangerous one back.

The other thing, of course, is that after a tentative first series, Bell looked better than ever. He had burst, his vision was preternatural, and his ability to make people miss sublime. He looked like the best running back in the league, which is of course exactly what he is, when healthy.

It isn’t an overstatement to say that a healthy Bell is the difference between the Steelers fizzling out in the playoffs at some point or winning the Super Bowl. He’s that special.

The suspension that frustrated so many Steelers fans was probably forgotten sometime in the second quarter against Kansas City. Bell’s teammates, for one reason or another, have stood steadfastly in his corner during the whole ordeal, never giving him the Martavis Bryant treatment. Maybe his situation really is different, or maybe they simply know how important he is—even more so than Bryant, who is arguably a top-five receiver in the league in terms of natural physical gifts.

DeAngelo Williams has been a great story in his season plus wearing black and gold. He has been everything the team could possibly have hoped for in a backup, and plenty more. But any arguments about seriously divvying up touches between the two backs had to have evaporated after watching Bell. Seeing him at his best is like seeing someone playing a different game.

He is matchup hell for every team that lines up across from him, a chess grandmaster seeing a wild churn of moving bodies seemingly in slow motion, calculating moves several steps ahead. He can slice and dice like a surgeon, or destroy like a battering ram. He humiliates linebackers, safeties and cornerbacks in equal measure, and all in unique ways.

Perhaps you were frustrated by his latest transgression, or got caught up in what DeAngelo Williams was doing, or maybe it was a simply a case of “out of sight, out of mind”. Maybe Le’Veon Bell was off your radar. No more.

Le’Veon Bell is back. Pray for the rest of the NFL.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/s...cle_749d4ede-8a8f-11e6-8946-9fd597cd4f4a.html